“Lovely little gem!”

Ranked #299 of 3,960 Restaurants in Brussels
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 December 2014

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel and what a lovely little gem it was too! First recommendation - make sure you have a reservation as it is pleasantly buzzing, with lots of locals (always a good sign) and without a reservation you will struggle to get in! Although it is just steps from the Grand Place, it is tucked away down a side street and very unostentatious from the outside, but once inside........!

The decor is quaint and Margritte with nice subdued lighting, setting a romantic atmosphere. Service was excellent but it was the food and portions that really excelled.

The bread was very tasty and fresh but the starters of Foie Gras and duck rilletes were really tasty and ample portions! Then the mains! My lamb shank was really delicious and the meat tender and meltingly fell off the bone. My wife's steak was perfect and she loved the gratin potatoes. We chose the offered red wine which was lovely and warmingly spicy! Mmmm.

The bill was only 130 euros including tip for a lovely experience - so good in fact we immediately reserved again for our departing lunch where the mussels I had were far superior to the ones I had had at a restaurant on the Grand Place only 2 days earlier.

When we go back to Brussels, we will definitely return here!

Reviewed 12 December 2014

I had dinner in this small brasserie with business colleagues on a recent weekday evening in December. Our hotel made the reservation for us. My group has eaten here before and I wrote a TA review in January 2012. On this occasion I once again had the fish soup starter, which is really excellent, and several of us shared a very good goose liver pate. For the main, I had the Sole Meunière and was frankly disappointed: I’ve had it at other restaurants where it was much better. One colleague had the lamb shank and liked it; three others had steak and said it was good but not great. Most of us had potatoes au gratin for the side. They were OK but in my opinion had a slightly odd flavor. My meal including paying for a share of the house red wine and a modest tip was 60 euro. Overall I was somewhat disappointed. I’ve had better meals here in the past. There are plenty of similar brasseries in Brussels, and I’ll probably try a different one next time.

Reviewed 8 December 2014

We tried three times during our stay in Brussels before finally securing a table for dinner on a Sunday night in early December. It was worth the wait. We had an enjoyable dinner of very tasty chicken vol-au-vent (the waitress called in chicken stew) and lamb shank. The chicken stew came with the some of the best frits we have had so far in Belgium, crispy and hot. The restaurant was very busy with a number of people without reservations being turned away. The service was good however the welcome upon arrival could be a little warmer. Prospective patrons are left standing unsure what to do and feeling awkward.

Reviewed 6 December 2014

Before I start with the food: this brasserie has a décor which is inspired by Magritte - the ceiling is a sky where fish - of course - are not missing, and there are raining men with umbrellas on the wall. This would have been enough for me to fully enjoy the place.

The service is friendly, the tables are quite comfortable and the food was superb. My choice was a jarret d'agneau. When the plate arrived I actually thought about just looking at it because the plate was so esquisitely arranged. But of course a few seconds later the smell reached my nose and I moved on to having a memorable meal.

This has been my best dining experience in Brussels.

Reviewed 3 December 2014

We stumbled onto this brasserie just off the Grand Place. It doesn't look like the proverbial tourist trap, which you see so often in that vicinity. The service is courtious and the food is great at reasonable prices. We'll be back there!