“Weird (in a good way) and wonderful!!”
Review of FunKey Hotel

FunKey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Funkey Hotel for two nights in December. Check in was easy. The lady at reception explained her English was not perfect but she managed very well. The first impression of the hotel was WOW its bright and cheery! My boyfriend booked the hotel, so I hadn't seen any pics before hand!
We stayed in the Monkey room! The room was quiet large and everything had a place. It felt like we were staying in a friends house rather than a hotel.

We were introduced to some new board games which was good fun!! It was interesting being able to help yourself to what was in the fridges. I'm not sure why but I did feel a little guilty for going back for a 2nd beer!

Breakfast was help yourself- this worked out really well and plenty to choose from.

The only small tiny drawback for me, in my opinion, in the common room I felt I had to be on my best behaviour (not that I usually go wild in a hotel)! Similar feeling to when you go to a friends house and their parents are in the next room- you cant fully relax. Not letting my feelings reflect on the staff and management, they were very helpful and friendly with a big smile each time we met them.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SazC1

Reviewed 4 January 2014

PROS:
Great price
All inclusive: parking, snacks, beer, breakfast, juice games...
FUN
Relatively new
Wonderful staff (the owner came out and taught us to play one of the games_
Your room key and front door key is a cell phone that can be used locally

CONS:
None that I can think of... right on the bus line and in a good neighborhood.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fine. There is a narrow spiral staircase with a lot of stairs, so you may need...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here when it was quite new, but there were no teething problems and my stay was fantastic.

Everything really is included in the price; unlimited, continental breakfasts and speedy wifi were my faves. There are also fridges with water, juice and Belgian beer to which guests can help themselves.

The decor is Ikea-based, so comfort is most or less guaranteed.

The hotel is located at the edge of the EU district, which may put some people off, but don't let it put you off! The hotel is VERY easy to reach by public transport. For example, if you are arriving by Thalys or Eurostar, take lines 3 or 4 to Rogier. Get off on the right-hand side, go to the front of the tram and there is an escalator...go up. At the top of the escalator, double-back on yourself and you will see a tram terminus...get on Tram 25. You will need to get off at Bienfaiteurs and walk along Rue Artan...it's about a 5-7 minute walk.

You are assured of a warm welcome from the staff, who are multi-lingual and always helpful

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had an amazing weekend away in Brussels thanks to the FunKey Hotel. Their clever cell phone system not only gets you into the hotel and your room but you have a working cell phone in Belgium during your stay. The staff was helpful with suggestions of what to see/eat and even were kind enough to drive us to the center of Brussels and show us around. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty. In addition, there is a kitchen with food and drinks available 24/7 as well as tablets you can borrow. Couldn't ask for more. Thank you for the memorable hotel experience and we will definitely recommend your hotel with flying colors!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I just made a bold statement in my title, but it's absolutely 100% true. I found this place on the blog cheeseweb.eu and I'm really glad I did. Their advertisement is solely word of mouth marketing, and this concept is working. I could not have asked for a better stay. I had been in touch with the FunKey staff a few months before my actual visit to Brussels, and they really went above and beyond with the customer service. I already knew my stay was going to be excellent, and they somehow exceeded my expectations. My friend and I stayed for two nights in the small room (which is actually quite large!). This place is so cool; it's sort of a hybrid between a hostel and hotel. So if you like the hostel atmosphere but are not in the mood to stay in a dorm, this is the place. The rates are excellent too and not much different than the local hostel rates. The key is a mobile phone. So you actually have your own local mobile to use the entire time (even outside of the hotel). There is a common area with board games and a kitchen that has food out ALL DAY... and it's free! But the absolute best part is the staff. My friend and I were heading out to explore, and the owner, Philippe, asked us if we needed a ride. We were so blown away by his kindness, and he took it one step further and even took the initiative of being our personal tour guide for a bit! What a beautiful experience. To be shown around the city we were visiting, by a local... who happens to be the owner of our hotel! This is a very special hotel, not to be missed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria S
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A total different concept of hotel.
Young staff giving you a warm welcome, functional deco but nice and comfy. The rooms with live colors give a young and easygoing atmophesre. Cleanliness is all around, and spaces are well organized.
You'll find everything you need for a continental breakfast. The free drinks / coffee at the lobby during your stay are of course a +++

Certainly to come back :-)

Best greeting from Barcelona.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have stayed at the Funkey on more than one occasion and will definitely go back. Philippe treats his guests as visitors to his home and his ethos is reflected in the staff members.
Although the location is not ideally very close to a tube station, Philippe himself very often will pick up guests from the station. Also, the staff are happy to arrange taxis at short notices.
The hotel is fresh, clean and just feels like a home away from home!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business