“The worst place in my life”

Auberge Autrichienne
Ranked #197 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Kiev
“The worst place in my life”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This place was "a substitute" for booked earlier but "technically not available" Auberge Van Strombeek. The ugly bug-house with dirty space, nasty odor and broken furniture situated in very bad place. I can't say anything good about this hotel. One way to improve it - eliminate totally.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank KievIgor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Olanta, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We arrived in the city on a holiday without reservations, had this hotel recommended by another property without any vacancies. The suggestor called ahead to assure us there was a triple available and with a price quote. We walked far from our parking and found it near the Gare du Midi. The rooms were very sparely furnished, but clean and comfortable. There was a shower in the triple room with the wc across the hall. The hotelier assisted me in parking privately after I'd retrieved my auto from its distant location. It's easy to navigate to this location on a major thoroughfare. I especially liked the Asian menu at the eatery in the lobby area. Food was prepared to perfection and a welcome treat after a long day of sight-seeing. I've had much worse fare at many touristy joints in this city.

Our party became separated from each other at the beginning evening of our visit. The hotelier received the lost guests, put their cab fare on the bill, fed them and soothed their unhappy spirits until the stray member returned and reunited the family. I was terrified of having lost my Mom, this gentleman made her feel nurtured and appreciated. He calmed me as I returned in a highly distraught state and fed me a nice dinner without any fuss. His wine list was perfect to dismiss my earlier distress. All's well that ends well.

I stayed here twice more when I visited Brussells, never disappointed. It's also near Place Sablon's antique flea market so there's additional justification to its location.

Room Tip: Call ahead, specify which accomodations and ammenities with which you cannot do without. Ask many qu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Euro-lust
Brussels
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Poor hotel in rubbish part of city poor night sleep hotel right next to railway trains past every minute

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank james f

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Mol, Belgium
Reviewed 16 October 2012

When we arrived the receptionist was really confusing, only spoke a little english (no french or dutch either). The room was dirty, carpet was smelly and i didn't dare to walk on it without my shoes on. The window was broken, so it required some force to kinda close it. Trains where riding just out back. The light over our bed didn't work, lots of mildew in the bathroom.

Let's just say I won't be staying here ever again! even if every hotel in Brussels is booked...

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selphis
Biot, France
Reviewed 10 September 2012

all hotels were fully booked in Brussels this week and my company only found this hotel with a room free. When arriving at the reception, a couple of travelers were complaining and canceling their reservation. After waiting for a long time, the guy at the reception told me I had to pay in advance for the 2 nights. When I entered the room, the walls and whole building started to shake. When opening the curtains, I saw a train passing by ; I could nearly touch the railway from the window. The room was VERY dirty, TV not working, bed sheets extremely suspicious (blood ?). The first night was a nightmare. I was able to hear the guy at the reception on the phone almost all night speaking very loud - also the police arrived at some time... Breakfast was ... ok let's forget it...
This was definitely my worst hotel experience ever... AVOID IT at all costs.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 September 2008

The hotel is located near Gard du Midi(train station), on Rue de Stalingrad. Fore me it was ideal to live close to the railway station, but that does not mean that I want to live ON the railway lines. As you can see on the photo, the railway lines are right under my window. The staff on the the hotel was not very polite, and when I came up to my room, the maid was sitting there reading a magazine. Not a very good first impression. The room was not so bad, but you don't get what you pay for.

• Liked — The american channel on the TV
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo