“surprised at how badly this went”

Sandton Hotel Pillows Brussels
Ranked #8 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“surprised at how badly this went”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in the Sandton Pillows Brussels for 2 nights, and overall I was not impressed. About the only thing positive I can say is that it was not too expensive. Let me describe a few issues.

Upon checking in, we found that our first room had a very noisy ventilation fan (whirring with a high-pitch whine). The reception desk employee didn't seem to care about it, but was able to get us changed. The second room seemed fine at first, but upon return after dinner that evening we found that you could hear neighboring rooms extremely easily--even very light conversation, let alone anything else. So we were moved again to another floor. This room was pretty quiet, but that wasn’t the end of the troubles.

The room we ultimately had was at the bottom of some flight of steps--after taking the elevator, you still need to descend some stairs. That would be OK, except that the hallway lights are on a motion sensor. The motion sensor is near the elevator, quite a distance from the room door. So, when you exit the room to go to the elevator, it’s almost pitch dark in the hallway. The sensor does not detect you until you are already at the top of the stairs. My wife tripped on the stairs a couple of times. They also use motion sensor lights in the shower and toilet stalls (two separate “water closets”). The sensor cannot detect you when you’re in the shower, though, so it would go dark every 1-2 minutes. You could only get the light back on by waving your hand over the top of the glass shower door. Luckily I’m tall enough, but too bad for the petite people or any children who get surprised by it.

Did I mention there is no kettle in the room to make tea or coffee? That alone wouldn’t be so bad if there were alternatives provided. For example, I stayed in a Motel One before and it doesn’t have kettles; but they would have coffee and hot water in the lobby with easy access. At this Hotel Sandton, the hotel staff always gave me different information about the coffee or tea. One lobby employee was very nice and carried up tea and coffee to our room for free (he almost tripped on the dark stairs, too). Another employee told me they would only give me coffee if I paid. Yet another employee gave me the coffees, but later asked me my room number so I could be charged. What a mess. All in all I wish I had either gone with a different budget hotel or just booked a bit more for a more proper hotel.

Room Tip: If you do choose this place, be mindful about any mobility issues with your room and be careful in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yamamus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent location, most attractions are walking distance and surrounding the hotel tons of bars and restaurants.
Room extremely comfortable, recently renewed and modern.
The staff was great, very helpful.
Only issue for me is that as a four star hotel I expected it to have room service and a restaurant for dinner.
Would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
PeterHesp, General Manager at Sandton Hotel Pillows Brussels, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Sunny R,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad our central location could suit you. As for the rooms, it's been only 2 years since we opened, and this is the reason everything in the hotel is renewed. Good that the staff has been helpful as well.
I would like to thank you for your positive feedback about the restaurant, the chances are high that a restaurant will open at Pillows after Summer. We hope to welcome you soon to let you have a taste ! With very kind regards,

Would stay there again.
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Nice small hotel, very well situated, within walking distance from museums and the main shopping area. Friendly staff and stylish interior. Superb bed you will sleep like a baby. Excellent breakfast and restaurant. Thoroughly recommend this hotel!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
PeterHesp, General Manager at Sandton Hotel Pillows Brussels, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mr Nigel B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.com
I will share your comments with my entire team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of them as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Nice boutique hotel for a good price, and in a great location (close to the train station, close to city centre). Nice rooms as well. I didn't have the breakfast, so can't comment on that.

However, I have to say the staff was just great. I left my perfume in the room, and I came back a few days later for it. They found it, and gave it back. I then proceeded downstairs to use the toilets, and took off my engagement ring to wash my hands. Then, I forgot to put the ring back on and proceeded to leave the hotel. An hour later, I realised that my ring was missing, and I had to run back to the hotel. The same cleaning lady who found my perfume, also found my ring, and told me calmly (while I was freaking out) to go to the reception & everything would be alright. Sure enough, she handed in my ring to the reception, and I got it back. Phew, so I'm a total idiot, but if it weren't for the fantastic staff, who knows what would have happened....

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs Jenzee,

I am really glad to read you enjoyed our quality of services and our central location in Brussels.
Fortunately we have found your engagement ring and parfum. It is always a pleasure to be able to help our guests.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back soon at the Sandton Pillows Brussels Hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, and very close to the station approx 15 minute walk if you know where you're going.
Prompt service - just ashamed about the service charge at the end of the stay.
Couldn't fault the washing or sleeping facilities. Little confusing to switch on the electric when you enter. However can't fault this hotel and the services provided. Friendly and polite staff willing to explain surroundings. Would definitely stay in this hotel again!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rushtonc
PeterHesp, General Manager at Sandton Hotel Pillows Brussels, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear rushtonc,

Thank you so much for your very kind words about your stay at Pillows Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our location and staff service. It is our greatest reward that you would stay at our hotel again next time, thank you!
About the service charge at the end of your stay, this is actually a city tax that the hotel has to settle with the city of Brussels. It is a bit higher than in other European cities, as Brussels is the capital of Europe. I am truely happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again at the Pillows Hotel!

Great Missenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Returned last week from a 4 Night stay,find it hard to find fault's.Location was superb 10/15 min walk Grand Place & 10 Min walk to Brussels gare de midi (for Brugges train) From entering the Foyer to our Room (Royal Deluxe Rm 103) the decor & Cleanliness was superb,the Large comfy bed after an early am start travelling was fantastic, breakfast was also very good in a relaxed atmosphere.The staff were Friendly and professional.would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking Fountain (rm 103)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ccj1705,

I would like to express my gratitude for these adorable words you took the time to write about your experience at the Pillows Hotel. I'm delighted to read that our hotel facilities were at your best convenience. I have shared your kind review with the entire team as it comes as a very, very nice reward for all of us!
It would be a pleasure to welcome you on your next visit to Brussels.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very cute but teeny hotel. The reception is only a little work desk, and a long bench for you to sit across from the hotel associate. We have a corner room which is tastefully decorated, clean, and spacious. There is a little patio overlooking courtyard of a restaurant next door. We love listening to the water fountain from the courtyard. Hotel is also walking distance to Grand Place (a grand place indeed), Manneken Pis, and all the touristy areas. On the other side of the street there is a stretch of restaurants. We have our lunches and dinners there. Our breakfast is included in our stay. I certainly love the freshly squeezed orange juice (do-it-yourself) and made to order eggs. Great place to stay if you're visiting Brussels. NOTE: it is walking distance from Midi Station, but quite a drag if you're carrying luggages. I recommend taking a taxi instead (around 8-9 euros).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family