“Price, Pain and Pasta..”
Review of La Royale Salle

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Royale Salle
Ranked #3,059 of 3,712 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A group of 10 of us travelled across Western Europe, traveling to 7 countries with 16 dinners and this place was without a doubt the worst establishment in a unanimous verdict.

Upon entry the deal we agreed upon was 6 euros for a meal with a drink. The menu was as extensive as one found in a North Korean gulag. We asked about the quantity of pasta. Where a regular owner would use best judgement to fill a fair sized plate, this owner stated 400g immediately without hesitation... Not realising the true causation and implications of this we walked straight in.

The drinks arrived, watered down Coke and Fanta. I didn't know this happened in the developed world. This was a sign of the meal to come, simply a disgrace. Waiting for our meal we naively predicted some quality, we were wrong. "Ping", the microwave sounded..."oh no...” 5 ready meals came at a time (clearly the only amount which could fit in the microwave at one time). It became apparent how he knew the precise weight he was giving us... it said it on the label.

Cold in parts, boiling in others, he hadn't even mixed the pasta in the ready meal pot; clearly it was too much to ask for it to be stirred after a 600% mark up and sacrificing our health. Now as a business owner you would disguise the inadequate food by placing it on a plate... But he had the audacity to simply place the ready meal pot in front of us.

Upon refusing to pay full price for this cold, cheap and Susan Boyle looking dish he lectured us upon the world and insinuating that because we are students we should be grateful. This meal was about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. His facts were as accurate as photos on Instagram being thought provoking. Misguided, irrelevant and utterly pointless. Stating the city centre lacked quality and value. He was wrong. Saying that as students we should enjoy this, as students we had eaten cheap food all year and could taste the inadequacy of the food placed in front of us. He was rude, abusive and threatened us if we left without paying full price. I would rather blow torch my nipples off than return to his restaurant.

If you do one thing in Brussels, avoid this place like it is the plague.
Since after all, it is not far from it.

1  Thank Edward C
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Looking around Brussels for a cheap meal, we found this restaurant; it had a nice enough interior, with paninis and pasta on offer for 6 Euros. You may assume that you cannot go too wrong with a bolognese or a toasted sandwich, so this seemed like the safe option. Well, you assumed wrong.

What was served in front of us was so bad it was impressive. For me: a microwaved bolognese (still in its ready meal pot) placed on a plate. The pasta was horribly chewy, scalding hot in some places, still cold in others, looked horrible, smelt bad etc. It was essentially offensive to all of my senses bar hearing, though if that pasta could make a noise I bet it would sound horrible too. I tried to cover all of this with gratutitous amounts of parmesan, but it wasn't enough to hide the awfulness. I am amazed by the fact that this man, whose job is to cook and serve food, cannot correctly microwave a ready meal. I feel like a fool for thinking we might've actually have pasta boiled for us. Across the table, my friends had what was described as a chicken panini, but appeared to be brownish sludge, and a mozzarella sandwich which was essentially just bread (we all agreed this was the best pick of the meals available).

When we told the owner we weren't happy with the meal and didn't want to pay full price he demanded we paid in full, and told us that pasta anywhere else in Brussels would cost us 20 euros. This turned out to be a flat out lie, as the next day we had a 3 course meal with 2 beers and incredible service for 12 euros each in the centre of the city.

There is some consolation- following this experience we didn't try to cheap out on restaurants for the rest of the trip and found some excellent places to eat from then on, and of course, the meal was so monumentally bad that we could get a few laughs out of it afterwards.

To conclude: if you want a cheap meal, buy a sandwich at a supermarket; if you want a decent meal, go to the city centre where there many reasonably priced restaurants with legitimate, edible food; if you want badly microwaved pasta at extortionate prices, then this is the place to go.

2  Thank GKimbell
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We went into this place expecting a reasonable cheap evening meal. We were offered a selection of paninis and pastas. The first clue that this place would be terrible came when the owner told us he was out if most of the food we ordered. When they arrived at the table the tesco value style pasta ready meals were still in their pots and hadn't been properly microwaved however the label had been removed to protect their identity. I've just finished my first year at university and have had better food than this everyday. The panini was allegedly chicken but resembled vomit in some bread. When we told the owner we weren't going to pay the full price due to the poor standard he argued with us saying that we had to pay in full. Don't be fooled by the fairly nice interior and atmosphere, I would rather eat dinner in a Vietnamise prison
than here again. If I could award 0 out if 5 I would. Only rewarding feature was the music channel on the television however we suspect it was being streamed from the Internet.

4  Thank Jwstringy