“Good hotel in a somewhat shady area”
Review of Hotel Belmont

Hotel Belmont
Ranked #168 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Umea, Sweden
“Good hotel in a somewhat shady area”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Staff was very helpful during the entire stay. Rooms are nice, kept clean and very quiet for being in the central areas of Brussels. The area itself is rather shady, with prostitution and crime being ripe on the street outside.

Close proximity to Gare Nord (10 minutes by foot), walking distance to Grand Place (15 minutes) as well. Affordable rooms. Breakfast was okay, but nothing impressive. You can probably score a better breakfast at a café near Grand Place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Very friendly and helpful manager but doesn't make up for the ugly dust in the walls of the room, holes in the blankets and lousy wifi speed (always between 400-800kbps the entire week).
The bathroom was clean and with a good shower.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Perry, Georgia
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Bad smell in the Hobby, rooms below average
Booking service messy landing to a mistake but we landed to be guilty for not picking it up on the confirmation mail.. The resolution of the mistake was messy with suspicious procedures on payment and justification.
Reception staff very aggressive reaching even the level of physical threat.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Soizal
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The best thing about Hotel Belmont was the location. Very central and close to Gare Nord. The rooms were decent sized, we were only there for 4 days so it was fine, the good sized bathroom was clean enough too. Staff were helpful and the rooms were cheap enough, they even gave us print outs of a map of Brussels, on which he marked a few points of interest. free internet was handy too.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Brussels
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Decent, fair priced hotel, well located and with a nice variety of diners and restaurants in the neighborhood. A fast and simple access to free internet is also appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The location near the Brussels North train station and right near the Yser and Rogier Metro stops is very convenient. The reception staff members we dealt with were at times stand-offish (when I went down at night to ask about the Internet problem) and at times friendly and helpful (they printed out some papers for us, and helped with an injury). The room was basically clean and had what we needed for our short stay.

Security was superficial - we were handed the wrong key with no ID check. There was some kind of A/C system but it didn't do anything. The bath was old-fashioned European-style (handheld showerhead facing the room) with no curtain or door. The hair dryer in our bathroom didn't work/soap was almost empty. The fridge was weak. (After commenting on the Internet and being rebuffed, we didn't bother mentioning the other problems to the staff).

The Internet just didn't work half the time. I believe several people have commented on the Internet problem - I was originally told "it's just volume, everyone wants to get online" - but it was 12:30 am. You're telling me that everyone in the hotel wants to get online at 12:30 am? When the night receptionist later became more friendly with me, he admitted that the equipment is about 10 years old and they've had other problems with it. They had called a technician in recently - their regular technician was on vacation, and the substitute technician seemed to fix the problem but only for a day or two. So there we were - no Internet half the time, and major problems to solve a half a world away. This was a big problem for us.

All in all it was an acceptable stay in a basic hotel for 2-3 nights, but we'd probably look for something "better" next time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ouarzazate, Morocco
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Hotel Belmont has two good things going for it. It's a good location, close to Gare Nord/Gare Central. The metro stations Rogier is within walking distance. It's a short walk from the Grand Place, lots of shopping restaurants and all the major spots you want to hit. The other good thing is Umit, the day time manager. He is awesomely helpful, has a great smile and always makes you feel welcome. He goes the extra mile to help. He makes up for the rude, inattentive uncaring other staffers who work in the evenings and on weekends. He also makes up for the poor internet service. Internet was included in the price of the room. But connection is poor or nonexistent in the rooms. Many times I had to go outside the room to get a signal.
When Umit isn't there, the place is crap. There's no one to answer questions or attend to your needs. One night I went for a walk. When I came back, the door was locked for security reasons. It was about 10:30 p.m. I rang the bell and knocked, no one answered. Other guests joined me, knocking the window, door and ringing the bell. When the so-called night manager opened the door 20 minutes later, he was all smiles. When I told him we had been waiting for 20 minutes, he said, "I' m the only one here. I was busy.'' No apologies for keeping us waiting.
When you come downstairs and want to ask a question, the staff is so cold, you don't even want to bother them. Their body language says, "don't bother me.'' They barely look you in the eye. One manager was more interested in watching television than responding to my questions. The 24-hour reception desk does not exist. When we had problem with the internet, the manager on evening duty refused to help. He was all filled with excuses and very unapologetic. The night manager on Saturday seemed a bit engaged with me. I started to have a good feeling about him when he arranged a cab for me, but then he couldn't fix the internet. He told me he, too was out of internet. I told him the hotel was nice, but the ineffective internet connection is a major problem. Several reviewers commented on the problem, but I dismissed their concerns because they stayed at the hotel three years ago. If the problem is still happening in 2012, the management needs to do something about it. The manager also forgot to wake me up, though I requested a wake-up call. But because I didn't trust them, I made a note to myself to set my own alarm to avoid missing my early morning flight.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are fairly quiet. Skip the 10euro breakfast. There are lots of cheap places...