“Great location budget hotel”
Review of The Moon Hotel

The Moon Hotel
Ranked #134 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Alexandria, Egypt
“Great location budget hotel”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights beginning of April, the location of the hotel is just great,200 meters from Central Station, 50 meters from Grand Place and the hotel itself is in a big square full of action day and night.
The price was around 70 Euros per night which is a real bargain if you know that next door hotels IBIS, Novotel and Best western are not less than 150 euros per night, plus the room has a private bathroom which was not easy to find in a budget hotel in Brussels.
Also the price is including breakfast and internet which also being charged in Brussels!!
My first shock was that the room is in the back of the hotel and have no view , just a window on the back of next door restaurant kitchen, I asked them to change the room but they said the hotel is fully booked, and also told me that my room is larger than rooms on front side, so you would trade something for another.
The room was suitable for a single person, very basic amenities, or less than basic, they use blankets instead of quilts which is a bit wired, the bathroom was OK, but it has a bathmat that was not changed may be for a month or so!
The hotel staff were OK, but I did not get too much contact with them.
The room had a TV and good internet connection.
The breakfast was exactly some cheese, bread, croissant, cereal , coffee, tea and orange juice, it is just fair to be free, but again remember most hotels in Brussels charge for breakfast.
Any way, the hotel is suitable for one or two nights if you just need a bed, but don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel with no view has the number 5, so 15, 25, 35 etc., if yopu want a vie...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We've spent 2 nights last week at this hotel. The room was small, but clean. The same with the bathroom. The location is ideal. We didn't want breakfast in the hotel, we went out to enjoy in one of many small bars and restaurants around the hotel. We sat in the morning sun, sipping our morning coffee and waffles and watching passers-by. The Grand Place, the Central Station, the shopping area, 'Hop-on Hop-off' terminal - all 2 minutes away.
Great location, can't expect more for that money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Duke952
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We just came back from staying at this hotel. We thankfully printed a map off to find the location which was in the centre of some restaurants and just off the Grand Place. We were pleasantly surprised by how good the location was! It meant we could go out exploring in the evening and not feel like we had a long and unsafe journey back to find our hotel. The check in was easy and quick. Room was the size of a bedroom, no thrills and a small bathroom. It was clean and the hot water worked. The room was very cold, but once we worked out how to use the heating in the bedroom it was much better. Luckily we were very tired as it was quite noisy at nighttime with the restaurants clearing their tables and putting them away overnight. The breakfast was basic and basically 1 croissant and 1 pain au chocolat per person as we went down at 8.30 and that was only what was left. Hope no one else went down after us as it didn't seem like there were any staff to do top ups. All in all, great location, but very basic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tory88
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This place is a great location to the train station and central square. I printed off google maps directions which took me the wrong way (no fault of the hotel, but I was lost for a while) once I asked the third person for directions (most people haven't heard of it, but knew of the street) I finally got to where I needed to be. I had read the previous reiews that there was no lift so I knew I would be hauling my bag up several stairs. I was very surprised to check in earlier than expected because my fight was early and they told me my room was ready I could check in. Major bonus points for that. I took a little nap before I went sight seeing. Although I was by myself they were outof single rooms so I took a room with 2 beds, had to pay a little more for it but it was worth it to be that close to the center of the city. Room was very basic, 2 beds, table and chairs, tv that I don't think worked but I wasn't there to watch tv so that didn't bother me. It had a little closet to hang up clothes and a bathroom in the room with sink, toilet and shower. I had read reviews prior stating that shower was small and it is but thats pretty typical fo Europe. The door did not have a lock on the inside so I put the chair in front of the door at night. My window faced the street and it was a bit noisy with the resturant right down stairs but I was so tired I slept through it. It was also very loud with the wind at night, but again that is not something they can really control. Overall the room was clean and great location and I would stay there again for those reasons.

Room Tip: I would think a room to the opposite side (not street side) might be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed 12 February 2014

If you are looking for a clean and best located room, don't want to spend too much and do not expect luxury or great comfort, this is just your place. Clean rooms, nice bath with hot water. 1m walking to the Grand Place, 5 min walking from the Gare Centrale, just next to the Galeries Royales St Hubert. Better located is hard to find. Very friendly personnel, basic small rooms, clean and quiet (I took a room to the backyard). Steep stairs. The breakfast room is tiny, the breakfast can be improved but OK. Very recommended. I will visit again with pleasure!

Room Tip: Better you ask for a room on the back side. On the weekends there can be a lot of noise until late n...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Made a booking via an on line site to stay here 2 nights the night before arrival.

The following afternoon I made a call to confirm the boking due to the poor reviews for this hotel and was greeted with "No, No booking" and the boss isn't here and that he only checks bookings in the morning , was gone for the day. So I tried to cancel and was informed it would cost me and the whole experience was nothing short of rude,, then to add insult to injury I receives some very rude emails from the owner the following day .. best avoided if they cant get booking together !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HotelTheMoon, Manager at The Moon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
This is a totally false. Wow!!

You made a booking via Hostelworld.com on the 4th of February. The booking was confirmed.and you received a confirmation by mail. A confirmation email is sent after each booking.

You called us on the day of arrival, mid afternoon, to CANCEL and not to confirm the booking as you are claiming here. ( I have emails to prove it that I can happily share with tripadvisor!) We told you that you will be charged for one night as you are canceling late! You read and accepted the cancellation policy before making the booking so why all the fuss?

At no point during the phone call, we said anything rude to you. We had no reason to be.

It is you who got 'pissed' because you had to pay for late cancellation. It seems that you have never traveled abroad Ireland. It is also you that threatened us in emails to take the issue further (or is that it? your mighty review?), it is also you who recorded our phone conversation (illegally mind you) and you are not using the recording to back you up because it is all made up lies.

The hotel has poor reviews? So why did you book it? 81% overall score on Hostelworld.com is hardly poor.

Nothing more to add. You wasted my time but I had to respond

M
Manager

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel is loctaed in the best location : 1 step from the Grand Place, 2 steps from Gare Central, couldn't be better. It is a small - actually, tiny - hotel, very warm welcoming.
All we were looking for was a reasonably priced hotel at the center, since we left the hotel at 8 am every morning and got back at 10 pm.

ROOMS - clean and basic, clean and tidy. Towels are changed every day, hot water in the shower, lots of strage room. Although our room faced the front we had no noise troubles.

BREAKFAST - included coofe, tea, croissants and other freash pastries, bread (white and whole), butter and jam, cerials. Just enought to hang on until your first Waffle ;-)

RECEPTION - actually it is a dest located at the stairway, very helpful staff with warm atmosphere.

WiFi - best signal is in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Place Agora have a typical european view, loved it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends