“Fantastic experience!”

Ranked #21 of 410 things to do in Brussels
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Discover the fabulous family brewery of the Cantillon Brewery, where Lambic, Gueuze and Kriek have been made since 1900. Also home to the Brussels museum of the Gueuze. Open from Monday till Saturday, except on Wednesday, from 10:00AM. Last entrance at 04:00PM (we close at 05:00PM)
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Highly recommended when you are visiting Brussels, reasonably easy to reach by public transport, and once inside the big yellow doors, you are transported into a buzzing, friendly, noisy ( bottling at the time of our visit) fascinating part of history.
Loved being able to look inside the vats, climb wooden stairs and peer into huge copper trays, eye off the vast stacks of barrels, and take our time with a wonderfully informative brochure guiding the way. We liked being able to take the tour at our own pace.
Two samples afterwards completed our experience. Just fantastic!

1  Thank DrAffable

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is the centre of the Lambic beer/Gueuze universe. Although there are a few places springing up around the World that are now brewing lambics it's only in Payottenland the pukka stuff is made.
Cantillon is a family owned brewery, steeped in tradition and using the same skills and artisanal methods handed down generation to generation. It produces some of the most sensational Oude Gueuzes/fruit lambics available anywhere. For a nominal sum you are able to wander around on a self guided tour and then sample the product afterwards.

Fantastic stuff.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I don't know how I found this place. If I didn't know any better it basically looks like some no name place in the rundown part of town. However, this is what happens when the brewery has been in the same location for over 100 years and the city grows around it.

However, when you walk inside the big barn door you get the true sense of why you are here, BEER! This is exactly what you are going to get, and wow, they make some amazing beers.

My wife and I lucked out big time on the tour. We accidentally went on a guided tour with a beer group and this really made it for us. The usual tour is €7 and includes a booklet that talks about the brewery, beer and people but also include two small tasters. With the guided tour we got all that and the most opinionated tour guide ever. It was great.

The brewery is old, uses old techniques and make old styles of beer. The beer is delicious and you can taste the history in every sip. Everything that goes into the beer has been chosen for very specific reasons over the 100+ years. This is a great combination of art and science and they are killing it.

The beer is relatively cheap, but very limited so if you are looking for something rare get there early in the season as they only brew in the winter and will have the best stock then.

Overall, I couldn't ask for a better atmosphere, group of people or beer from Cantillon. It was the highlight of my time in Brussels.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Went here with a beer tour group and it was very interesting to learn and see how beer/lambic is supposed to be made. After seeing the brewery we had a tasting and it was amazing. The sour lambic wasnt really my thing but I definitely appreciated it. The vibe in here was amazing and I wish we had more time here. Next time I will come without the tour so I can try more flavors. Definitely recommend a trip here since this beer is probably one of the rarest in the world.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We went during a stay in Brussels as my partner is a beer lover.

It's near the South Station (about 15 minute walk from the centre) on a side street. It is a small family run brewery which you can also look round.

For €7 (£5) you get a ten minute introduction in English, a small guidebook and then you can walk around the small brewery at your leisure. Included in the price are two beers, a lambic and one of your choice (you can buy more afterwards in the bar). There's also a gift shop for a few souvenirs of the brewery (t shirts, jugs, beer mats and the like).

We spent about an hour in total and took lots of pictures - the barrel room was great

1  Thank njd26_99