“Adequate accommodations”

Ranked #77 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate accommodations”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, in a good, safe location. Maybe 10 min walk to Brussels Midi station. 10 min to Grand Place and Mannekin Pis. I had a double room on the 1st floor, was comfortable enough.Small shower room and basin, but adequate. Only thing I didnt like was the toilet is down the corridor.70 euros is an okay price, not including breakfast. I stayed 2 nights before moving to a mainstream hotel chain for my last 3 nights in Brussels.
Would i stay here again? PROBABLY NOT(based on other hotels with similar rates that include complete ensuite facilities) e

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here last night as I was unable to take the train home after a concert at the Ancienne Belgique (the concert finished after the last train back).

I will start by focusing on the positives:
1. Great central location - about 10 minutes walk from the centre of the city. Tramway links (misleadingly signed as Metro) are also good, about 150m, the nearest station being Annesseens - a tramway only station. The nearest metro stations are probably either De Broucke (town centre where all the shops are) to the north east, or Bruxelles Midi/Zuidstation Brussel (great for Eurostar, TGV, Thalys and ICE Bahn travellers to the hotel!) to the south west. Plenty of choices for restaurants in the vicinity - including for fussy eaters or someone who fancies being lazy - Pizza Hut, McDonalds .... pretty much everybody is covered.

2. Good choice of television channels, and it caters for speakers of up to 6 different languages. In this order the language which had the most channels; a) French b) Dutch c) English d) German e) Joint for Spanish & Italian. It did get a bit confusing which remote to use though ... at one point I thought I wiped all of the channels from the TV - thankfully, it appeared I was using the wrong remote.

3. Good welcoming pack, even though I'm not a tea/coffee drinker.

4. I got a good night's sleep which is of the prime importance when looking for a hotel to sleep in. Everything else comes second.

The NEGATIVES:
1. The receptionist (bar the woman who told me breakfast had finished), was the only member of staff I had seen and communicated with during my stay. I'm not sure if it was due to their lack of English (I can speak French, I'm bilingual), but they weren't too welcoming. By welcoming I mean just little chit-chat, about the weather, or the area. I was out of check-in and check-out pretty swiftly.
2. The décor in the hallway needs a major update!
3. I wasn't too sure about the décor in the bedroom. It just seemed really loud to me. A bright shade of peach for a lot of the furniture and the walls.
4. I didn't check that I was getting an ensuite before I arrived, so that is MY FAULT, but I did find that the toilet room was claustrophobic. I don't suffer from claustrophobia but I wouldn't recommend a room without a toilet to people who suffer from that.
5. My room didn't offer a great view. True, I was just using it as a base for the night after a night out at a concert and whilst I was doing touristy stuff in the day, but for somebody who is a bit less adventurous than I am, a view of a car park wouldn't exactly be the most thrilling thing to look at.

The INDIFFERENCE:
I cannot inform you about the quality of the breakfast offered, nor the price, as I arrived too late to actually eat there, so I had to check-out of the hotel (check-out is 11 or before- but apparently you can extend your stay if you wish, all you have to do is talk to the receptionist- and breakfast finishes at 10 during the week) and head for breakfast in a nearby restaurant.

Room Tip: There are plenty of little shops near by to get food and water, and whilst they are not 24/7, they a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
JP
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Maybe I was expected too much by these good reviews. I felt just NORMAL. In fact, location was very good. But the room and staff were nothing special. Wifi was very weak. I felt its a bit expensive for these details. The restaurant across the street was awesome. There was super nice staff and good price dishes.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lacshan1
Arlington
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Two of us stayed here on two separate occasions - a one-night stay, and later a two-night stay. For the one-night stay we took a double room with the shared bathroom (shower and sink were in the room). The second stay was a double room that had a bathroom. The first room was small, but not unmanageably so. The second room was bigger and quite nice for the price. The shared bathroom was just down the hall and clean (though very small). Linens and towels were clean, and the showers were very nice (looked like a recent renovation perhaps). All of the people are the check-in desk with very friendly, spoke good English, and offered helpful recommendations when asked. The first day we arrived at around 10am without a reservation and were able to go to our room immediately; we had a pre-planned reservation for the second stay, and arriving around noon were also able to head to our room upon arrival.

Perhaps most importantly, the location was just perfect. A 10-minute walk to both the Grand'Place and Midi/Zuid train station, it was perfect for walking to all corners of central Brussels (it's a very compact center). When we first arrived at Midi station we took the Metro (two stops) and then walked a block to the hotel; but we quickly realized that it was just as easy to walk to/from the station and save the money. When we left Brussels we walked instead to the Centraal Station (located near Grand'Place) which was about equidistant (we wanted one last waffle!).

All-in-all I would highly recommend this hotel for the casual traveler to Brussels. It may not have all of the bells and whistles of the more expensive hotels, but for the price and location, it's a very good deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I'm a single, budget traveler and balance this by looking for small pensions and hotels within walking distance of where I want to visit. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. A very nice staff, a couple blocks from metro, 5 minute walk to the gay neighborhood and 10 minute, at most, walk to the main tourist sites, such and M. Pis and Grand Square. I also easily walked uptown to see the parks, Palace of Justice and not-to-be-missed Gothic church. It's 2 or 3 stops from Central station (don't walk it). My only complaint is the very nice breakfast room was overpriced and it was not made clear when I checked in that it was not included in the room price...you show your key and they add it to the room bill. I was there over May Day and there was a huge concert and rally in the square it faces, which was too bad, but the square was cleaned up beautifully the next day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Nice hotel which is relatively close to two underground stations. Quite central but there isn't really much to do around the area. Not very many good restaurants close by either. Hotel staff were incredibly friendly, rooms and bathrooms were huge and spacious. Free wifi and water dispenser. Access to computers and printing for a small fee. Great experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Miratejo
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Everything was fine in this hotel. Its centraly located. The Staff seems to be Nice. The price its fair. The room was spacious and simple with All You need for a couple of nights. Free and good wi fi. The Street near this hotel have plenty of spaces Where You can buy chego food.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple