“The Metropole Brussels”

Ranked #66 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The Metropole Brussels”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We spent four nights at this charming hotel which has to be seen to believed, the architectural style depicts an air of luxury and richness of materials: panelling, polished teak, marble of Numibia, gilded bronze and forged iron, all competed to give the impression of comfort in the 1900 era. The room was large and comfortable with a complimentary mini-bar. There was plenty of wardrobe space, sometimes lacking in many hotels and of course a TV showing programmes from all over Europe and the Middle East. The only thing the room did not have was tea and coffee making facilities.
The breakfasts at the hotel were were buffet style with plenty of variety including the famed Belgian Waffles.
Dining at the hotel for us was limited, however, we would advise anyone staying there to go out and try the many of the good restaurants which can be found close by and which are cheaper.
The hotel is situated a short walk (less than ten minutes) from the Grand Place so it is very central. It is easy to walk to most places of interest around the centre and also easy to find the City Tours bus. We would have no hesitation about staying there again

Room Tip: The front rooms can be a little noisy as the police and ambulance service do not care when they soun...
1 Thank Brian I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Carmel, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is located close to Grand palace ,and train station. The staff is very knowledgeable ,courteous ,and accommodating. The front desk helped us with dinners,taxis, airport etc. the room was immaculate ,spacious, modern with g balcony. Room service lighting fast . Really a great hotel and well priced. Check this out before any other Brussels hotel .

Room Tip: Rooms facing city have balcony
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My review is influenced by my past visits so please realise I have a great affection for this lovely old hotel
This was my 4th visit. Every time I come to this city I always sta here.
I just find the staff are welcoming, which one expects this day and age.
I just love the history of the place, the service, the food and the "deals" you can get on line.
The rooms speak of the grand old days of opulence but the beds are comfortable, always a must for a weary traveller.
This time my room had no view and did notice the wall paper was coming off...... But it was clean and a welcome place to return to on a hot day.
I got what I paid for which was about $114 before taxes. So no complaints, though I did tell reception I would make sure I paid more for a better room next time.
The location is excellent, near the heart of the old town and near the Metro which is 4 stations away from the international train station.
I enjoy the atmosphere of the grand old hotel.
Highly recommend paying for a superior room

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank johnsteele507
London, England
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I decided to take my kids to Brussels for a weekend chocolate break. I booked the hotel last minute and secured a good deal for a family room. I was worried we'd get a tiny room for all of us, but the room and its bathroom were huge, comfortable, and extremely clean. There was even a free - if limited - mini bar in the room. We found that the location on the edge of old town was excellent for our sightseeing and numerous trips in and out of the hotel. The cafe is wonderful.

We only stayed one night but had a great rest at the hotel. The reception and concierge staff were very friendly and helpful. I must mention the young man who was in charge of the concierge desk at about 5 pm on Sunday 8 June 2014. We had already checked out 7 hours before, but he still treated us like very valued guests, anticipated our needs really well, and made sure that we could still benefit as long as we needed from the hotel facilities until our taxi (which he ordered) arrived.

This is a very charming hotel in a city which needs to rekindle and re-discover some of its old charm.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Metropole hotel for 3 nights this month, and I enjoyed my stay very much.

I picked this hotel based on location, other's review and nightly rate. I am a female traveling alone this time, so safety and location is on top of my list. This hotel is within walking distance to Grand Place and Brussels Center Train station, and I have no issue walking in the surrounding areas either in the early morning or night before dark. The stuff are very friendly and helpful. I believe I was given an upgraded room, as my room is not only nicely remodeled and clean, but huge! It has 3 closet and a big balcony, and the bathroom has two sinks, one show and one bath.

I liked the breakfast served daily; a lots of choices, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bakery, and hot dishes. Daily complimentory drinks (beer, water and coke) are nice to have; and Wifi in my room works well.

To summarize, good location, helpful stuff, clean & nice room, free breakfast & drinks, free in-room wi-fi, and last but not least, great price!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank picturejoy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Agree with other reviewers that while hotel lobby is a historically valuable 5 star the rooms are easily 2-3 star : shower needed to be hand-held as it would not stay in leveled position, no conditioner( by design!), no drawers, torn wall paper of deep red color that can drive you mad, A/C worked but took a while to cool the room. We were in the back room so you were overlooking a dirty roof in the middle of the building but it also meant no street noise and each room had double-doors which further helped with sound insulation. It is fare to note that the staff was super helpful, definitely 5-star trained. Another positive is that if you are arriving with a car they can park it on the street in front of hotel for you on most days so you don't have to add another 25 euros in garage fees to your rate. The breakfast was included in our rate and was absolutely superb. We are quite spoiled in terms of good food but their scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, selection of breads and fresh berries was one of the best we ever had.

My overall advise would be - come only if you really want a slice of that old world charm and definitely ask for another room if you are not happy( we did not think of that and were there for too short of a stay to bother ). Otherwise just come enjoy the lobby bar to see the beauty but stay in a hotel with modern facilities and plumbing.

Room Tip: If you'd like little noise ask for a room in the back, if you'd like the view ask for room i...
1 Thank Olga S
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Overall: Luxury hotel with a great breakfast, great price and central location.

The Metropole is situated right across the street from a metro station (De Brouckere), a couple blocks north of a grocery store (Anspach) and a very short walk to the Grand Place. Being central there are countless places to eat and drink within a very short distance of the hotel. The location is excellent.

You cannot help but be amazed at the grandeur of the hotel when walking in to the lobby. The hotel lobby is grand, and their staff provide service that you would expect out of from a hotel with this appearance. The bell staff and front desk staff are courteous, polite and very accommodating. No problems at all with check-in.

The standard rooms are very nice and extremely reasonably priced. While they are somewhat dated, they are not dirty or run down. The internet speed is excellent and the minibar is free (2 waters, 2 beers, 2 cokes). The AC worked fine and the bed was comfortable. We had no issues with noise from other rooms or outside.

One of the highlights was breakfast. While not the largest breakfast buffet, there is a wide selection of hot (eggs, bacon, etc) and cold items. There is also fresh baking at breakfast. The service is excellent, the wait staff is very attentive and always at your disposal. The food is delicious; often you find the buffet food to be warm and a feeling that it was mass produced with corners cut. This is not the case with the Metropole’s breakfast buffet as all the food tastes good as if it was made with care and attention by professional staff. One note however, when we were at breakfast many of the guessed were dressed upscale (suits, military uniforms, etc) so you may feel out of place if you are not appropriately dressed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple