“Very good value for money!”
Review of Hotel Mirabeau

Hotel Mirabeau
Ranked #175 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of April.
This hotel is advertised as a 2*, and I have stayed in far worse 2* hotels than this.
I arrived nervous, having read some reviews telling stories of cat pee smells, and views of garbage chutes and whatnot. However, I arrived and the reception area looked fine, with no cat pee smell. The staff spoke great english and was very helpful. I was given room number 52, and after stepping out of the lift (which was very small and worked after a few button presses), pleasantly suprised - floor 5 looks very nice!

It is worth noting that the lower few flights of steps have not been finished for reasons unknown to me. I also dont know how this reflects on the quality of the rooms on these 2 floors.

My room was small, but had room enough for 2 single beds pushed together (which had no traction on the wooden floor and kept sliding apart), a desk, and a little extra space. The beds themselves were very comfortable, which is the main thing.
The bathroom was modern, however i was missing a flush button thing - i was just left with the bare mechanism, but could still flush it. The sink was also tiny.

Location-wise, you are a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, and less than 5 from le mannekin pis and le grand place, a 45 minute walk from Jubelpark, and about 15 from fancy shops. You are in a really good location in this hotel.

Food-wise, the breakfast is worth every cent of the €3 per person per night I paid. Croissants and pain-au-chocolates, bread and various spreads, cheese,cereals, coffee and an assortment of teas, and orange juice. For lunch and dinner, you are so close to hundreds of restaurants, you can have whatever you want. If you're looking for more familiar food, there is a mcdonalds, pizza hut, or a quick 5 minutes' walk away.

Overall, if you're looking for somewhere cheap, where you only plan on being there late at night to sleep and early in the morning to eat breafast, that is close to brussel's attractions, I could not recommend Hotel Mirabeau enough!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt C
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mirabeau

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I spend here just 1 night time ago . I was really busy, and i had to stay near "gare de brussel" - train station. The stay was ok, quite and personal was also ok.
I came here late evening and stayed in lobby working on my laptop.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Cheapest option when we booked with a hostel booking website, when you take into consideration there was a free breakfast included in the price. You get what you pay for - cheap and cheerful!

The staff were friendly - spoke English perfectly, and even humoured my attempts at French, bless them. They provided a Eng -> EU plug socket converter completely free, which was nice.

Also had a hotel safe behind the reception desk, no charge for that as far as I remember. You'll need to be making use of this as Brussels is pickpocket central.

One morning we came down too late for breakfast and the staff offered us some bread, tea and croissants, - which is more than they were obliged to do.

There is a resident cat, which we thought was lovely. Though we never saw it, just heard it.

Went down for a nap and woke up about midnight on Saturday morning. Headed out and there was plenty of nightlife, shops open, students, bars and restos, offies open, prostitues out. This hotel has a real inner city vibe!

View out the window was a brick wall, with a window that opened wide and had a hefty drop!

Lots of graffiti, narrow stair cases, a fantastically vintage elevator and general signs that make you question, like another reviewr has questioned, whether the hotel was under construction or just falling down.

Loved it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gemnomnom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

it is not a place for people who is looking for fancy & luxury stay. location is good where easy to go to the city centre & there is a metro nearby where is just 3mins walk. Lobby and small eating area are combined & look very simple. Lift is provided but it's very slow. I didn't have a good feeling when I checked-in. However, I felt better when I arrived my room. It's spacious, bright & clean with lovely view. Wifi is very stable everywhere. Breakfast is provided but limited selections i.e. tea, coffee, milk, toast, juicy, jam etc. I would recommend to those who just stay in a hotel & sleep for few hours & stay out for whole day.

1  Thank erin_emily_85
Reviewed 14 October 2013

At 90 Euro's per night, it was appalling. The first night we got stuck in a tiny double room where the door only opened 1/3 before hitting end of bed. But absolutely the worst part - the bathroom overwhelmed with stench of MOLD. The ceiling above shower was covered in black mold and one couldn't stand to remain in there for more than a few minutes. And the window looked out on a dark wall only suitable for emergency escape. After raising the issue of unacceptable health conditions, we were moved to a much better room the next day. But this bathroom also had a plumbing stench emanating from under the tiny sink. And the bracket which holds the shower fixture was broken, so you had to hand-hold your shower. And no shower curtain. We negotiated a discount for the first night, but still consider 90 euro's pretty steep for a site which is actively undergoing renovations for perhaps the next year? And it's not quiet. Poorly installed new doors require considerable force to get them to close properly, which results in slamming doors noise. Breakfast was ok for us. Location was close to old town centre, but on a busy, noisy main street and the area is a bit rough. The lift is tiny, one gets used to it, but the stairs were blocked due to construction (ladders and other debris) making me wonder what would happen in event of fire. Concerned staff tried to help. Consider your budget and quality standards before booking in here! And the main picture on the hotel's website, is of the Grand Place square, NOT of the hotel or its location. BE AWARE before booking this place!

Room Tip: Stay clear of room #33.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tarzmainia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here near the end of our travels round Europe for the past month. Unfortunately the Hotel Mirabeau ranks as our worst hotel visited. On arrival you notice insulation where the ceiling is missing, Is it just falling down or being repaired? but over riding this was the strong smell of cat pee. The decor was old and tatty and chairs were on top of the tables so it looked a bit of a jumble. Not a good first impression.

The guy on reception wins the award for being the most helpful and informative. He really wanted us to enjoy our stay in Brussels , gave us a map and proceeded to point out the best places to go and how to get there. Genuinely helpful.

Now venturing upstairs via a small lift complete with graffetti to floor 4. At this stage I was wondering whether to leave and try and find somewhere else to stay. Open the door and it's new and freshly painted and no cat pee smell. We were in room 42 , all newly painted, 3 large windows overlooking the square. It was a bright airy room with on suite bathroom. The bed seemed clean and was comfortable but the room was not quite clean , looked like it had been cleaned but not properly. The bathroom had half a loo roll holder and the brackets of a shelf but no shelf and In the bedroom the wardrobe had a shelf but the brackets were missing so it sloped at about 45 degrees.

As the room was bearable we decided to stay, venturing down the stairs which were very narrow and looked like they were in the process of being decorated although no work occured while we were there.

Next morning breakfast was very limited and basic with the night reception guy asleep at his desk until the maid came in.

The hotel is located near to the old town, it is buget value but not good enough. The reception , breakfast area, lift and stairs needs completely refurbishing to bring it up to standard. The room needs finishing off and the catering and cleaning need to improve and of course the cat pee needs to go! You can get better hotels for the same or similar price I'd suggest going elswhere until this is upgraded.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tezpil
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a great discovery for me.

It is not for fancy people; but people who want just a place to sleep close to the city center will appreciate the great value.

It is rather for the bagpackers who want the best price with only basics.

We paid 50 € for a small double room.
Internet is good, a small breakfast is included and the location Great - is within 5 min walk from the Grand Palace.

In Brussels it is hard to find a youth hostel for less than 26 €; so I don't want to hear anyone complaining that this hotel has small rooms or that the TV set is not a big plasma.

I highly recommend it.