“Very nice place”

and 1 more site!
The Residence Les Ecrins
Ranked #65 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We got an upgrade from our original booking, therefore our impression of this place might be a little bit biased. We stayed in a very spacious apartment, clean, comfortable and well localized (15mins walk to the Grand Place). The breakfast was very very good!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is 3 mins away from a metro station (St Catherine) and 10 min walk to city center. Restaurants and bars close are very good. There are also supermarkets nearby. The wi-fi connection in my room was not strong, but it could be used at the reception with no concerns. I recommend it and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank rafaeldc23
ecrins, Gérant at The Residence Les Ecrins, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Hello,
We had some spots in the residence with a weak wifi signal but since the middle of October,
In order to satisfy our guests 100%, we asked to an informaticien to improve the wifi signal and now, the signal is strong everywhere.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Arriving at the hotel is very easy as it is very close to the Ste Catherine/St Katelijne metro stop which is two stops from the Gare Centrale/ Centraal Station. Our host, Edward was really lovely and managed to sort out things for us even though we were early arriving at the hotel. The hotel is about a 10-minute walk from the Grand Place/Grote Markt, and the area around (Place Ste Catherine) is surrounded by charming seafood restaurants and cafes which are open quite late.

The rooms themselves are very clean and comfortable. I had a single room with shared toilets/shower facilities and always found them clean and rarely engaged. My family had the double rooms and found the bathrooms and rooms spacious and spotless. The only downside is that the rooms that face the street will always have traffic rushing past along the cobbled stones (and a rubbish truck early around 7:00 in the morning on a Monday) which can get quite loud. Avoid the room immediately on the left as you come in (if you can) as you will hear the door opening/closing throughout the evening/night as guests come in and out.

Breakfast was lovely which fresh croissants and pastries. There is fresh fruit available and lovely coffee and a selection of teas. More than enough food and endless coffee and we were stuffed everyday.

Wifi is available throughout the building for free, and Edward is very helpful with a highlighter and a map to sort you out with the best walking tour for your needs.

All in all, a lovely place to stay centrally in Brussels that has much more charm and character than a faceless hotel. Only downside is it can get a bit noisy if you're a light sleeper. Fortunately for me, I'm not, so I had a most lovely stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street, and especially the room on the ground floor by the entrance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chefmignon
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here during our trip to Europe. The front desk attendant was very friendly and helpful at suggesting things to see in Brussels and also with local restaurants for dinner. We had a front room and the street was a bit noisier then we would have thought, but it was not a problem. And the desk attendant offered us two different rooms at check in, a front one and a back one, noting that the front can be noise, so we opted for the front. So if noise might keep you up, ask for a back room. I would definitely recommend this place and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I only stayed 1 night at Residence Les Ecrins and had a great experience. To caveat this review - I arrived early evening and left early in the morning before breakfast.

Service was great. The manager greeted me at the door by name. I had a small, simple yet clean room on the top floor with a private bathroom (the manager have me a free upgrade from a shared bath).

Manage your expectations - The shower is small for American standards but typical for Europe and was perfect. Be advised, there is no elevator and 4 levels.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay despite having concerns when I booked it from the US and not knowing it since it's not a chain. I definitely would stay here again and recommend it. My biggest disappointment was that a room was not available when I returned to Brussels weeks later.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SergioFW
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Our room was recently renovated and comfortable. The location is quiet however don't leave your window open or the Mosquitos will get in.

The front desk staff when we arrived were excellent however the breakfast guy lacked charm. He reluctantly gave us a 2nd cup of coffee but only when we asked.

Which brings us to the Achilles heel, the breakfast. Meagre and plain is the best description for a bread roll, croissant, and various spreads. No cereal, yoghurt, fruit, eggs, or meats. I don't think that additions of these items would break their bank or make a large price increase but it would certainly raise my rating up to a 4.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris19531955
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went to The Residence Les Ecrins for a long weekend, and it turned out to be a great choice. Staff was very helpful with everything (check-in, city recommendations etc.) and the room was more than decent (it could have had more style but that's all). This place has the perfect location: It's in a nice neighbourhood, very close to the city center yet far enough to have a bit of serenity. One of its strengths is definitely the breakfast, it was not much in quantity but was very delicious (fresh croissants etc.). Would recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family