FunKey Hotel
Hotels.com
Made in Louise(Ixelles)
US$116
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsincluding beerfun games to playmonkey roomfree wifi and free parkingsun roomfree snacks and drinksconcept hotelroom keyamazing weekendfun hotelon site parkinginteresting conceptyour disposalgreat wifibus stoptable footballcity centre
Reviewed 11 January 2014

As we entered the lobby of this centrally located hotel,the first thing I noticed was a large bright Rubik portrait of Nelson Mandela, realized by a local artist I was told later. It was for me the omen of a good stay! And the stay was indeed very good. We spent 2 nights in a 2 single bed room, small but extremely comfortable and functional. The shower was brilliant. Everything we saw and touched was clean and operational. We appreciated the unlimited access to breakfast items such as delicious pancakes, cheeses, croissants, cold cuts, yogurt, hot and cold drinks and real espresso coffee! The generosity of the owner seemed to have no limit, he even drove us down town in his own car. Should I go back to Brussels, this is where I will stay. The staff gave us a friendly service and we appreciated the personal touch they put in everything they did for their guests. Board games are the theme of the hotel, they are available in the lobby in a very happy and colorful atmosphere. Did I mention the cell phone cum hotel and room key, which you can also use freely for calls within Belgium. What more can a traveller ask for?All this for 58 Euros per night! Looking forward to the opening of Funkey branches all over the world.

Room Tip: Although I have no complaint about the quietness of the room I had on the street side, next time I will try to get a room overlooking the small garden. It looked charming.
2  Thank Kpaxer
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Staying at FunKey is an entirely new experience. Truly, you don't feel like you're in a hotel - more like you're visiting an old friend. Bright colours ... a reception area like a kids' playroom ... a mural of Nelson Mandela made from Rubik cubes ... a long communal breakfast table with cheerful plastic chairs ... free espresso with real Belgian dark chocolates ... free breakfast all day long and all night too ... and not just drinks and pastries ... refrigerators full of milk, cheese, charcuteries ... a free cellphone for calling numbers in Belgium (which also serves as a door key) ... and above all the immense charm, good humour and hospitality of FunKey's founder Philippe Thibaut ... comfortable bedrooms, clean modern showers, free wi-fi, a safe and pleasant neighbourhood, easily accessible with the bus stop 1 minute's walk from the front door ... great value for such a central location ... all in all, an experience quite out of the ordinary ...

Room Tip: The street is not busy, so any room should be quiet ... if in doubt, ask for the annex at the back ...
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Funkey Hotel for two nights in December. Check in was easy. The lady at reception explained her English was not perfect but she managed very well. The first impression of the hotel was WOW its bright and cheery! My boyfriend booked the hotel, so I hadn't seen any pics before hand!
We stayed in the Monkey room! The room was quiet large and everything had a place. It felt like we were staying in a friends house rather than a hotel.

We were introduced to some new board games which was good fun!! It was interesting being able to help yourself to what was in the fridges. I'm not sure why but I did feel a little guilty for going back for a 2nd beer!

Breakfast was help yourself- this worked out really well and plenty to choose from.

The only small tiny drawback for me, in my opinion, in the common room I felt I had to be on my best behaviour (not that I usually go wild in a hotel)! Similar feeling to when you go to a friends house and their parents are in the next room- you cant fully relax. Not letting my feelings reflect on the staff and management, they were very helpful and friendly with a big smile each time we met them.

1  Thank SazC1
Reviewed 4 January 2014

PROS:
Great price
All inclusive: parking, snacks, beer, breakfast, juice games...
FUN
Relatively new
Wonderful staff (the owner came out and taught us to play one of the games_
Your room key and front door key is a cell phone that can be used locally

CONS:
None that I can think of... right on the bus line and in a good neighborhood.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fine. There is a narrow spiral staircase with a lot of stairs, so you may need a lower floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here when it was quite new, but there were no teething problems and my stay was fantastic.

Everything really is included in the price; unlimited, continental breakfasts and speedy wifi were my faves. There are also fridges with water, juice and Belgian beer to which guests can help themselves.

The decor is Ikea-based, so comfort is most or less guaranteed.

The hotel is located at the edge of the EU district, which may put some people off, but don't let it put you off! The hotel is VERY easy to reach by public transport. For example, if you are arriving by Thalys or Eurostar, take lines 3 or 4 to Rogier. Get off on the right-hand side, go to the front of the tram and there is an escalator...go up. At the top of the escalator, double-back on yourself and you will see a tram terminus...get on Tram 25. You will need to get off at Bienfaiteurs and walk along Rue Artan...it's about a 5-7 minute walk.

You are assured of a warm welcome from the staff, who are multi-lingual and always helpful

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business