“Did not show and will not refund!!!! FRAUD!”
Review of Le Coup de Coeur

Le Coup de Coeur
Ranked #130 of 212 Brussels B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First let me say that I currently live in Europe and travel as often as I can so I know that sometimes things don't work out or there are issues but dealing with Arnaud just disgust me and as a customer I am very angry. I was excited to show my best friend Brussels as it is one of my favorite cities in Europe but was very let down after our night started with being stood up! We emailed our arrival time not once but twice and showed up right on time to get the keys and begin our night but as we waited outside the door for an hour and a half we had to make the decision to find another hotel since it was already after 2000. With living in Germany I was not able to use my cell phone after we entered Belgium but even after we found a new hotel and I was able to access my email there was no contact from Arnaud and there was no reply when I emailed him stating we had waited but due to the time we had no choice but to find another hotel. We were charged for the full two nights that we booked and they refuse to give us a refund even though this was no fault of ours, they need to take responsibility and either meet their guest or close the hotel. DO NOT BOOK!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Danielle C

Reviewed 2 September 2013

As a somewhat world weary well travelled almost 50 year old woman, it takes a lot to jolt me, delight me and sensually spoil me. However, this bed and breakfast did just that! If only Brussels as a whole could live up to Le Coup de Coeur! For a bed & breakfast, it is a class above the ordinary -it is incredibly aesthetically pleasing. Arnaud has considered details which delight the senses so there is beautiful music playing in the background and candles burning as you enter the communal areas.
This is not a residence for those who favour function over delighting the senses! I could find quibbles which irritated me a little- almost non-existent hanging space for clothes, for example, but what does that matter when you can bathe in a palatial bathroom and feel like a princess!
The location is fabulous. Wi-fi is strong and suited our business requirements. I will recommend this place to everyone i know & will return, but again, it suits the romantic inclined!

Room Tip: All rooms are quite amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A preliminary comment: readers of those reviews ought to be aware that the “Coup de Coeur” consists of several different locations in the centre of Brussels. My review relates specifically to their apartments located on Sainte-Anne street; I can’t comment about other locations.

There are definitely some positive aspects to this place. First and foremost, for the price, the size of this two-bedroom apartment is quite satisfactory, as is the equipment: fully equipped kitchen with normal and microwave ovens, dishwasher, Nespresso coffee machine; digital TV and iPod docking station etc. The location, close to the Grand-Sablon market square, is excellent (right in the historic centre but less outrageously touristy than the Grand-Place…).

But there were significant negatives as well. To start with, the building’s entrance looks shabby; the door is next to a huge pile of rubbish, and the entrance corridor was full of waste and construction material… Next, the general cleanliness of the place leaves a great lot to be desired! It looked like floors were seldom – if ever – cleaned. Some elements of the bathroom, like the rotten wooden plinth at the base of the tub, were in desperate need of repair. Blankets were stained.

But the most unpleasing aspect of our stay was the quality of the welcome (or rather lack thereof…): very cold and arrogant when we arrived (not to mention the most impolite and inappropriate practice of criticizing other guests before me e.g. “those Japanese tourist who don’t understand anything”…), it turned into a little drama a few hours later when the owner pretended my credit card was refused (I’ve used it all over the world and this never happened, and it was still working in several other places the following day!); the owner (Charlotte) tried to contact me by multiple means in a sort of panic so that I had to switch off my mobile to stop this harassment, after having duly indicated that this could easily be settled in the evening or on one of the following days… As we came back to the apartment we found a note from the management urging us to contact them ASAP… which we did, after which they came at 8:30pm on the same day requesting immediate payment, although the first night had already been paid for months!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Lablanche
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's not your typical B&B but it definitely has character! Each room is quite unique. We stayed in the Alligator room. Very spacious and comfortable. Great location right in the heart of the city. Can walk to many major attractions. Tons of bars and restaurants nearby. The owner, Arnaud, was very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast simple but yummy. We stayed in July 2011 so my review is a bit outdated but I would go back based on our first visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Wonderful B&B - best room I have ever had in my life - real linen, comfy chairs to lounge and beautiful decor - and the breakfast was exceptional in fresh fruit and lovely boiled egg and fresh orange juice...could not have been nicer

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is an odd but fun B&B in the very center of Brussels. Arnaud (the owner) was welcoming and attentive to our needs, he prepared a mean breakfast! Good central location in a calm street, away from the bustling tourists. Kooky “storefront like” lobby with a simple but comfortable reading area. Good wi-fi access. Our room was large with a good bed, but it was very bare and lacked basic creature comforts; like a safe, good closet space, thermostat (we had to open the window in order to sleep, but the streets are a noisy with people talking loudly, therefore highly reducing sleep quality). The small closet was odd with its mish-mash of plastic and wire hangers and a minibar fridge at its base, which always kept the space at a high temperature. The basic room décor lacks warmth, it´s very bare but cool… I think more attention is given to the décor than to the upkeep of the room. Unfortunately the room and bathroom were not very clean, if you are allergic to dust do not stay here. The bathroom is spacious and leads to a small private deck, which is not very welcoming unless you smoke … there was a huge pile of cigarette butts on the ledge, which was very disturbing to look at. The bathroom has a good large shower and a vintage bathtub and two sinks. As I mentioned, we were unhappy with the upkeep of the bathroom, found toothpaste stains and hairs throughout the area and our drinking glasses were stained white with toothpaste. With all these drawbacks we still found our experience good, and we enjoyed our stay at Le Coup de Cour.

Room Tip: Ask for a CLEAN room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had booked the apartment because of its location on the Grand Place. On the day I was travelling to Brussels, I received an email from Arnaud telling me to go to a different address (300m from the Grand Place, he said) - no apology, no other options. At the alternative address, there was no-one to let me in, doorbell wasn't working, had to hang around in freezing cold for 20 minutes. This place was NOT 300 m from the Grand Place, it was a good 15 minutes walk away, not convenient at all for all the sights, restaurants and shops we wanted to be near. Felt completely ripped off: if I had known, I would have booked a different apartment in a location of my own choosing. Not fair to move people at such short notice to a venue not even close to original one, with no choice, no apology and no explanation, other than the original apt 'is not accessible' - whatever that means. Beware of this outfit!

Room Tip: Beware you are not moved from the advertised apt to some other location not on the Grand Place at al...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family