“Walk into another era”

Ranked #69 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Walk into another era”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

As you enter the hotel you are blown away by the fantastic foyer, reception and restaurant.The old lift and all the surrounds make you feel like a king. Our stay was brilliant. Staff were terrific, room magic ( ever had a chandelier) and the bed unreal. It really was as spelt out in the reviews we read on TripAdvisor before booking. Definitely recommend it.
Oh and I forgot its location. Very close to everything.

Room Tip: All would be great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm late on my review. I stayed here in March of this year and it was quiet over all at this time of year. The room was spacious and mine was overlooking the main road with NO noise that kept me awake.
Yes yes i'm going to chat bathroom and toiletries again... bathroom was large and clean with very nice spa like toiletries so if you are a biz travelling like me its great not to pack all those pesky bottles or a weekend traveller will do fine.
I had a large odd chandelier in the centre on the room and on the evening when the upstairs guest walked across the floor it rattled and kept me awake. very annoying but I can't comment if all rooms are this way. (it wasn't loose by the way and i'm thankful upstairs were not too frisky or I'd likely have a glass injury)
Breakfast was fine with a good selection, plenty of space between tables and good coffee, tea and fruit juices.
Location was brilliant for transport, shopping and sight seeing too with the tube entrance/exit right by the hotel.
The foyer and bar was just beautiful and when I was there, a UK film crew was shooting a movie, not surprised, gorgeous hotel.
Staff lovely, great price and generally good quality rooms and sleep (if you don't have a massive odd coloured glass chandelier)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kelly C
Gariep Dam, South Africa
Reviewed 5 July 2014

From the moment you step into the reception you know you are in for a treat..great hotel in fantastic location and great value...the hotel takes you back into a begone era.a feel of opulence is present .the cafe/bar both indoors and out is very good and popular

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl C
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The old lift on the left as you enter often gets stuck and stops, therefore it is not operating all the time. But when it does it is an unforgettable experience. Just be careful with your fingers - if you intend to keep them all - when the metal door closes. Even if you stay in the other hotel wing, go and take a ride with the lift (it's free as well!) You can actually do this even if you don't stay in the hotel.. :-)

Breakfast is served in a big ballroom in the basement and it worths the high price - at least once. Reception is large and efficient but sometimes it looses steam and slows down.

The piano area is of absolute beauty and is going to give you magic moments of happiness if you take your girlfriend and your drinks and sit next to the pianist when he plays..

Don't forget to check the photo on the right as you enter, where Einstein, madam Currie and many other great physicists are shown in a conference that took place in the hotel. A similar photo with less well known chemists hangs opposite the right wing lifts.

The rooms are not as you expect after seeing the lobby, they are old and worn out, by they still have something from the past glory.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank zuiveld
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently had a one-night stay at the Metropole Hotel and really enjoyed it. The check in was quick, and we were shown to a large end-unit room (I had requested a king-size bed). The room was nicely furnished (yes, there were some nicks and scratches here and there), and the bed delivered as promised. The bath was large and modern, and the complimentary mini-bar was a nice touch.

After checking in, we went out to explore Brussels, (after a quick lunch at their cafe out front), and then realized how great the Metropole's location was. We followed the signs to the Grand Place, and just loved all the shops and restaurants!

I must give extra kudos to the concierge, who worked very hard to figure out why my SAS airline reservation for the next day was not showing in their system (duhhhh, a 1 and l can look identical).
The buffet breakfast was QUITE nice, and we were sad to check out so quickly. We would definitely stay in this stately, lovely, charming hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C_J_89135
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Had booked a room at Metropole because of its history and reputation. Suffice to say it didn't live up to my expectations.
I had booked a privilege room and really needed a good nights sleep.
When I arrived at the hotel the receptionist was kind but made a call to somebody else about a problem with my room. As I don't speak a lot of French I didn't catch what the problem was. I was escorted to my room and shown a room that looked pretty nice.

The minibar was free of charge and as I had just come from the airport I really needed something to drink. First problem: instead of what I now have read should be 6 drinks there were two beers and not even good Belgian beer but boring pilsners. No bottle of water or a soda.
I checked out the rest of the room. Bathroom was nice albeit no toilet paper holder which was odd.
There was a writing desk with a chair but when I used it I realised that it was on the brink of falling apart. Not very handy.
Room had a balcony which was a nice surprise. Only problem was that there weren't any furniture on it, making it rather difficult to use.

I went out and enjoyed lovely Brussels and returned to get the so needed sleep. The bed was nice and large but then I realised it was two single beds pushed together because there was a height difference of several centimetres. Anyway as I was only one person it didn't matter much. Next problem was that around half past ten in the evening some sort of noise started right next to my room. I have no idea what it was but it was very loud and sounded like a mix between an elevator and a vacuum cleaner. I really regretted not having any earplugs with because sleep was hard to come by that night.

In the morning I thought that breakfast would make it all better but instead it was a rather boring affair. Coffee not very good, bread and egg decent. It the cheese was completely dry and bland.

Even though the lobby is spectacular I would not recommend any one staying here and I will definitely not come back. Better hotels around Bruxelles for a much lower cost and you can actually get som decent sleep in them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I am a regular traveller and I normally stay in good well known hotel chains but Brussels, as many European destinations, is a quite expensive, so I decided to try the Metropole Hotel because it had good reviews.
To start with the hotel is near the main station (midi) if you arrive by train, I took the tram, and after 3 stops i was outside the hotel, the hotel is literally outside the station, and close to everything, I literally walked everywhere, the location is excellent. The hotel is very old but classy, it looks like an old russian church, very stylish but somehow a bit updated but in a positive way, the only downside is the old style lift that is so slow, but it is not a big issue. The room I had, had a nice view and the room was big, very clean and comfortable, the TV was difficult to make it work but after a few attempts I gave up and did not want to watch anything. The coffee shop outside is very nice, it belongs to the restaurant, the guy who checked me in was very polite, it made me smile after a long journey. At check out I wasn't feeling a little bit sick , I asked reception I could extend my check out time for an hour, the lady on the phone was so abrupt (a little bit rude) saying that the hotel was fully booked and that i should leave by 12. I asked politely for the manager and after keeping me for more than 20 minutes waiting on the phone, they decided to let me stay until 1pm, the lady finally was a bit more polite wishing me i get better. Will I stay here again? definitely yes!, it's so worth the price they charge for the whole package, I had a great stay here, recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business