We visited last mid-July for a couple of nights and booked this hotel based on price and location having never been to Brussels. The location could not be better: a great compromise between the train station and the Grand Place. If you have a four-wheeled suitcase you could probably ride it down the slight hill from the station to the front door if it weren't for the wicked cobblestones.
The little plaza directly out the front door has a day and night buzz all its own when you don't feel like walking three minutes to the Grand Place, with waffle shops, cafes, bars and people watching. The Hop On/Off tour bus is just around the corner, as is the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert with its chocolate boutiques, hat shop and more.
My rating for the hotel comes from the room itself where the desk was quite worn with missing veneer and no attempt to make better; very apparent scuffs and stains on the walls; and no real closet or place to unpack clothing. Talk about living out of a suitcase, this is your place. Also, despite having put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign before leaving the for day our room had been 'visited' and remade.
The breakfast buffet, behind the smallish lobby and decent sized lounge, was decent though a bit on the expensive side. To get a hearty meal before hopping on the Eurostar back to London, knowing our only option for several hours would be the cafe car on the train it, fit the bill. For other meals we simply went out the front door to the plaza or walked a couple of blocks to Rue des Bouchers, aka restaurant row.
If we were to return to Brussels I would keep this place in mind but also compare to the much higher rated Hotel Ibis next door or splurge on the Meridian which behind and literally a frisbee throw from the front of the train station but still a short walk to Grand Place.
Final note: the hotel staff is mostly bilingual—French and Flemish. It helps to know a little of one or the other… or to be very patient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Brussels Off Grand Place is located right in the centre of Brussels, moments away from what is said to be the most beautiful town square in the world. Within easy reach of Central Station, this 138 room hotel combines comfort and innovation.The lobby and the Foodsquare bar brasserie share a warm and bright open space, a celebration of chic design. This 4 star hotel welcomes you in this historic area of Brussels for a weekend or short break with your partner or family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Novotel Brussels Grand Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Brussels Grand Place Hotel Brussels
- Accor Brussels Grand Place
- Brussels Novotel