“Enjoyable Stay, Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Le Plaza
Ranked #38 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Enjoyable Stay, Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked this hotel for my wife and I because of the highly-rated reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel itself was nice and we really enjoyed our stay.

When you walk into the lobby you're greeted with a grand area which we thought was really nice. The staff are really helpful as well, and being English-speakers they were very accommodating (get it?). They told us how to get to the nearby sights and gave us really detailed instructions.

The rooms themselves were great, we had a decent sized double room and a large bathroom suite. There was a flat-screen TV as well which was nice and they even had English/British TV so I managed to catch Match of the Day (result!).

In terms of location, the hotel was perfect and only minutes away from the Grand Place, Manneken Pis, The Christmas Markets, the train stations and most of the other main attractions in Brussels.

Overall, a very HappyLAD.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barneystinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our stay at The Le Plaza Hotel in Brussels was ok. The size of the room was ok, the room decor was ok and the service was ok... but really not much more than ok - or average. We expected a lot more from this 4-Star hotel and maybe at one time it was - but not during our time there. I can't say there was anything that really stood out, or anything that was notable. The lobby and staircase are quite impressive and there’s a doorman and security card for elevator. We ordered room service and our meal was ok. I wish I had better things to say and normally do when I review, but for the money we’ll stay somewhere else next time. Expected better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Checkin went well, the front desk ladies were always very helpful and friendly. We stayed 4 nights in a deluxe room. Expected it to be a little nicer in that it was pretty dark and there were some bad paint chips/puckering in a few places. The location wasn't bad, except you have to walk several blocks to go to restaurants and bakeries. The hotel breakfast was too high at 29E or 20E if you order when you arrive. Was not impressed with management.....sent an email to both the manager and assistant manager and didn't hear from either. I had prepaid for the room, and it was acknowledged when we checked in. But when I checked out, they asked me to pay the full amount. I mentioned to the lady at the desk we had already paid, but she went to her manager down the counter who harrumphed, took quite a while to decide and then she came back to me saying I didn't have to pay again. He did not acknowledge me at all. We were very impressed with Michael who ended up driving us the few blocks to the North Train Station (to get to the airport). No taxi would take us (too small fare), so he drove us.....very nice! That was quite unusual for the service industry in Brussels in general......they don't seem very customer focused in stores or restaurants compared to other European cities and North America.

Stayed January 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Beautiful hotel with old world charm, spacious bedroom and fabulous bathroom (no noise from the traffic except New Year's eve fireworks ). Very warm and comfortable. We had breakfast every morning and lovely pancakes. Staff were very helpful. great location for the christmas market at St Catherine where there are great restaurants. Handy for shopping and en route to Grand Place. Took the bus tours around the city and the stop was just down the road. No kettle/tea/coffee in the room was the only complaint.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked this hotel for three nights through lastmin.com for the Christmas break - we wanted to get away this year. As luck would have it, two days before we were due to go (we were a party of 5), 2 of us got flu and 2 of us had to have a tooth out! So we were pretty ill.
We were due to arrive at the hotel on Monday night. I called lastmin.com on the Sunday to try and cancel the booking and they said I should speak to the hotel. I called the hotel who said I needed to speak to last min. After lots of going forwards and backwards, i called the hotel and asked them if we could just move the dates to another time so i didnt lose my money. I needed an answer on the Sunday night otherwise I was going to have to travel there on Monday morning.

Anyways heard nothing until Monday. Lastmin were USELESS and I will never book through them again. The hotel allowed us to push our stay forward one day at no cost - perfect - so we left on the Tuesday morning.

Arrived there Tuesday evening - hotel was easy to find and we were lucky to have parking outside. Check in guys were OK. They offered us the chance to buy a breakfast coupon at 20 euros per person. I said to the guy I would have a think about it and let them know. Then two mornings later, I went to the reception and asked the lady if I could buy a token for breakfast at 20 EUROS and she said i couldnt as I didnt do it the instant the man offered it to me so I would have to pay 29 EUROS. Complete con given I had told the guy I would let him know and he said that was fine!

I also thought the bell boy / concierge was rude and unhelpful. I asked the hotel to order a cab for us for FIVE people. Went outside and there was one cab for four. I said to the bell boy we needed one for FIVE and instead of doing something helpful about it, he just mumbled that they didnt have 5 seater cabs in Brussels. Anyway we split up and I went in the first cab. I asked him to make sure the driver had the correct address for the second cab which my parents would go in. Did he give them the right details? Have a guess...NO!

Rooms are OK - lights are a bit dim and I wouldn't say this is a luxury hotel - instead, I would say it is FFP (Fit for purpose).

We were getting really ill again and so decided not to stay on the last night. Asked reception if we could do anything about losing that last night that we had paid for. They didnt want to help at all. Kept saying ask lastmin.com. I know for a fact that they could have looked into it themselves. Its fine though - you remember these things.

On check out, I asked for the bill. It took four attempts by the lady to get me the correct bill. First one didnt have the correct charges. Then she wanted to charge me city tax for a night I wasnt even staying there. Then a new bill arrives with double breakfast charges. Then it wasnt easy to pay part cash and part card. It was all a bit of a faff.

I do not feel like i got the service I would have expected from a 4 star hotel here if I am honest. I would stay here if i needed somewhere for the night but I think in future, I will stick to Sheraton.Hilton as I have tried them and know they are OK.

Room was also very hot - no air con!

Pretty good location though - easy to walk into main town area

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Majorplayer123
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

First visit to Brussels and very pleased we chose Le Plaza. Stunning hotel, immaculate in every way, very luxurious and 'old style' sophistication and very pleasant helpful staff on reception. Given upgrade of rooms on arrival, lovely large room and spacious bathroom. Very peaceful location so great nights sleep the whole time. Didn't breakfast at hotel as very pricey, plenty of small cafes in shopping area at decent prices (or last resort an immaculate McDonalds opposite!). Brussels is very much a business centre and Christmas markets focused more on food and drink but plenty to see and keep us occupied. Took train, 1 hour, to Bruges, 28 € return, again hotel reception very helpful in providing information including train times. Station only 5 minutes walk from hotel. Would recommend Bruges well worth a visit! Would not say the hotel is in a 'seedy' area, we are very fussy!, however were surprised at the number of homeless on the streets, then again being a capital city it is unfortunately a sign of the times.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and have no hesitation in recommending Le Plaza.

Room Tip: We had room 310, off main road so peaceful. Queen size beds and the most fabulous pillows!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

First time to Brussels and we picked the hotel well. From arrival the hotel offers old World charm and an air of luxury and sophistication. Room was large ( we had upgraded to a prestige room) and well appointed. Agree the immediate area has its seedier side however cross the street and you are in the shopping heart and further to the squares and history of Brussels . whilst we had researched restaurants the hotel made bookings for us and I believe managed to get us better tables than we would have booking direct, (at windows etc ) . definitely a must stay in Brussels.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a prestige room, huge room and bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple