“Very good overall but some missed details”

Steigenberger Wiltcher's
Ranked #27 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 31 May 2014

As often mentioned, the hotel is very well placed, close to many upscale boutiques, restaurants, and a metro station and a 20-30 minute walk from Grand-Place. The Steigenberger looks amazing on the outside. The hotel's strongest point is the service: everyone from the concierge to the bellhop and the receptionist will greet you with a smile and try their absolute best to make your stay a pleasant one. (Kudos to Karel in particular for his excellent service.) We stayed in a newly renovated room: the modern touch is very appreciated as are the space, the bathroom, and the multiple TV channels (we often find that European hotels have a lack of English TV channels).

However, there are some quirks (I'm guessing because renovations are still ongoing.) For instance, we did not have a safe in our room, and the air conditioner was faulty. Thankfully, the hotel gave us a safe without our asking for it, and we were given a fan since we didn't want to change rooms. The lobby's extended area has a worn-out feeling to it, especially the chairs. It also needs some ambiance (unsurprisingly, it's usually empty) although the evening pianist is a nice touch.

We didn't try either the bar or the room service.

On a side note, a hotel should be commended for paying as close attention to their clients' comments on TripAdvisor in a respectable manner and always striving to be improve. Steigenberger should get even better when their renovations will be complete.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Grandhotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Hiriza33,

Thank you for your sharing your constructive feedback regarding your stay at the Grandhotel Brussels on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that your stay was pleasant thanks to our guest services team, Karel in particular and the renovated room you have stayed in.

We would like to apologize for the malfunctioning air conditioning in your room, and are pleased that this issue was solved promptly with an appropriate solution for you.

Please be informed that the lobby will be renovated in the very near future as a logical step after the renovations of our guest rooms.

We are looking forward to see you back with us soon!

Warm Regards,

Valérie Wieman
Guest Relations Agent

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very good location of the Hotel. very nice area close to nice shops and various restaurants and bars.

However, I had a late arrival so I've decided to order room service. The pasta (any of the pasta dishes) was unavailable although on the Menu it said that it can be ordered 24/7. I was told that all I could have was a croque-monsieur with fries and a mozarella and tomato salad. I had both... the croque-monsieur was cold and not really cooked and both plate where not nicely presented. There was no water available for me nor a bottle opener which meant I had no other choice than paying for some flat water from the Minibar.

That same evening I also found some long hairs in my bathtub which I had to remove myself as I wanted to take a bath.

The next evening I asked at Reception if I could have some ice cubes delivered to my room as I like to drink my water ice cold. Despite calling Reception again 1 hour after initially asking for the ice cubes I never ever received them.

The Hotel is beautiful but the staff made me feel very unwelcome. I have been in many beautiful places, but this service wise this is definitely not a 5 Star Hotel. It is definitely not up to the same standards as it was when it was still called the Conrad Hotel Brussels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Barbara H
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations clients at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Barbara H,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Steigenberger Grandhotel Brussels here on Tripadvisor.

We did contact you as well via email regarding your stay with us. I truly feel sorry about these inconveniences that have made your stay less pleasant.

We would love to have another chance to redeem ourselves from the impression you might be under and would therefore be delighted to welcome you back.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone,

All my best,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great place to stay because of its proximity to the main shopping area, lots of restaurants just a few lanes down, tram station right outside hotel and subway pretty close as
well. As soon as you enter the hotel there is lovely fragrance awaiting with smiles on staffs face

• Stayed: March 2014
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear ankitkhan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Steigenberger Grandhotel Brussels here on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are already looking forward welcoming you again!

Please do not hesitate to contact us again,

All my best,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here years ago when it was a Conrad Hilton Hotel, and I thought it was the most beautiful and best hotel I had ever stayed in. We have stayed in many cities and in many fine hotels, but the Conrad provided a wonderful stay. It appears that the Steigenberger has kept the bar area unchanged and the breakfast room (light, bright, cheerful) virtually unchanged - I am so happy with that because I thought the bar had a very relaxing atmosphere. We arrived back at the hotel after a difficult day driving, and very much enjoyed winding down in the bar. Don't change it! It appears that the hotel rooms are now decorated with more contemporary furniture - I loved the very traditional furnishing style of the Conrad, but well, maybe not everyone does. The location is good for shopping and not too far to walk to the major sights.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LAreader2011
Grandhotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear LAreader2011,

Thank you for your review of the Grandhotel Brussels on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to see that you decided to return to the Grandhotel Brussels after the transition with Conrad and experienced again a pleasant stay at our property.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Valerie Wieman
Guest Relations

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is just out of the city centre on the team and metro line, in the shopping district. This means there's plenty of bars and restaurants near by that are not too touristy but is still a good location to explore the city from.
Large comfortable rooms and friendly staff, they also provide free wifi and bottled water, both of which I consider essential for a good hotel.

Room Tip: As the trams go by at the back of the hotel, get a room on a higher floor or at the front if you sle...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank francesm624
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear francesm624,

Thank you for reviewing our property in the heart of Brussels!

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our complimentary turndown water and the wifi in the hotel. We are truly delighted with your compliments.

Please do stop by if you are ever in Brussels again.

Kindest regards from Brussels,

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, very large room, very good service. They are baby friendly and the personnel is willing to help. Extras are pricy but the Spa deserves the 30€ per day it costs. Recommended especially if you find an offer. Location is good and in the surroundings there are very nice things to do.

Stayed: May 2014
Grandhotel B, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear julo1978,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here in Brussels and especially our location and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope to welcome you very soon back in Brussels!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

From the elegant entrance and friendly staff, to the lovely room, comfy linens, and delicious breakfast, this is truly a first class hotel. The location was great with easy access to everything we wanted to see. My suitcase was damaged by the airlines and the housekeeping staff cleaned it for me. The concierge was wonderful, helping with train directions for Ghent,and walking directions to great restaurants. The room was very quiet even though the hotel is centrally located. I stayed four nights and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Grandhotel B, Responsable relations publiques at Steigenberger Wiltcher's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear MizJudy,

Thank you for posting your review about Steigenberger Grandhotel here on Tripadvisor.

We have read your review carefully, and we are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the level of service we delivered.

Please do contact us again if you are in Brussels again!

Kindest regards,