“Deceived ! Definitely not a 5* Hotel !!!”

Steigenberger Wiltcher's
Ranked #27 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Geneva, Switzerland
“Deceived ! Definitely not a 5* Hotel !!!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very good location of the Hotel. very nice area close to nice shops and various restaurants and bars.

However, I had a late arrival so I've decided to order room service. The pasta (any of the pasta dishes) was unavailable although on the Menu it said that it can be ordered 24/7. I was told that all I could have was a croque-monsieur with fries and a mozarella and tomato salad. I had both... the croque-monsieur was cold and not really cooked and both plate where not nicely presented. There was no water available for me nor a bottle opener which meant I had no other choice than paying for some flat water from the Minibar.

That same evening I also found some long hairs in my bathtub which I had to remove myself as I wanted to take a bath.

The next evening I asked at Reception if I could have some ice cubes delivered to my room as I like to drink my water ice cold. Despite calling Reception again 1 hour after initially asking for the ice cubes I never ever received them.

The Hotel is beautiful but the staff made me feel very unwelcome. I have been in many beautiful places, but this service wise this is definitely not a 5 Star Hotel. It is definitely not up to the same standards as it was when it was still called the Conrad Hotel Brussels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara H
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations clients at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Barbara H,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Steigenberger Grandhotel Brussels here on Tripadvisor.

We did contact you as well via email regarding your stay with us. I truly feel sorry about these inconveniences that have made your stay less pleasant.

We would love to have another chance to redeem ourselves from the impression you might be under and would therefore be delighted to welcome you back.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone,

All my best,

Guest relations agent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
noida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great place to stay because of its proximity to the main shopping area, lots of restaurants just a few lanes down, tram station right outside hotel and subway pretty close as
well. As soon as you enter the hotel there is lovely fragrance awaiting with smiles on staffs face

• Stayed March 2014
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear ankitkhan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Steigenberger Grandhotel Brussels here on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are already looking forward welcoming you again!

Please do not hesitate to contact us again,

All my best,

Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here years ago when it was a Conrad Hilton Hotel, and I thought it was the most beautiful and best hotel I had ever stayed in. We have stayed in many cities and in many fine hotels, but the Conrad provided a wonderful stay. It appears that the Steigenberger has kept the bar area unchanged and the breakfast room (light, bright, cheerful) virtually unchanged - I am so happy with that because I thought the bar had a very relaxing atmosphere. We arrived back at the hotel after a difficult day driving, and very much enjoyed winding down in the bar. Don't change it! It appears that the hotel rooms are now decorated with more contemporary furniture - I loved the very traditional furnishing style of the Conrad, but well, maybe not everyone does. The location is good for shopping and not too far to walk to the major sights.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LAreader2011
Grandhotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear LAreader2011,

Thank you for your review of the Grandhotel Brussels on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to see that you decided to return to the Grandhotel Brussels after the transition with Conrad and experienced again a pleasant stay at our property.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Valerie Wieman
Guest Relations
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is just out of the city centre on the team and metro line, in the shopping district. This means there's plenty of bars and restaurants near by that are not too touristy but is still a good location to explore the city from.
Large comfortable rooms and friendly staff, they also provide free wifi and bottled water, both of which I consider essential for a good hotel.

Room Tip: As the trams go by at the back of the hotel, get a room on a higher floor or at the front if you sle...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francesm624
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear francesm624,

Thank you for reviewing our property in the heart of Brussels!

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our complimentary turndown water and the wifi in the hotel. We are truly delighted with your compliments.

Please do stop by if you are ever in Brussels again.

Kindest regards from Brussels,

grosseto
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, very large room, very good service. They are baby friendly and the personnel is willing to help. Extras are pricy but the Spa deserves the 30€ per day it costs. Recommended especially if you find an offer. Location is good and in the surroundings there are very nice things to do.

Stayed May 2014
Grandhotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear julo1978,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here in Brussels and especially our location and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to welcome you very soon back in Brussels!

Kind regards,

Madera, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

From the elegant entrance and friendly staff, to the lovely room, comfy linens, and delicious breakfast, this is truly a first class hotel. The location was great with easy access to everything we wanted to see. My suitcase was damaged by the airlines and the housekeeping staff cleaned it for me. The concierge was wonderful, helping with train directions for Ghent,and walking directions to great restaurants. The room was very quiet even though the hotel is centrally located. I stayed four nights and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear MizJudy,

Thank you for posting your review about Steigenberger Grandhotel here on Tripadvisor.

We have read your review carefully, and we are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the level of service we delivered.

Please do contact us again if you are in Brussels again!

Kindest regards,

Del Mar, California
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Had to book last minute, and found a room here. I was pleasantly surprised. The checkin was a bit formal and stilted since I had made my reservation last minute and essentially on my way to the hotel in the cab. There was some confusion as to my room grade and upgrade options with Amex. After that was sorted, the room was very nice for the price. It's a fantastic location being near the upscale Louisa Avenue and international brand shopping experience you could find in any major city in the world. However since I had some time on my hands, I could walk to the Tesla and BMW showrooms so that wasn't too bad! The nice surprise was the antique district on the way to the Grand Place. I also found many great food options not far from the hotel. The hotel room-service was adequate but with no depth of menu nor wine list. The rooms are elegant, with nice linens and prompt and complete service with helpful staff. Breakfast in the morning is more than adequate, but coffee service is very slow. This would be an excellent hotel for business, as the wifi is free and there is plenty of room in the lobby for informal meetings. The hotel would need to burnish it's service and fit/finish to move up to truly 5 star, but it's a very compelling property with great potential. My first time staying with the Steigenberger brand, but might try another of their hotels after my stay here.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are generally quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear gliderking,

We would like to thank you for reviewing Steigenberger Grandhotel Brussels.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our rooms, the complimentary wifi in the hotel and our location on Avenue Louise.

We took note of your remarks about the room service wine list and the coffee at our breakfast restaurant. We are truly sorry for this matter, and we would like to inform you that we are investing in extensive training of all our staff members regularly.

Once more we do apologise about these inconveniences, but we do hope to welcome you back here at Steigenberger Grandhotel.

Yours sincerely,