“Gem”

and up
The Brussels Card with Optional STIB Public Transportation
Ranked #55 of 407 things to do in Brussels
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I am glad I made the trek out to see this museum. It had extensive collections. I also loved the variety, both history and art. Great place to visit.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

A landmark of Belgian history worth to be visited for the monument and for the various museums it is housing. The Autoworld museum is a must.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The Musee du Cinquantenaire is a must see in Brussels. The Greek, Roman and Egyptian collections are as good as any I've seen in the British Museum. The Baroque and Renaissance art is breath taking! There are tapestries and religious are pieces that are truly magnificent. There's a great exhibit about Iron Age Europe. The building itself is stunning. Best of all, I visited on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon and it was just about empty (no need to queue like at the Uffizi). The restaurant is also great with some mouth watering dishes. Enjoy!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I went to the Museum of Military History with my boyfriend (big history buff). It was pretty cool to see all these uniforms and weapons from the past in such good condition.

Positives:
Free admission
Open on weekends (naturally)
Huge and informative exhibits, especially the aviation exhibit

Negative
Somewhat repetitive (lots of swords and muskets)
Kind of musty smell (I know, its a museum...)
Signs only in French and Dutch (Signs in English and German would be a nice touch for tourists as well)

Overall, we enjoyed it very much.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A hidden gem - we were almost on our own when we visited on a Saturday. The museum has a very electic collection from roman mosaics to clocks. We especially enjoyed the collection of Mexican and central American art with fun shaped jugs from pouring cocao beans etc. Never seen anything like it. Next door is there is a (free) war museum and a car collection.

1  Thank martin m

Been to Musee du Cinquantenaire? Share your experiences!