“This is NOT a three star hotel!”

Aris Grand Place Hotel
Ranked #109 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Yes, it's location is about perfectly close to the Grand Place and the price shows it. My wife and I had a room on the top floor. Getting into bed on my side took turning sideways and bending over (low slanted ceiling that scraped my elbows). The ceiling has a massive brown area (leaking roof?), shredded curtains on both (tiny) windows, many apparently newly laid bathroom floor tiles were cracked (going the cheap way?). Lobby is fairly large but mostly (all day) dedicated to breakfast setup. No availability of soft drinks or ice cubes anywhere. Several desk staff appeared unhelpful and rather not bothered (my wife asked in the lobby for a glas of water to take her medication. Answer: "We do not provide room service"). No, this does not meet the standard for a 3-star hotel (perhaps 1 1/2?).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed one night at Aris for one night before my flight to Rome Italy. And i loved the location.. you can walk from Central Brussels Train station only few minutes you can walk and reach Grand Place. The room was clean and spacious enough, the bathroom was clean. The only thing i didn't like was we have to pay 10euro for breakfast, but i was ok with that because the room was affordable and i got good price when i booked that. The internet was free at lobby. If you have to sleep at peaceful and quiet area.. you will not like Aris. You have to expect this is centre of the city and Grand Place area is crowded surrounded with people partying, and many bars around this area . The staff were friendly. I enjoyed my stay at Aris hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here just before setting off for tomorrowland festival 2013 in nearby Boom. I love Brussels as a city, and the position of this hotel was perfect for walking around grand place, then heading up past brussels central station, by the Mont des arts and round the Parc Royale. I was lucky to get theroom on the top floor, overlooking the Grasmarkt. waking up to the sun shining, seeing the numerous eateries setting up, and tourist strolling round, with Grand Place the other side of the road. Granted, the rooms weren't the Ritz, but i slept well on the single bed, and wished i could have stayed longer.. would definitely stay again when im next in brussels. room was clean, tidy, had a television, and shower facilities.

Room Tip: ask for the room on top floor facing the main street. its an amazing view. i sat on window ledge for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed with a few mates during a football tour. Hotel was clean, great location to bars and Grand-Place. Walking distance to the station. Day staff were friendly, night porter wasn't! Noisy late at night and also when the bin men are cleaning the streets about 5am ( lucky I took earplugs). Overall, enjoyed my stay here and would probably stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was the first hotel I stayed at on my 10 day trip and was probably my favourite. The staff was very pleasant when we arrived early and we were to leave out bags in a secure room until check-in at 3pm. The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable with good sheets. Only annoying thing was that the beds were two twin beds pushed together and preferably it would have been nice to get a double. (not sure if they had double beds)

The best part about this hotel was the location. So many restaurants and shops in the area and it was about a 13 euro taxi from brussels midi. There is a taxi stand right next to the hotel if you need one early in the morning to get to a train.

Look at booking this hotel on a third party service because I was able to get a double room for $120 CDN for the night when the actual price at reception was 270 Euros for a double. For $120 it was well worth the money.

Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt back onto the alley. Garbage trucks can be loud at 5am
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

As long as you book this place in the full knowledge that it is in a tired state then you should have no complaint.

Con's : The rooms are dated, the breakfast awful. The decor dated. The bedrooms in the stairwells are small and there was, in the room they thought I'd accept, black damp on the window sills so make it abundantly clear you don't want one of these ones. The room i was given, whilst a little larger was vey basic. The price, come on!!! This is a 1 star hotel charging 4 star prices!!!!

Pro's : The location. The staff I dealt with were kind and actually attentive. Apparently there was also free wifi. The linen and bathroom were clean.

Overall, only stay here as a last resort.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. If you're the last one to turn up and are presented with the stairwel...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed here with some friends at the beginning of October, I had a single room. I booked the room through a 3rd party and paid £200 per room for 3 nights. Which considering the location was a great deal, especially when we saw signs for €160 a night in the reception.

The location is amazing, exactly what you would want, the main Central station is a 5 minute walk, as well as underground stations around the same distance. Plenty of places to shop, eat & drink a stone throws away.

We arrived around 2, we were told we couldn’t book in until after 3:30, the staff on the reception were very friendly and said we could come back at any time. So we left our bags in the lock up and went to explore, came back around 5, checked in no problem.

The single room I had was clean, bed linen all clean, a small LCD tv was on the desk. Never turned it on. The bed was a single but big enough, my only gripe would be that there wasn’t a quilt. It was a sheet with an itchy blanket on top. It was warm enough though, well at least I think it was, Belgium beer is strong, so I probably would’ve fell asleep on a park bench the 1st night.
The other nights were a more sober affair, I had no problem sleeping.

The bathroom was clean, my towels were replaced daily, the shower itself was good, it heated up quickly and there were no issues with drainage.

I didn’t have a breakfast, it looked basic, was continental buffet style. It was €12 if you hadn’t booked. To be honest, save your money, there was a nice little café with fresh pastries across the street
Our stay at the Aris was enjoyable, there were no complaints from the group.

Room Tip: Cheap rates available online, no value on a walk in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends