“Good location, spacious apartments, but for the rest...”
Review of Le Coup de Coeur

Le Coup de Coeur
Ranked #126 of 210 Brussels B&B and Inns
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Good location, spacious apartments, but for the rest...”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A preliminary comment: readers of those reviews ought to be aware that the “Coup de Coeur” consists of several different locations in the centre of Brussels. My review relates specifically to their apartments located on Sainte-Anne street; I can’t comment about other locations.

There are definitely some positive aspects to this place. First and foremost, for the price, the size of this two-bedroom apartment is quite satisfactory, as is the equipment: fully equipped kitchen with normal and microwave ovens, dishwasher, Nespresso coffee machine; digital TV and iPod docking station etc. The location, close to the Grand-Sablon market square, is excellent (right in the historic centre but less outrageously touristy than the Grand-Place…).

But there were significant negatives as well. To start with, the building’s entrance looks shabby; the door is next to a huge pile of rubbish, and the entrance corridor was full of waste and construction material… Next, the general cleanliness of the place leaves a great lot to be desired! It looked like floors were seldom – if ever – cleaned. Some elements of the bathroom, like the rotten wooden plinth at the base of the tub, were in desperate need of repair. Blankets were stained.

But the most unpleasing aspect of our stay was the quality of the welcome (or rather lack thereof…): very cold and arrogant when we arrived (not to mention the most impolite and inappropriate practice of criticizing other guests before me e.g. “those Japanese tourist who don’t understand anything”…), it turned into a little drama a few hours later when the owner pretended my credit card was refused (I’ve used it all over the world and this never happened, and it was still working in several other places the following day!); the owner (Charlotte) tried to contact me by multiple means in a sort of panic so that I had to switch off my mobile to stop this harassment, after having duly indicated that this could easily be settled in the evening or on one of the following days… As we came back to the apartment we found a note from the management urging us to contact them ASAP… which we did, after which they came at 8:30pm on the same day requesting immediate payment, although the first night had already been paid for months!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Lablanche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's not your typical B&B but it definitely has character! Each room is quite unique. We stayed in the Alligator room. Very spacious and comfortable. Great location right in the heart of the city. Can walk to many major attractions. Tons of bars and restaurants nearby. The owner, Arnaud, was very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast simple but yummy. We stayed in July 2011 so my review is a bit outdated but I would go back based on our first visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Wonderful B&B - best room I have ever had in my life - real linen, comfy chairs to lounge and beautiful decor - and the breakfast was exceptional in fresh fruit and lovely boiled egg and fresh orange juice...could not have been nicer

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is an odd but fun B&B in the very center of Brussels. Arnaud (the owner) was welcoming and attentive to our needs, he prepared a mean breakfast! Good central location in a calm street, away from the bustling tourists. Kooky “storefront like” lobby with a simple but comfortable reading area. Good wi-fi access. Our room was large with a good bed, but it was very bare and lacked basic creature comforts; like a safe, good closet space, thermostat (we had to open the window in order to sleep, but the streets are a noisy with people talking loudly, therefore highly reducing sleep quality). The small closet was odd with its mish-mash of plastic and wire hangers and a minibar fridge at its base, which always kept the space at a high temperature. The basic room décor lacks warmth, it´s very bare but cool… I think more attention is given to the décor than to the upkeep of the room. Unfortunately the room and bathroom were not very clean, if you are allergic to dust do not stay here. The bathroom is spacious and leads to a small private deck, which is not very welcoming unless you smoke … there was a huge pile of cigarette butts on the ledge, which was very disturbing to look at. The bathroom has a good large shower and a vintage bathtub and two sinks. As I mentioned, we were unhappy with the upkeep of the bathroom, found toothpaste stains and hairs throughout the area and our drinking glasses were stained white with toothpaste. With all these drawbacks we still found our experience good, and we enjoyed our stay at Le Coup de Cour.

Room Tip: Ask for a CLEAN room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had booked the apartment because of its location on the Grand Place. On the day I was travelling to Brussels, I received an email from Arnaud telling me to go to a different address (300m from the Grand Place, he said) - no apology, no other options. At the alternative address, there was no-one to let me in, doorbell wasn't working, had to hang around in freezing cold for 20 minutes. This place was NOT 300 m from the Grand Place, it was a good 15 minutes walk away, not convenient at all for all the sights, restaurants and shops we wanted to be near. Felt completely ripped off: if I had known, I would have booked a different apartment in a location of my own choosing. Not fair to move people at such short notice to a venue not even close to original one, with no choice, no apology and no explanation, other than the original apt 'is not accessible' - whatever that means. Beware of this outfit!

Room Tip: Beware you are not moved from the advertised apt to some other location not on the Grand Place at al...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank KeenTraveller117
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I I chose the appartment because of its location right on the Grande Place. To enter the appartment you have to go through a chocolate store which is quite cool. The appartment is situated in the back of a building on the grand place: you will cross a little back yard to access it. There are no views on the Grande Place like I thought there were looking at the pictures. On a positive note the appartment was BEAUTIFUL, high ceilings, superb living room, modern mezzanine with lovely furniture and great style and design. It is beautifully restored and huge. The bed was extremely confortable and there was a nespresso machine which is also a great touch!

There was a bit of confusion from the owner who emailed me on the day we were arriving that he could not find my reservation: this was very frustrating. You have to contact him before yoru stay as he did not contact me to let me know of how to get the keys. I was really disappointed as it is NOT on grande place but in the back of it. There is no view as I expected from the pictures. The kitchen is beautiful but there is not a good selection of ustensils (3 mini plates not even matching, two glasses, no cooking tools!) or even a frying pan. There is no microwave! We brought eggs and bacon for our breakfast and at the end could not cook it at all! we emailed and called the number given at check in but we never had a reply. The appartment is quite expensive and one would assume that you dont need to worry about the kitchen's facilities... One of the garbage was not emptied and had a used condom in it... def not standard for such an expensive place... Finally nobody told us about check out time: we just assumed it was 12 like in any appartment and we got a very rude guy coming at 11:30, talking on the phone with the owner who was yelling because we did not leave yet and other people wanted to leave their bags in the appartment... we felt kicked out in a awful way. Overall a very dissapointing and expensive stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Strange thing is I've spent a lot of time in Belgium and seen practically every place from Mol (North) to Mons (South) and from Brugge (West) to Liege (East) at least once in my lifetime so far, but this was my second visit tot Brussels in 30 years time.
Having said that Le Coup de Coeur is probably the most ideal situated and affordable B&B among the B&B's of all EU-capitals. A mere five minute walk from the city's Central Station and the same distance from the Grote Markt (Grand'Place). And although they've only got three rooms, the size of the rooms is incredible, at least to European standards. Never seen a bathroom that huge in any capital.
The fact that they only have three rooms is probably the reason for LCdC to keep a low profile: the place is hardly recognizable from the street. We passed it several times looking for it thinking it was some kind of fashion shop with that display mannequin in the window.
Another big advantage of staying in LCdC is that they have wonderful neighbours on the same square: we had lunch at Brasserie de Bruxelles (great atmosphere) and dinner at Le Cap on the other side of the square. Very useful turned out to be the alimentary directly opposite to LCdC: he delivered us the chilled bottle of white wine we needed to end our day in Brussels in style.
Finally some downsides: there's no elevator in the building and the stairs are dangerously steep and narrow when you carry heavy luggage. Second: be prepared for nightlife noise from outside and some disturbance from LCdC-guests below or above you. But then again, if those things bother you, stay out of a city center and find a room in one of those soundproof hotelbunkers near the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple