“Good option”
Review of Maxhotel

Maxhotel
Ranked #69 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Good hotel in "green modern" style. Service was excellent - guy at reception helped us with our additional requirements. We need to use fridge and to print one page. Very pleasant young man. Also we had no problems with check in, because he also helped us with the machine. Room was clean and nice Only problem we had - is weak wi-fi. Location is great, not far from North and Central Stations, just 10 minutes walk from Grand Place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2014

A clean and spacious room, very modern design, ensuite bathroom and a GREAT location: just 10 minutes from the Grand Place and 2 minutes from Rogier metro station and close enough to Central Station.
Did I tell you that this is a great location? Well, let me say it again. The price you pay for that location makes this a complete bargain. That alone is worth the stay.
Yes, the check-in is bothersome, but the staff is very nice and always there to help (even if you don't see them at first).
Here you pay for what you need: you receive the basics (a pillow, a small soap every day) and pay for extra. Wanna store your luggage after check-out? Pay 2 euros. Extra pillows? Cable TV? Pay extra. You can find all of this things in the vending machines on 2nd floor.
Wi-Fi is free in the lounge on 2nd floor, but it is very slow and requires you to register every 24 hrs via an annoying system. While I understand the lack of free wi-fi in your room (you pay for what you need), the main issue is that even if you are willing to pay 5 euros for that service, signal is weak and not worth the price.

That's why I highly recommend Maxhotel for any budget traveller looking for basic amenities on an EXCELENT location BUT the weak wi-fi may be a problem for business travellers.

TIP: Try to visit Brussels during the weekend, as room rates are much cheaper.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dominique0810
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is central and clean.I understand we are living in an era where all services should be automated to be more cost efficient but it sure has its disadvantages.I had a problem with my luggage not arriving on time at the airport and needed some human interaction @ reception to phone the airline.In the morning there was a pleasant helpful lady, but for the afternoon shift the lady was very rude.At some point I had to call her to please come down to the receptuon area to call the airline upon which she replied that I have to wait 5min for her to come down after I waited 10min already.When me and another lady asked her about how to connect with the wifi, she was so impatient and rude and made us feel like we are idiots for not knowing.Twice my room did not want to open with the card and I went down to reception and again no one was available.
Sorry, I travel alot and am very happy with the very basics. I am an easy customer with lots of patience but human interaction and empathy and sympathy and kindness and patience are still "luxuries" needed in this "cold", fast automated era we live in.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My girlfriend and I booked this place as a very cheap, budget option as we wanted to save money for our main summer holiday we have booked. Therefore after many hours scouring the internet I came across this. The main criteria for us was the location ( as we wanted to avoid paying for taxis while in Brussels. Many of the hotels in a similar location were at least another 80 euros more expensive.

The room: 3/5

The room was large enough for us and was relatively clean. ( A few stains on the curtains ) The bathroom was spotless thought. We requested a double bed and we both agree it was amazing. It was really comfy and large ( my girlfriend likes her sleep and she loved it! )
However the facilities in the room a little sparse. TV required additional payment, no kettle, no iron and no wardrobe and only 4 hangers between us. Overall okay for a decent sleep, quiet, clean but wouldn't do a week in it.

The location: 4/5

Superb - literally 5 / 10 minutes walk from Grand Place / near a metro / near shops etc

Facilities:

No kettle etc as mentioned. No breakfast included. A vending machine served coffee /. tea / snacks / beer all reasonably priced though. 2.5 euros for a can of beer
The WiFi was pretty bad. I bought a 5 euro card for 24 hours access but I could barely use it in my room as it was slow / kept losing connection. Overall pretty poor but if you are on a budget you have to consider the things this hotel lacked would cost at least an extra 40 euros plus in another hotel. Personally we could live without breakfast / Wifi / kettle

Service: 3 / 5

I requested an early check in prior to arrival and was told it was not possible. ( Check in was at 2pm ) We arrived at 11:00 am after being up since 3 am and I asked the Women in reception if we could check in early. At first she said yes, if we paid 35 euros. A little surprised at this I then asked if we could use the lobby area to wait until 2pm which she said was ok. However she then said she would check if the room was ready and phoned someone. Minutes later she said we could check in early. ( She must have felt sorry for us as we looked shattered! ) This was very nice of her to do this, however I pity the person that pays the early check in fee.

I also had a minor issue with the vending machine - I paid for food but it didn't come out of the machine. The next day I told the same women and she had it waiting for us when we returned later that evening.

All in all the service was fine, polite and helpful

Overall: 3 / 5

If like us you are on a budget you can't go wrong with this hotel in my view. Very close to amenities / sites, large room / large bed, quite, clean and very good value for money. A few little gripes about no free WiFi and a lack of facilities but honestly I personally wouldn't pay the extra 40 plus euros similar hotels in similar locations wanted for the addition of Wifi, a wardrobe and a kettle. If you want a bit of luxury and spoiling then I would avoid but all in all it does the job.

Room Tip: Avoid buying the Wifi at 5 euros for 24 hours. Reception is poor in your room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel very functional, without unnecessary
extras. Automated steps: check-in, check-out, luggage. Support staff very friendly.
Room size is fair, peaceful and clean. Perfect location: 5 minutes from the North 's railway
station. 10 minutes from the historic center. Excellent value for money.
Highly recommended.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A cheap and very clean hotel option in Brussels. Location wise it is excellent. The check in process is clunky if booked via third party site as you need the booking reference from them. However there is an attendant to help if need be. The rooms are small however comfortable and has the essentials for a short stay. Note that they only provide soap, if you want shampoo or other amenities you can buy them in the vending machine on Level 1. Shower was excellent. TV didn't work, but wasn't sure if I had to buy that extra, but never asked. Internet is reasonably priced. Use the lockers on level 1 (1 euro) to lock your valuables - no safe in the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeyMikeAus
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Booked Maxhotel when attending Seafood Expo. Stayed 3 nights. It is not conventional type of hotel - there is no reception - only machine for check-in and check-out. Rooms are rather incapacious but very clean (they had cleaned my room every day without additional charge regardless what some reviewers say). I was on 5th floor, room was quiet and the bed was great so I had one of the best sleeping ever (counting hotels). Grand Place is 10min walk and metro station (Rogier) is 2min away.

pro: clean, modern, quiet, good location
con: rather incapacious, only 2 hangers and no space to put your additional clothes, no free internet (not even in the lounge at the 1st floor)

Room Tip: Rooms above 2nd floor are quieter without street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business