“Better than expected”

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank L911812

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The location is good, but I wish the wifi is free. We need to plan our journey and we need to use the internet. My husband and I stay in one room with our baby, while my parents in law stay in another room. My parents in law ask to be place in a room near us however the staff said that the room do not have a bathroom! That's so weird! The room we were in is so not nice at all. The sheets had holes on it. There's not enough towels. No towels for feet and it is slippery. I almost fell and my husband experience the same thing.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank QeylaAleeqa
Reviewed 20 February 2014

ideal location, 3 minute walk from le grand place, however VERY dirty. stains on the sheets, lots of hair matted into spare blankets and the room was freezing cold. fine for a one night stay if priority is location and just need a bed for the night, but don't expect much.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I missed to book at Ibis and thus settled for this hotel. I have a mixed experience... the morning person in the reception was rude... very rude... check-in at 3pm so 3pm.. not even at 2.45pm! He sent me back at 2.45pm asking to come at 3pm for check-in. I have traveled to all kinds of places and hotels, but this was the first time something like this happened. We respect check-in time, but I wish he had said this at least little nicely. It would have left a positive feeling then. We came then very late in the evening. A new staff and he was completely the opposite. Was helpful and really nice. Room given to us was good. Adequate bathroom with a bathtub. Towels and linen were clean. The one problem was you could hear everything happening and being talked in the other room. I mean this was little embarrassing. As you hear them, others hear you too. Otherwise, everything else was just fine. Our stay was good and we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ajay K
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The info on Booking.com was misleading. I paid extra for an "Executive Single Room" -- instead was put in a weird room with four single beds. I asked for a better room and they moved me to the "Executive Floor" and the new room had two single beds. The hotel overall is crappy and lacks charm of any sort. Using the word "Executive" for anything here is a joke.

Didnt feel safe leaving any valuables there.

Everything functions fine though and it was tolerable for a one night stay once I got over the BIG difference from the way it is promoted on the web and the way it really is. Breakfast is fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank richard_traveler
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Well, the hotel has a major advantage; it is probably the cheapest one in the center of Brussels, really close to the Central Train Station and about 15 mins on foot from the European Commission buildings. Price is not that low but surely attractive compared to other hotels in this location. To me things were simple; take the train from the Brussels airport, get off at Central station and find the hotel nearby.

The hotel is old - really old. My room was old and small, featuring a nice flat TV and a tiny desk with a chair. Good thing that there were several power outlets for charging devices. There was a small safe in the room but it was out of order (probably the batteries ran out). The bed was awful - the mattress was so "liquid" as if it was a water mattress so I could hardly sleep during the night. On the other hand, the bathroom looked bright and much newer than the room. The shower gel dispenser was empty so I used my own (sample) gel and shampoo. It was the first time I used mine toiletries after many years of travelling. The dispensed with the soap was full but I could not reach it from inside the bath. There were also only two towels (one for the head/hands and one for the body - where was the one for the feet??).

The breakfast was rather poor (e.g. one kind of sliced cheese and ham, boiled eggs and bread for the salty part - croissants etc. for the sweet part), coffee and one kind of juice. Everything was high quality and tasty, so it made up for the lack of variety. The breakfast room was also bright and there was place for everyone.

The receptionists were really friendly and helped us in several cases (e.g. providing directions, assisting with luggage storage etc.). We were also allowed to spend some time in the breakfast room after we checked out, which was appreciated since there was a constant light rain outside.

I didn't like that fact that there was a charge for the wifi, especially since the signal was weak in some rooms (one colleague paid but had issues with the connection). I paid almost 120 euros (incl. breakfast) for a tiny and old room and it would have made it more attractive to have free wifi in the price to make up for the drawback of the room.

I would visit the same hotel again, mostly for the location and price; however, next time I will be prepared to face the issues that I identified during my stay. It is not awful but cannot compare to other hotels in the area in terms of quality. However, quality costs a lot in Brussels!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank vprot
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The best thing of this hotel surely is the location, in the center of the city and on a nice square of the town (but you have to know that if you have a room on that side of the building you may hear some noise at night, at least during summer). Also the breakfast is good, and the staff is very nice and kind. On the other side, the rooms are not so big, and some furnitures are a bit damaged: my bedside table and the curtains looked a bit old and they had some burnings, apparently from cigarettes. Also the bathroom looks a bit old, but it's clean (there also is shower gel, but not any soap or shower cap).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends