“Good and bad, overall ok”
Review of Hotel Galia

Hotel Galia
Ranked #123 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Location: 15minutes walk to grand place, ( quiet long way back to hotel at night but safety is ok ) ,15minutes walk to midi train station ( eurostar) and nearest metro station is Porte de Hall. Few reataurant nearby and some convenient store where u can get fair price mineral water. Service: the receptionist was polite and helpful. He was available until 10pm everyday. But there were no room cleaning service throughout our three days of stay. No one clear the rubbish in our room :(. Wifi: stated as free wifi but accurately wifi is only available at the lobby. I talked to the receptionist that no wifi at my floor but he said on internet stayed as only available on ground floor, which i thought it was stated in the reviews not the hotel website. Facilities:no lift and only staircase:( tv fixed too high in position so it was uncomfortable to watch on the bed. and no batteries in the remove control of tv so we have to wake up and walk to tv to change channels omg!! the toilet was 3 in 1 small compartment , looked clean and only when i used it i felt it was so so small for showering( ii m considered small sized). The worse thing was the shower system. there were both hot and cold water supply. And we need to adjust both openers until the desired water temperature was achieved. We often need at least 5-10 minutes standing inside to adjust water tenperature. It was either too hot or too cold, or it may change temperature while u r showering. This prob seem ok during summer, i cant imaging if this was during winter where i hav to spend time in the toilet to adjust water temperature everyday where a hot bath is very much needed!! The window in my room couldnt be closed. And it seem dangerous to have the window open at night as it is big and a person can crawl into ur room easily. That why we want to close the window when we were out but it just couldnt! :(. But all in all we have a safe stay here. No air condition in the room, but there is a heater here:) Breakfast: 5 euro per person, from 7 to 10am. Buffet style, a typical continental breakfast but lack of eggs, tomatoes. A few varieties of bread including crossaint. Three types of hams and cheese. The variety of food was good but the quality was very very basic i would say. Overall, this hotel is basically good and clean and reliable. Just the wifi, no lift and poor shower system post some inconveniences uring my stay. For budget travellers, if this hotel offer good deals, it is still worth to consider:)

1  Thank Chai Qin S
There are newer reviews for Hotel Galia

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I thought this was a fantastic hotel. The location is perfect for all sorts of trips to Brussels. The guy on reception who greeted us was friendly enough and I liked that the room keys were also for the front door. The room decor was nice and while the rooms were small I liked it, felt modern but with a unique twist.

The only downside was that it was boiling hot and there was no air con. Having the giant windows open helped but that also let in noise from outside (I was too tired to care).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

First impression of this hotel may leave something to be desired... The reception area and stairways struck me as ratty and randomly furnished, and I got the feeling they might be renovating, but didn't ask. The neighborhood also feels a little sketchy, perhaps just because during the day there's a flea market across the street, and at night the streets are pretty empty. However, there are a few restaurants around that average Bruxelloises appear to patronize, so it can't be that bad.

My room (#51) was great for me, on the top floor under the slanted roof - what a hike up the stairs! - with a window that opened over the plaza. I think most of the rather spare furnishings were from Ikea, and the bathroom was nice enough. The only really odd things were the tiny TV with barely any channels and a hole in the ceiling of the bathroom apparently waiting for a light fixture. It all seemed pretty clean, and I especially liked the wood floors.

The dining room was quite nice, exactly as pictured on their web site, and breakfast was a pretty good bargain at E5. I didn't get a chance to eat at the restaurant in the evening. My main contact with the staff was at check-in, which went perfectly well (I had reserved online at Venere.com).

While my stay here was perfectly fine, although a little more expensive than it seems to be worth, I doubt I would stay here again mainly because of the distance from most of the city's attractions.

Room Tip: If you want twin beds and a good hike, I can recommend the top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Hija_del_sol
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We got this hotel at a good price and we got a lovely room. The room seemed to be nicely refurbished in a qurky style. It's in a great location. Within walking distances to most places. The restaurant next door was lovely. Only criticism I would have is, whoever was on the reception that night seriously needs to not behave as if guests checking in are an inconvience to him. Everything was explained to us between sighs and eye rolling. Really abrupt with us! Does he know he's working in the hospitality business? Not impressed!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank EmmaJane261
Reviewed 23 January 2013

It is a small and confortable hotel, the service is good, we had breakfast included and it was a nice one, also the restaurant is very cosy, our room was clean, quite, bigger than we were expecting because of the other hotels in Europe that we visited... The only thing that was a little shocking for us, was the location, because there is a flea and antiques market just in front, so in the mornings the square looks dirty, and at nights it looks a Little insecure, but we walked around and absolutely nothing happened. It was a nice experience, I would recomend it for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We wented to this hotel for a short trip of three days with a group.
Our room was in the back.

We couldn't open the door, it was blocked. When we pulled with all our weight it opened. The guy at the reception refused to come help.
There were only 4 very tiny towels, no pillow cases, no glasses in the bathroom, the room was filty, mould everywhere. The toilet wasn't cleaned, you had to sit across on the toilet 'cause the sink was placed too nearby the toilet. The building isn't isolated so you could feel the wind trough the walls. The next day we could't have clean towels 'cause they were out of towels.

The matras was full of dirty things (I didn't want to know what it was) of other people. I wanted a pillow case, the pillow was just nasty. The guy at the reception said they went trough their pillow cases and gave me a blanket to pull over the pillow.
I'm asking: wich solid hotel doesn't have clean pillow cases, doesn't have enough towels for all the guests and refuse to help their guests?

Breakfast: not much choise! No youghurt, no apple juice, no fruit. Just orange juice, coffee or water. Loafs of bread, cheese, salami, baguette and croissants. You could also take cereals.

I definitely NOT recommend this hotel!! It is very overpriced. I'll never come back to hotel Galia!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Guest O
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Cracking hotel a 10 minute walk from The Grand Place, Stayed for 3 nights clean towels every day rooms cleaned daily, 24 hour reception, breakfast is continental and had plenty of fresh breads,meats,cheeses and choices of cereal's and fruit juices, only downside was no tea or coffee making facilities were available in the room's.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends