“Luxury at a price”
Review of Hotel Amigo

Hotel Amigo
Ranked #3 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My wife and I booked into the Hotel Amigo for just one night during a four day stop in Europe for some Christmas shopping. We'd stayed two nights in a 3* hotel in Lille, so this 5* booking was done as a little surprise for the mrs.

First impressions were good. The hotel is fabulously located just a stones throw from Grand Place, the town hall and the Christmas market stalls (which cover a larger area and are of a higher standard than the Christmas market stalls in Lille).

On arrival the hotel exuded class in every quarter. It was grand, but not over the top. Staff were impeccably dressed and polite, but not pompous or snooty. The doormen would initiate conversation, but weren't intrusive. Every member of staff from the concierge to the cleaners were professional, cheerful and friendly, which for me is such an important part of the service an upmarket hotel should provide. The hotel foyer was plush, but had a relaxing feel to it and a magnificently decorated sparkling silver santa sleigh, loaded with presents, completed the homely Christmas feel.

We stayed on the 5th floor. The request I made with my online booking was for a room with a balcony/view if possible. As I walked up to the hotel I realised that given its location, a view wasn't likely as it is situated in elegant narrow streets with similar sized buildings all around. However, the room they provided looked closely out onto a beautifully designed church and softly cobbled streets.

The room itself was immaculately clean, the bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept in, with soft, luxurious quilted sheets. An unexpected turndown service provided a full breakfast menu and slippers left by the bed. The decor was rich and tasteful, but not twee or cluttered. The bathroom was finished to a high standard with tile and marble. A large vanity mirror and all the amenities you would expect.

The only downside to this hotel for me was that extras such as wifi, movies and room service were so expensive. I guess if you had the kind of money for this type of hotel to be your regular stay, such things wouldn't be an issue, but I found them unnecessarily high priced.

Wifi: €10 for 1hr, €20 for 24hrs or €100 for a week.
Movies: €24 for a new release which made €6 for an older movie like Wall-E feel like an absolute bargain.
Breakfast: €28 for a continental or €33 for a Full English.

I could well believe at the Hotel Amigo I would have received the fastest running wifi, the best quality HD and surround sound and the tastiest breakfast in all of Christendom, but at those prices I wasn't willing to find out. It's a shame, such simple things as free wifi and a free movie to unwind to (even if it isn't the latest release) cost very little and would have been the icing on the cake for what turned out to be an extremely pleasurable stay.

While on the subject of high prices, just a little side note: The gift shop and chocolatier opposite the Hotel Amigo has definitely cashed in on the clientele provided by such an established luxury hotel chain... The gifts and handmade chocolates available there can be found at several other locations in the surrounding streets at the same high standard, but a lower price.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Big-Guy-Abroad
Write a ReviewReviews (2,459)

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I took my partner for a birthday treat for a day. It was a bit of a world wind trip but the staff were excellent especially reception and the room was very comfortable so much so we nearly missed our dinner. The hotel is certainly not cheap but perfect central location best in the city I'd say.If you are getting a taxi to the aiport its quite expensive so would recommend the train and rush hour is very hectic.

Overall expensive but worth it if you want a treat.

5  Thank philmanchester
Hotel Managemen... H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you to have chosen the Amigo for your visit in Brussels and for the kind comments you have shared. Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is very much appreciated. Please be assured I have shared your positive comments with all the staff of the hotel.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Amigo, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your remarks.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Service par excellence!!! From check-in (with "Sweet" Caroline) to our check-out-- everyone was SOO friendly and warm. Great breakfast and dinner in Bocconi's. Beautiful executive room with separate shower, bidet, heated towel bar, mosaic marble floor, luxurious bath products. Whimsical pictures on the walls--"Magritte clouds" in our entrance foyer.Highly recommended--location and service and ambiance make this property the best. The concierge even arranged porter service for us at the Brussels train station on our way to Bruges. Don't even hestitate to stay here--see the attached photos.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms With Separate Shower
3  Thank worldtravellerbill
Hotel Managemen... H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Brussels is a wonderful city to visit and the Grande Place is spectacular with the light show, but the Christmas Markets and Christmas Lights make it even more magical. What better way to enjoy your stay than in this wonderful hotel, friendly, helpful and attentive service in a location that is 50m from the Grande Place.

The rooms are elegant and very comfortable and the staff are very welcoming. This is one of the best hotels we have had the fortune to stop in.

Well worth the trip.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Nomadion
Hotel Managemen... H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you to have chosen the Amigo for your visit in Brussels and for the nice comments you have shared. Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is very much appreciated. Please be assured I have shared your positive comments with all the staff of the hotel.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Not a 'standard' upmarket hotel. There are flavours of Belgium in the bedrooms and the location is fantastic. The name 'Rocco Forte' should be hint enough about the cost. But if you want upmarket and different, this is a place to try

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Pi31415
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Great Place, easy to get to from Central Station or Bourse Metro stations. Next to Main square. I would reccomend to all my friends.

2  Thank J0eyC
Hotel Managemen... H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Reviewed 22 November 2011

recently stayed here for one night. Hotel was easy to get to from the excellent Eurostar train.
We found the hotel to be well located and in a nice area. Upon arrival our cab door was opened for us and we were ushered to reception where the staff were competent and courteous.
The room we had was excellent aswell. a huge and comfortable bed and good clean surrounds. the bathroom was also clean, tidy and reasonably up to date with a proper bath that a tall person like myself could totally submerge. The night we stayed,there was a large party of British people enjoying themselves but the rooms were totally quiet. The only noise was from the streets below so sleeping with the window open was not easy.
After having had a long evening and a good dinner in town, we returned to the Amigo for a night cap. Again, polite and capable staff that also had a sense of humour as we were slightly worse for ware but still well behaved. The bar was perhaps slightly on the expensive side but I cannot compare their prices with other local hotels. We did not eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on food quality.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank loveroaming48

Dear Guest,

I have read your remarks with great attention and I was very pleased to know that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. We have taken good note about the noise disturbance during your stay from the surrounding area.
Our windows are soundproofed however due to the exclusive location of the hotel, only few steps from the Grand Place, the heart of Belgium and the high activities related to the centre of the capital, the night life in our area might result some noise disturbance from some special events happening on the Grand Place.
In order to have more quiet room, please mention during the reservation process that you would like a room on the inside court.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Amigo, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your comments.