“Low Budget hotel”

Ranked #100 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Williston Park, New York
“Low Budget hotel”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here in December by myself. I booked a special rate through their website but was unaware that meant I would a dark dingy little room. I was on the first floor in room 103 but the way the room was decorated made me feel like I was in the basement. The brown theme of the rooms looks like its from the 70's. I was also given a single bed after requesting a double bed (I am 6'5) and they would not change my room unless I paid more money. The walls were very thin and every time someone walked by in the hall it made my door move which made me think someone was trying to get in. Also the heat is only controlled by the front desk so if you want it on of off or adjusted you can to call them every time. The wifi is 5 euros a day which is absurd in 2013 especially since it is free in the lobby and you can pick it up from your room if you are on a low floor. I also had a friend come visit me (at 3 in the afternoon) and he was questioned by the front desk and asked repeatedly if he was spending the night and what was the purpose of his visit. They then demanded a copy of his ID to make a copy for their records. That made me really angry. I would never even consider staying here again, there are better places that give you more for the "low price".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Mathieu J, Responsable commercial at Alma Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Rcmc85,

Thank you for sharing your concern while staying at Alma Hotel Grand Place.

We do regret the hotel doesn’t meet your expectation, especially regarding the our room.

Rest assured that your comments have been taken into consideration and has already been forwarded to the department head concerned for a corrective action.

Sincerely yours,

Mathieu JACOB
Sales & Marketing Department.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights in December. Location is fantastic - closes proximity to Centraal Station, just 5 minute walk. Is right next to Grand Place, which was great to visiting the Christmas markets. Negatives were that you have to pay for internet, and breakfast, and the room was extremely hot (not heating control in room - you need to call the front desk). Also did not like he requirement to hand in key when going out for the day, with no ID checks before returning key. Worried me from a security perspective. Would stay again, and recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Mathieu J, Responsable commercial at Alma Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Helief,

I thank you for your comment.

It is always a pleasure to read a comment like your.

Please note that we'll take into consideration your remarks in order to improve us in the future.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mathieu JACOB
Sales & Marketing Department.
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Room at street side 2 nd floor. Desk staff at time of check in not friendly Clean and nice hotel, but bars all around. Loud people ALL night long including drunks and police until after 7 AM going up and down the street

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Staffordshire
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed at the Alma for two nights whilst on a business trip It was clean and friendly hotel with a unique way of purchasing drinks and snacks which was to have a card stamped when you bought something this was then totted up on check out, a very trusting style!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Mathieu J, Responsable commercial at Alma Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your review. it's so pleasant to read comments like yours ! The Alma Hotel Team thank you for your stay !

See you soon in Brussels !

Marketing Department
Dublin
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was in Brussels for 3 days and this time needed to stay very central. I had read the reviews and felt this hotel would suffice for my requirements. I arrived early and was able to leave my bag in storage until check-in. The receptionists throughout my visit were excellent and helpful. When I checked in I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It was large, clean and very, very functional. The bed was comfortable and the en-suite was spotless. For the price and location I cannot fault this hotel. As my return flight wasn't until the evening they kindly stored my bag until it was time for me to go to the airport. I thought I had found the best in Brussels for service and value but this hotel ranks just as good. Room internet access is available at €5 per day and is well worth paying for.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are probably quieter. I was in room 302
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JG H
Dear Traveller,

We thank you very much for this beautiful review! We will share your message with the team, its the best encouragement they can have !

See you !

Marketing Department
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It's billed as a budget hotel but it is by no means basic. My room was spacious and the bathroom was excellent. The decor was fresh and modern and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The self-service cafe is inexpensive with good coffee for just €1.
The location is perfect. Less than a minute walk from Grand-Place/Grote Markt and only 5 mins walk from Central Station. There are lots of bars, restaurants and shops only a few steps from the hotel. I can't recommend this hotel enough. Book and pay early to get the best deals.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ALMA HOTEL. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Sincerely.

Marketing Department.
Sophia Antipolis, France
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Alma appears to be well located, in the center of Brussels, only a short walk from the main square or the Manneken - pis. Charming receptionist in the afternoon and the room, if not great, is comfortable and clean. So what's the problem? The problem is that I come to a hotel to sleep and that street noise of drunken youths, yelling or fighting prevented me from resting and sleeping. Following the first night, I came down to reception and asked to switch to a room on the back side of the hotel. To no avail! the stubborn morning receptionnist refused repeatedly despite the fact that numerous guests were checking out that morning. On the second night, same story. I called repeatedly the receptionist. "the police is coming" . . . but it did not. And the receptionist "feared for his safety" and did not want to step out and ask people to quiet down. Too bad. I can't recommand this hotel and I won't be back here.

Room Tip: back side of the hotel if you want to sleep
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business