“Quite an comfortable hotel but lack of something”

New Hotel Charlemagne
Ranked #124 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is located in the european quarter, clean and comfortable. But, for geing a 4 stars, many things shall be changed: no room service available the day i was there ( only the reception girl to make everything), intenet is working terribely bad, slow and weak signal. So an average hotel, nothing else

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CarlosGarraf
Hans_Rientjes, Director at New Hotel Charlemagne, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Carlos,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Newhotel Charlemagne with us. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The personnel was very helpful and polite. Location is excellent and room very quiet. Pity some details showed inattention by room service staff (a face mirror was broken in the bathroom, a window pane was cracked). Room fittings are a bit down at heel for a four star (carpeting, furniture). Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Newhotel Charlemagne with us. We take note of your remarks and are happy that you appreciate our breakfast.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just had a weekend break with family here for 2 nights. The rooms were reasonable, we had two club rooms with terrace, one room had a big terrace with a nice view but a small bathroom, the other had a messy small terrace with a big bathroom, so the rooms were evened out. The standard of hotel was ok, the mini bar quite expensive for the quality of hotel and no free tea or coffee, which was a bit mean. The breakfast was ok, not too expensive, but not very varied in terms of pastries (only croissants on one of the days). The hotel was clean and the staff affable, but never actually saw anyone behind the bar of the hotel. Bit of trek to the square but we found the metro system (Schuman is the stop) to be fairly user friendly and we ended up going into the square for dinner each night. Probably wouldn't stay here again, but would recommend it for anyone working at the European Union building (next door).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lindsey W

Dear Lindsey,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us! Your review is important for us in order to improve our product quality.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

For the second time, this hotel has claimed to 'make a mistake' with my reservation. As I generally arrive late at night, and ensure an early reservation for a good price, and it is unlikely to be a coincidence - furthermore because the people checking in before me were given a room with a number that I noticed behind my name on the reservation sheet - I have no doubt that this is not a mistake, but a policy to get a better return on the room rate. As I do not much like to be sent to a different hotel not of my own choice, let alone late at night as a woman travelling alone, I will not frequent this hotel again, despite the general quality of the hotel and situation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anonymy

Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this comment regarding your recent stay with us. For the inconvenience you mentioned, we are deeply sorry that this occured and are looking into how we can prevent this from ever occuring again. It is obviously a lack of professionnalism from us. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. If we could contact me personnally, please reach out to me directly managerbrussels@new-hotel.be so I can assure myself that this cannot happened again!

Sincerely

Reviewed 12 June 2014

First I have to say that I booked and PREPAY for my room, upon my arrival I was charge an allege City TAX of 7.50 Euros, which was a first in any hotel booked in Brussels, and I did manage to visit 5 different hotel in Brussels since January 2014.

I asked for a wakeup call at 6AM, I was called at 5:30AM, this is completely unacceptable. I tried to go outside to smoke a cigarette at 11PM and at 6AM, both time the front door was locked and NOBODY was at the reception desk, I finally was able to find the front desk operator who was doing some cleaning far from the front desk.

The walls of the rooms were so thin that I was able to hear everything happening in my neighbour room. It was also impossible to leave the window open to sleep because the room was on the back of the hotel and there were 2 bars just behind the hotel, it was so noisy that I had to sleep in a hot room as there was no Air Conditionning.

If I have a recommandation to make... DO NOT GO to this hotel under any circumstances.unless you are sado-masochist and want to visit the worst brothel of Brussels because the way I felt is the same as if I would have been staying in a brothel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel unless you want to ruin your stay in Brussels
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Yves,
Thanks very much for taking the time to write these comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is of course never nice to learn that we failed to provide a flawless experience to you. Naturally, your review caused me to investigate the occured in full.

We acknowledge that the night auditor made a mistake by waking you up half an hour earlier. Please accept our sincere apologies for this human error.

We do however choose to disagree with you for the city tax. In all 4 star hotels in Brussels, there is a city tax that every tourist should pay and this information is indicated on all the confirmation forms. Regarding the physically non presence at the Front Desk at 11 PM and 06 AM, please note that this can happen due to the multi task function of the Night-Auditor. We regret that he wasn't there when you applied for him. Please also note that the doors were locked for a security reasons. We regret strongly that you did not appreciate the provided services. We try to make our guests having a comfortable stay.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel was very well priced although the breakfast was extra and this soon brought the price up. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The area is quiet and about a half hour walk from the city centre (although there was a metro stop close by). There were several small restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear valued guest,
We want to thank you so much for writing a nice review on the Newhotel Charlemagne Brussels. We are proud that you enjoyed your experience so much. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards from Brussels.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you're on a budget and just want a clean place to sleep, this hotel is fine.

If you want more, I wouldn't recommend it: my room didn't have a kettle, an iron, air conditioning, or for that matter a chain attached to the bath plug!

If I wanted the room to cool down, I had to open my window, which looked out over somewhat noisy street. I was woken at 5.45 by the rubbish collectors one morning, and the room was still too hot despite having the window slightly open. Meanwhile, to drain the bath I had to use a knitting needle to extract the plug!

The bathroom had some other minor issues. The shower curtain, when pulled across to shield the sink area from water, obscured the controls for the shower. The bath drained very slowly -- even after a very quick shower, I found myself standing in cool water that had not yet drained.

The wifi was generally ok but a bit dodgy -- it would shut off mid-way through skype calls, which wasn't terribly helpful.

All of the above said, the staff were friendly and breakfast was basic but fine. Like I say -- if you're on a budget and value the location, go for it. If you want a bit of a higher standard, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Clare H

Dear valued guest,
We are very sad that you did not appreciate our property. Our property counts 68 rooms and 38 of them have air condition. You can find this information in the features of the room. Please allow me to apologize for the fact that you deal with a few technical issues in the room you've stayed in - we take this very seriously and due to your comment we have been organising a training for the room maids! Meanwhile, thank you very much for your feedback and we really hope to welcome you again soon.

Sincerely