“New Year break”

GreenLeadersGold level
Southampton, United Kingdom
“New Year break”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Beautiful hotel with old world charm, spacious bedroom and fabulous bathroom (no noise from the traffic except New Year's eve fireworks ). Very warm and comfortable. We had breakfast every morning and lovely pancakes. Staff were very helpful. great location for the christmas market at St Catherine where there are great restaurants. Handy for shopping and en route to Grand Place. Took the bus tours around the city and the stop was just down the road. No kettle/tea/coffee in the room was the only complaint.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked this hotel for three nights through lastmin.com for the Christmas break - we wanted to get away this year. As luck would have it, two days before we were due to go (we were a party of 5), 2 of us got flu and 2 of us had to have a tooth out! So we were pretty ill.
We were due to arrive at the hotel on Monday night. I called lastmin.com on the Sunday to try and cancel the booking and they said I should speak to the hotel. I called the hotel who said I needed to speak to last min. After lots of going forwards and backwards, i called the hotel and asked them if we could just move the dates to another time so i didnt lose my money. I needed an answer on the Sunday night otherwise I was going to have to travel there on Monday morning.

Anyways heard nothing until Monday. Lastmin were USELESS and I will never book through them again. The hotel allowed us to push our stay forward one day at no cost - perfect - so we left on the Tuesday morning.

Arrived there Tuesday evening - hotel was easy to find and we were lucky to have parking outside. Check in guys were OK. They offered us the chance to buy a breakfast coupon at 20 euros per person. I said to the guy I would have a think about it and let them know. Then two mornings later, I went to the reception and asked the lady if I could buy a token for breakfast at 20 EUROS and she said i couldnt as I didnt do it the instant the man offered it to me so I would have to pay 29 EUROS. Complete con given I had told the guy I would let him know and he said that was fine!

I also thought the bell boy / concierge was rude and unhelpful. I asked the hotel to order a cab for us for FIVE people. Went outside and there was one cab for four. I said to the bell boy we needed one for FIVE and instead of doing something helpful about it, he just mumbled that they didnt have 5 seater cabs in Brussels. Anyway we split up and I went in the first cab. I asked him to make sure the driver had the correct address for the second cab which my parents would go in. Did he give them the right details? Have a guess...NO!

Rooms are OK - lights are a bit dim and I wouldn't say this is a luxury hotel - instead, I would say it is FFP (Fit for purpose).

We were getting really ill again and so decided not to stay on the last night. Asked reception if we could do anything about losing that last night that we had paid for. They didnt want to help at all. Kept saying ask lastmin.com. I know for a fact that they could have looked into it themselves. Its fine though - you remember these things.

On check out, I asked for the bill. It took four attempts by the lady to get me the correct bill. First one didnt have the correct charges. Then she wanted to charge me city tax for a night I wasnt even staying there. Then a new bill arrives with double breakfast charges. Then it wasnt easy to pay part cash and part card. It was all a bit of a faff.

I do not feel like i got the service I would have expected from a 4 star hotel here if I am honest. I would stay here if i needed somewhere for the night but I think in future, I will stick to Sheraton.Hilton as I have tried them and know they are OK.

Room was also very hot - no air con!

Pretty good location though - easy to walk into main town area

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Majorplayer123
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

First visit to Brussels and very pleased we chose Le Plaza. Stunning hotel, immaculate in every way, very luxurious and 'old style' sophistication and very pleasant helpful staff on reception. Given upgrade of rooms on arrival, lovely large room and spacious bathroom. Very peaceful location so great nights sleep the whole time. Didn't breakfast at hotel as very pricey, plenty of small cafes in shopping area at decent prices (or last resort an immaculate McDonalds opposite!). Brussels is very much a business centre and Christmas markets focused more on food and drink but plenty to see and keep us occupied. Took train, 1 hour, to Bruges, 28 € return, again hotel reception very helpful in providing information including train times. Station only 5 minutes walk from hotel. Would recommend Bruges well worth a visit! Would not say the hotel is in a 'seedy' area, we are very fussy!, however were surprised at the number of homeless on the streets, then again being a capital city it is unfortunately a sign of the times.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and have no hesitation in recommending Le Plaza.

Room Tip: We had room 310, off main road so peaceful. Queen size beds and the most fabulous pillows!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

First time to Brussels and we picked the hotel well. From arrival the hotel offers old World charm and an air of luxury and sophistication. Room was large ( we had upgraded to a prestige room) and well appointed. Agree the immediate area has its seedier side however cross the street and you are in the shopping heart and further to the squares and history of Brussels . whilst we had researched restaurants the hotel made bookings for us and I believe managed to get us better tables than we would have booking direct, (at windows etc ) . definitely a must stay in Brussels.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a prestige room, huge room and bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonperthjan27
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We booked a last minute trip to this hotel. We hoped that it would be far enough from the city center to have nice and non-touristy restaurants. We should have read the reviews here-- they are true. There isn't much in the area besides some convenience stores and sex shops. There is a shopping center nearby, but not many real restaurants. We went searching for some place to eat and ended up in an area with many streetwalkers. It really did not add to the weekend. The city center is a reasonable 10-15 minute walk and many sights are in easy walking distance.

The hotel itself is nice, but its glory days are in the past. The rugs in the hall were worn through in spots and we saw duct tape on some. The desk staff were friendly and courteous. The parking garage was full so we had to park elsewhere; it might be possible to reserve a spot in advance and there is nothing available on the streets around the hotel. The room was quiet (save for a short period when the neighbor was watching TV) and the bathroom quite large. The bed was very firm-- worked for us but many might find it too hard. The hotel was very stuffy and we had to turn on the air conditioning in December! Breakfast was ample but not particularly special. It was included with our room, but we would have eaten elsewhere if we'd had to pay 29 euros each for it. We might stay here again if we return to Brussels, but Flanders has more brilliant gems than this.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We went for a short break before Christmas to take in the markets (which were fabulous - amaretto gluhwein is a must!) and whilst the hotel could barely be faulted in terms of cleanliness and helpful staff; the prices in the hotel are EXTORTIONATE!!! I guessed that we would be paying 'hotel' prices but did not think £5.50 was acceptable for a tiny cup of coffee...The room was lovely with a very spacious bathroom, well equipped with nice facilities and toiletries, UK TV channels too! not that you go away to watch TV, but the BBC news was good to see. We pre-paid for breakfast to be included but if you had paid the full price of 29 euro, you would be sorely disappointed....stone cold food with an average selection. Service was quick and polite always and the general atmosphere was so pleasant. I have never seen so many poinsettia, The whole place was beautifully decorated and mostly clean apart from some high level dusting required - but that's just picky. Nice toiletries provided gratis. Highly recommend this hotel for its charming benefits and centrality to Brussels central and access to trains to outer areas like Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp. A wee gem!

Room Tip: higher floor may be better as we could hear sirens; once windows were closed, this was muted so not...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bussigny-pres-Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Although I've been there for business, this hotel could also be well adapted for couples searching for a romantic atmosphere from the past. Large room and large bathroom. Decoration from the last century. Very quiet (double separation door, no noise from the corridor) and good beds.
Good address.