“Not awful but would look elsewhere next time”

NH Brussels Grand Place Arenberg
Ranked #64 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Great location really close to train station (central) reception staff nice and helpful. WiFi is AWFUL. If you are planning to work here don't rely on the internet. You need to sign on every 3mins and signal drops all the time. We stayed in a room facing an ally way and it was really really noisy outside. We were in room 216..try request a room away from the parking ally way. Another complaint is the maid / cleaning service. They are very noisy and keep knocking on the door all the time even when we said we didnt require service

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank kellyliverpool85

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Tip : when you stay at the NH hotel you must visit the "Mort Subit" cafe at the corner.
The service was very good : it was quick and the staff is friendly.
The check out time was also very convenient for us.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
1  Thank FamigliaBelga
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We pride ourselves on finding a hotel for our city breaks that has an excellent location and is not too expensive and this hotel more than fulfilled these criteria. The staff were helpful and the room a reasonable size with a comfortable bed and there was a pretty powerful shower. We had breakfast included in our package and found this to be more than adequate with an excellent selection to satisfy all tastes. The situation is ideal being very close to the Grand Place. There was some noise from the street on Saturday night but that's the price you pay I suppose, for being in a city centre. All in all,we were impressed with this hotel and thought our 3 night package booked through Eurostar,was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandziuk
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during a trip to visit the Christmas Market. The hotel is in an excellent location in relation to the Grand Place and the central station. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff were all very friendly. The only complaint I have is that the WiFi was terrible. It was patchy and I had to keep signing in every 2 seconds. Our room faced an alley way and there was quite a lot of noise early in the mornings which was slightly annoying. I would try to get a room that doesn't face the alley. With the exception of the 2 minor issues, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank megs1178
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and mother in law for 3 nights in December. The hotel itself is clean and modern. The reception staff are friendly but obviously busy and at times dealing with multiple customers at once. The hotel is in a good location for grand place, although up a steep hill (not the hotels fault). The rooms we had were clean but dark. There is no main bedroom light just lamps. The bathroom does have a glass panel attached to the bedroom which sadly is see through. Although I was with family, there were times I wish I had more privacy and vice versa. The tea/coffee facilities were limited In the room and not replaced daily, like the bathroom items. We had breakfast once at the hotel but found the 21 euro breakfast not to be value for money so ate out the following days. The breakfast room was also small and crowded with a poor layout of tables making it extremely cramped. I would stay at this hotel again but would not pay the prices advertised. Instead I would do as we did this year and book through Eurostar which was much cheaper and what I would call value for money

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank MrsT232011
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Hotel was well situated for the xmas market and town center. The hotel has no bar or a decent place to sit for a drink and a chat. Breakfast was very good with a good selectin of food.After breakfast you cannot get food or drink except for the mini bar in your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
1  Thank Malcolm O
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Perfect location from Gare Centrale and the Grand Place areas. The rooms were nice. Ours had a lot of water damage to the laminate floor and wallpaper next to the bathroom that hadn't been repaired - but nice nonetheless. The elevators are quite small, but that's only a problem if you travel very heavy.

My only big issue was with the "free" wi-fi. The amount of data they allow for a 24h period (and I'm not sure how much data was included) was only enough to check your email a couple of times and maybe plot a route on a map app once or twice. After that they charge - I think it was 6.99 euros for unlimited. If you are traveling with a data plan or don't use mobile internet then disregard, but it is a pet peeve of mine that a 4* hotel feels the need to nickel-and-dime it's patrons over things like wifi, gym access, 3 euro water and 21 euro breakfasts, since I think it goes directly to how the hotel sees its customers. NH found a loophole in its advertising of free wifi that I wasn't expecting and feel a little cheated by it.

That said, it's a nice hotel in a nice area for a decent price and my rating is based on that alone. The rant was just for me.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple