“Great find!”

Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: No telephone. No reservations. No credit cards. Simple place, simple food.
Liverpool
“Great find!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great restaurant, quirky, good choice of beers and a super menu. The meals were huge and delicious!! We both had the pork tagliatelli which was very good. Staff were very helpful too and the place was busy. We didn't book but only had to wait a few minutes to be seated. In a great location close to bars, I'd highly recommend.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ontario, Canada
“Delectable Belgian cuisine in the heart of the city”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my first foray to Belgium and one of my main priorities for this excursion was to ensure that I conducted a rigorous study of authentic Belgian gastronomical affairs.

Upon reading reviews from my fellow tripadvisor correspondents, my companion and I arrived by Villo (the excellent Brussels bicycle network) to Fin de Siecle on an evening in late May. It is an interesting configuration, an old building with vaulted ceilings, exposed bricks, cournices, and mouldings galore, with a hipster flair. I almost felt as though it were the 1920s, and we we going to discuss problems of philosophy.

The food is nothing short of superb. I ordered the large piece of pork on the bone, with grainy mustard and a side salad. Very, very good. Accompanied by a glass of Belgian beer, comme il faut.

My companion had the beef "ongelet." Thinly sliced, tender, and lovingly-prepared beef served with mashed potato (to my recollection, she enjoyed the dish immensely, so much so that, had time allowed, we had planned to come back for a second meal at the end of our vacation, which, thanks to RyanAir, unfortuantely did not come to pass.

Prices are very reasonable (low teens for a main course).

Not a place for a highly-romantic dinner, but a very enjoyable and savoury meal with your spouse, friends, family, or all of them together!

Avoid the tourist trap restaurants and pay a visit to Fin de siecle. Afterwards, stop by Mannekin Pis for a post-supper waffle.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Factchecker4
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We went here for dinner on Monday evening and restaurant was packed,but we got lucky to be seated in couple minutes. I have to say meals were delicious! So tasty! This is must when you are in Brussels! Bon Apetit!

1 Thank ZuzanaSinkova
Porto Alegre, RS
“Don't think twice: stoemp saucisses!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Just went there for their famed stoemp saucisses, a classic bruxelloise specialty consisting of nothing but two delicious grilled saussages over mashed potatoes with vegetables. Outstanding! If I had to eat one meal in Brussels, this would be it. The place fills up quick, mostly with locals (always a good sign!) so get there before 7pm if you can, drink a couple of great Belgian beers while you wait for hunger to kick in, and don't think twice: stoemp saucisses is a classic for a good reason, and Fin de Siècle definitely delivers.

Visited June 2014
Lisbon
“Knock out meals”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Staying for two nights in Brussels and wanting to have two nice dinners and avoid the hordes of tourist traps around the Grand Place, I turned to TripAdvisor for advice (as I normally do). I decided to have a go at Fin de Siécle and ended up going there on both evenings.
On the first night (Monday), I went in around 8.15 pm, the restaurant was quite crowded but there were some tables available (the city was fairly quiet as well, could have been a bank holiday). On the following night, I went in around 9 pm and the place was packed; I had to wait for about 10 minutes to be able to squeeze into a table for 1 person.
On both occasions, however, service was very friendly and efficient and the food was very tasty. I wanted to try real Belgian food and break away from the "mussels and frites"; this does seem to be the right place for it. I had Carbonnades, on the first evening, and grilled sausages on the second evening. The food was delicious, well prepared and well presented, quite rustic (which was good) and the portions were huge. Actually, I saw other dishes going to other tables and the portions seemed to be even bigger (the roasted ham with moustard was such a case). I dare you to have a three course meal (or even a two course meal) without previously fasting for a day, at least!
I had a bottled beer on the first evening and a glass of red wine on the second. The list of available drinks seemed adequate to me (this is a rustic restaurant, not fine dining). The food menu has over 20 entries on offer, so you'll surely find something that takes your fancy.
Prices are reasonable and are quite good value for money, considering the huge portions. I payed under €20 on both occasions for couvert (basket of bread and two small packs of butter), drink and huge main dish (I couldn’t eat even a humble bread crumb after this…).
I tend to avoid places with a high density of tourists, such as this one. However, this Fin de Siécle seems to have a healthy mix of tourists and locals, which for me is a reassurance that it is quite genuine and consistent. I hope the owners keep the high standards to match the increasing demand. I'll definitely go back.

Visited June 2014