“Really enjoyed the Stanhope!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Stanhope Hotel

Stanhope Hotel
Ranked #20 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“Really enjoyed the Stanhope!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I stayed here in August of 2011 for two nights. I thought the hotel was superb. The place radiates luxury and warmth. The rooms are beautifully appointed and public areas exude elegance. The hotel offers a number of nice touches to make your stay more pleasant -- fresh fruit on every floor, a computer for guests with complimentary internet and printer access, attentive staff, a nice sauna and complimentary major newspapers. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank air11712
The_Management_Team, General Manager at Stanhope Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your nice feedback on our Hotel that we received trough the Tripadvisor website.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as the fresh fruit, sauna and complimentary news papers.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Stanhope Hotel in a near futur, we remain,

The Stanhope Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

The Stanhope was way above my expectations. The service was excellent and the room was huge.

I was expecting a a sub-par room, but I got what seemed to be a suite. There were great toiletries from L'Occitane and even a pair of slippers. The bathtube was so big.

The location was a bit far from the action so if you like to go out at night, you will need to walk about 15 minutes.

If you take the 21 bus from the airport, it is only a block away from the hotel. To get to the airport can be tricky though. The bus never came. I would suggest taking a taxi for a couple of euros to the Gare Centrale to take the train to the airport.

Great hotel. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Speedy688
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor travelers.

We are pleased to hear that your stay met up on your expectations and your nice comments have been forwarded to our staff members.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, we remain,

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Loved this hotel. Staff were lovely and helpful. Rooms were amazing. Breakfast was very tasty and plenty of it.
Location was ok, but would have liked to be a bit closer to the Grand Place etc.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review we received trough the Tripadvisor website.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we can assure you that nice comments like yours are mostly appreciated by our staff members.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Stanhope Hotel on your next trip to Brussels, we remain,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was a great hotel in every respect. Our rooms were great and the breakfasts were lovely. Staff are incredibly kind and helpful and we would accordingly recommend the hotel with enthusiasm.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor travelers and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

As we are currently working to keep up the high level of services; it is always a pleasure to share positive feedbacks from our guests with our staff members.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Stanhope Hotel on your next stay in Brussels, we remain,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

we stayed in the Stanhope after a hectic few days roughing it at a festival and were looking forward to relaxing in a bit of luxury unfortunately that was not to be..

I had forgotten to print off my booking confirmation which I was told was absolutely required despite the fact that the booking was on the system and i had all my identification.. I was pointed to a computer in the reception.. after missing out on sleep for 3 days I was not in the humour for battling a completely different keyboard format.. everntually we managed to print it and handed it in.. I thought this was the end of it but on checking out I checked the invoice and noted that the it was showing the full room rate as due despite it being paid and indicated as such on the booking reference I had battled to produce the previous day! I had originally booked through one online agent then cancelled it and rebooked at a cheaper rate.. it appeared they had not updated the cancellation.. and I was told that the system would be down until the evening and I got the impression that this was a regular occurance. I had to leave the hotel without the issue being resolved but after I gave them my credit card details.. to be fair it was resolved before they put the final charges to my card but found it annoying considering we were just looking to completely unwind.

The room were were given was a duplex with a stairs to the bed which might not suit some people.. could not find any airconditioning unit in our particular room although the hotel guidance states that it is beside the door.. I assume we were in a older part of the hotel.. anyway I didnt query it so I could be wrong. The tv downstairs also came on sporadically until we plugged it out. I

Overally I would not rate this as a 5 start hotel at all but a 4 star with marble floored reception.

The underground is just around the corner and its the easiest way to get into the centre of brussels which is a bit of a walk away.

Also found every extra very expensive. Got room service with a glass of milk and I think it was 2 or 3 euro just for the milk. My friend was told that the cleaning service cost €5 per item (just normal laundery.. not dry cleaning)

Also note that all the eating places seem to close during the afternoon.. they open for lunch and dinner only. We got caught out and had to eat in the hotel again but at that time of the day the menu is a bit limited. However, the food was very good.

Dont think I will stay at this hotel the next time I'm in brussels although I should note that the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sallyann82
The_Management_Team, General Manager at Stanhope Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to inform us about your experience in our hotel and the nice comments done on our staff, the location and the food quality.

We regret to hear about the issues on the moment of check-in as well as with the air-conditioning and we hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.
As the exact arrival date is unknown, the only explication for the check-in issue is an exceptional and unforeseen down moment of our system with a temperately impossibility of verification of the reservations back-up.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will give us the chance to prove you that comments of our guests are taken serious.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Management Office if you have any other questions or just to make sure that we can organize a nice welcome on a next stay.

Once again, we apologize and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Stanhope Hotel, we remain,

The Management Team.
Goa, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stanhope is housed in a turn of the century residence and the hotel reflects this charm and warmth. We had a very comfortable room. The service was very good and the breakfast superb. The hotel is very well located central, yet quiet. We bought some excellent chocolates from a shop around the corner - highly recommended.
The decor, the rooms, the restaurant are all very different from the standard hotel one faces round the world.
The only complaint was that the shower was awkward to use.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and the nice comments concerning our hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our services and the relaxing atmosphere.

We have taken carefully note of your remark concerning the shower and we hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel in Brussels but were disappointed that, when we checked out, we had 75 Euros of "car parking charges".

Their website does state that "Parking is available" but we were not told about the price when we checked in. Knowing that it was 25 Euros a day to park there, we would've parked elsewhere.

We were also disappointed that the "double room" was actually two single beds pushed together. Something which happens a lot in Europe I believe but, for the price and star rating of the hotel, I would've expected a "double room" to have a double bed.

Like I said, nice hotel and lovely breakfast but disappointed with the extra charges and not being warned first and the bed issue ... because of these, I may not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robertgcross
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to inform us about your experience in our property and the nice comments on our hotel and breakfast.

We have taken carefully note of your remark concerning the car parking rate and we would like to inform you that it is mentioned on a special note next to the elevator that gives access from level -1 to the lobby. Normally, the receptionist informs ones more the guests at the moment of check-in but for an unknown reason, apparently this did not happen this time. We hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for this this exceptional lack of information and please be assured that the necessary actions have been taken to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.

In reference to your comment concerning the double bed, we have indeed a few rooms like this and some of our guests prefer this type of bed. As we always try to satisfy our clients, a room change can be requested at the reception desk if the bed feels uncomfortable and is not at convenience of the client. We would like to kindly suggest to inform the reservations department on a future booking about your bed preferences so we can take it in consideration before arrival.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Management Office for any further questions or just to make sure that we can organize a nice welcome on a next stay.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope that you will give us the chance to prove that comments like yours are taken seriously and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, we remain,