“Poor service hot rooms pricey”
Review of Warwick Brussels

Warwick Brussels
Ranked #50 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Poor service hot rooms pricey”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had a Business premium room which was small, dark, poorly lit and like most areas of the hotel, very hot. Service was poor, rooms not made up by 3:30 pm, toiletries not replaced unless specifically requested, dust on furniture, cups not washed and biscuits not replaced. As with most European hotels (not UK) pillows were soft and bed not comfortable. The room was very noisy and there was a lot of shouting going on outside until the very early hours of the morning. Walls are also paper thin.

Breakfast extensive and of good quality, but at €30 very poor value for money, considering the standard rate for the room was over €600.
Early breakfast recommended as on on Sunday at 10 am the breakfast room was too full to accommodate everyone and guests were redirected to a spill over restaurant downstairs. This meant having to go up and down two flights of stairs each time one wanted anything. Very poor indeed.
The Waterloo bar was busy on Friday, but not excessively so. Yet the waiter took 15 min to bring a beer and the bar had to be shut at 11 pm because it had run out of clean beer glasses and the manager refused to refill glasses. Quite remarkable, really, for what claims to be a upmarket hotel.
On the plus side, it is very convenient for Central Brussels, but I would not want to stay here if I had to do any work in my room. A small disk with two plugs, one required for the lamp, leaving the other for a laptop with no additional spare plugs.
The staff are friendly but clearly there are too few of them. Definitely will not stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen B
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Stephen B,

We have read your comment with a great attention and we naturally are disappointed that overall we failed short of your expectations and we thank you for advising the level of service from our staff did meet your expectations. Rest assured that your comment on breakfast and bar have been taken into consideration and has already been forwarded to the department head concerned for a corrective action.

I would be keen to discuss your experience further and would invite you to contact me personally at jvitu@warwickhotels.com

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at the hotel to provide you with the level of service for which the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place is renowned.
Sincerely Yours,

Regional General Manager - Brussels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great central location a stone's throw from Grand Place. Hotel itself was OK. Teh bed was very comfortable and the room clean and pleasant. BBC1 AND BBC2 on the TV was a bonus. But the room heating didn't appear to turn off (or stay off). Along with other posters we also had to leave the window open, which meant we were disturbed by the partying in the nearby streets.

The breakfast at 30 euros is very pricey and not worth it. On top of this the dining room seems too small for the size of the hotel and on Saturday morning there were queues to get in and once in the buffet was something of a scrum.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Churros_lover,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our central location and your room.

Obviously, I am sorry to learn you have face some uncomfortable situation during your stay. Especially regarding the heating and ventilation system and time to wait at Breakfast. I am really sorry you have faced those issue and regret the inconvenient occurred. Rest assured the departments head concerned have been informed accordingly.

I will be pleased to welcome you back again at The Royal Windsor Hotel Grand place to make your stay more unforgettable than ever.

Bedfordshire, Uk
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have just returned from 3 days at the Christmas market in Brussels. We chose the Royal Windsor for it's location which was spot on. We checked in & were allocated 2 rooms on the 1st floor both looking out onto a flat roof. Ours had the extractor chimney outside the window & our friends a humming air conditioning unit. Both were very dark with no natural light. We went straight back to reception & asked for the rooms to be changed. They were for 2 on the 3rd floor. Mine however had no tea & coffee making facilities in (be careful as this is not included if you book anything less than a premier room. You will be charged 25 euro per day otherwise) so I rang down to reception to advise them, I then reminded them when we went out for a walk rang down again when we returned & then again when we went out for dinner. When we came back & they still weren't there I had to go back to reception & demand to speak to the duty manager. Why did it take 5 requests for this to be resolved in a supposedly 5 star hotel? Not the sort of service I expected after being allocated sub standard rooms. It wasn't a good start.

The Good
Location
Beautiful building
breakfast (included in our package or 30 euro pp - not worth that)
Chutneys bar in the evening
friendly staff

The bad
sooooo hot!- you will have to sleep with the windows open. We left ours open during the day so it was cold at night.
street noise - windows open & directly opposite a nightclub. No sleep the 1st night. Closed the next night but then you boil because of the heat.
Police station around the corner means siren noise
bad piano playing in the bar - Les Dawson style entertainment though probably not intentionally

The awful - & why we won't go back if we go back to Brussels
Coming back from a days shopping we couldn't find the TV remote. Searched high & low but nowhere to be found. I went to the case to get some paracetamol & the remote control was in there along with my PJ's & my phone charger. All had been on the bed when we left. Why had the chamber maid been into a closed case while we were out? It left a bad taste in my mouth even though nothing was missing. Add this to the kettle incident & not a place I fee comfortable being again sadly.

Room Tip: High floor not facing the road
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Minniesmum23
Dear Minniesmum23,

I appreciate you took time to give your feeling about our property and I am really sorry you do not get a very good memory of your stay with us, especially regarding the heating in your room.
This situation is most unusual, and rest assured the maintenance department head concerned has been informed. Also, I am sorry if you received a wrong information regarding the tea and coffee facilities as they are available for 8 euros per day.

Also, regarding your last comment with the tv remote place on the case, please rest assured that your comment was taken very seriously, and has already been forwarded to the Housekeeping department.

I would be keen to discuss your experience further and would invite you to contact me personally at the hotel. Jvitu@warwickhotels.com

I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your next visit in Brussels.
Should you decide to come back to Brussels, please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order to oversee personally your stay. jvitu@warwickhotels.com

Sincerely yours,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here two nights for business last week. First, the positives, free wifi on multiple devices, nice lobby, well appointed rooms. The negatives, i had to run the shower for 20 minutes to get lukewarm water. The overhead shower was so forceful it was like being sprayed with a fire hose, so i used the hand nozzle despite it not having a hook (which caused the water dials to turn on and off everytime i picked up the hand nozzle as the hose would hit the dials). I had even called the front desk after the first five minutes of running the water and they said to just keep doing that, hot water would come eventually. Wake up 20 minutes earlier so you can get a shower, right. Both nights, i had to sleep with the window open (in November!) because the heat wouldnt shut off in the room. As a result, the second day, i got to hear all the garbage trucks coming at 6am! I also attended meetings in their conference rooms. We were in the big one across the alley way. Because of how it is situated, we were freezing the entire time, the bathrooms were at a constant temperature of about 10 C. The room was dreary and not well lit. The ceilings were low which made it feel even more enclosed. This wouldnt be my top choice for returning to brussels.

Location cant really be beat though!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NDMorrison06
Dear NDMorrison06,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience with us.
We are glad you enjoyed our very unique and beautiful lobby.

I have taken good note of your comments for improvement in regards to services which were provided, especially in your room and I do apologize for those unusual problem happen. Rest assured I have reported your experience to the department head concerned for corrective actions.

Please once again accept my deeply apologies and hope to have the chance of welcome you back at Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

With my best regards,

London
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

They have certainly lifted their game since we were last here. Very friendly staff, super comfortable rooms and, now, decent wifi. It is exceptional value and perfectly located. Bit noisy outside during the night but that was not their fault.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear zeezee48,

Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to write a review relating to your recent stay at Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

We are happy to see you have spent a very pleasant stay with us. Your encouraging comments regarding the services and hotel facilities are a great motivation and give us even more enthusiasm on maintaining our efforts to offer high quality service to our guest. Rest assured I will be delighted to share your kind comments with my entire team.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place and please let me take this opportunity to thank you again for your positive remarks.

Brisbane Queensland
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked this on line some months ago and stayed for 5 nights. I cannot comment on the restaurant or the bars as the costs were very steep which put us off so we ate elsewhere - we ended up eating at one of the local cafes (there are plenty - streets are full of restaurants/bars/cafes etc for all budgets).

Location is near Grand Place and is literally a couple of minutes walk to the train station (Central) from where you catch a train to Zuid (the next stop) - this is where the Eurostar leaves from , so the hotel's location is very handy. Most of the staff were great and did have a good command of English, although they spoke French most of the time and on occasions it was hard to get your message across.

Beware though - if you are booking on line, pre-pay for the hotel prior to arrival - we had an issue where we were given a quote which we accepted, with the arrangement to pay direct to the hotel. However they changed the rate and charged us a lot more - we had no choice but to pay, even though we had the written quote the cashier was not interested.. After we left we communicated with the hotel a number of times, and eventually they admitted it was their mistake and refunded us most of the overcharge. Lesson learnt - book and pre-pay next time to avoid all the drama.

The room itself was very good - tastefully decorated and everything you could need and spotlessly clean. We didn't touch anything from the mini bar - again very pricey. The location of the room was in a quiet area, so we didn't have any issues with outside noise at all. The housekeeping staff also left us chocolates on our pillow of an evening which was a nice touch. Wifi was also very good - didn't have any problems with this at all. On the down-side, the bed was very uncomfortable and we never had good sleeps there. The lobby area has a lot of comfortable seats and is very welcoming.

Would I stay there again - I doubt it - mainly because of the bed, and also the drama with the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel-shopper
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Travel-shopper,

We thank you very much for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed our central location and especially your room and the friendliness of our staff. Obviously, we do regret the misunderstanding regarding your booking.

Please rest assured your comments were taken very seriously and have been reviewed with the department heads concern for a corrective action.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Brussels at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel in November for my birthday. My partner booked a suite and it was very nice and very clean. The location is perfect and central perfect for a week end break. Staff was nice and friendly. I would def recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank silviag752
Dear silviag752,

Thank you to have chosen the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place for this very special occasion and for the kind comments you have shared.

Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is very much appreciated. Please be assured I have shared your positive comments with all the staff of the hotel.

I truly hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel for your next visit in Brussels.

Regional General Manager – Brussels