“You couldn’t get more central than this!”
Review of Alma Hotel

Alma Hotel
Ranked #99 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Melbourne, Australia
“You couldn’t get more central than this!”
Reviewed 29 December 2008

I couldn’t believe the price we paid 192 Euros for 5 of us! It was so cheap for such a central, clean, and beautifully presented hotel!
We walked very easily from the station to the hotel. Check in was a breeze. The hotel has been refurbished to a minimalistic modern style. Bathroom was great – although didn’t have a window. Beds were comfortable. We could see some of the spires from the grand place from our room! Breakfast is a bit pricey, I’d suggest going to Café Moka, where you get a baguette, coffee, jam, cheese, croissant and OJ, for about 6 Euros. Or getting crepes or waffles and coffee elsewhere!
Everything is a stones throw from here – just avoid the Rue Des Bouchiers (a tourist trap). Try other places… Vincent’s restaurant was excellent!
I don’t think this hotel offers much in the way of other facilities – ie: business facilities, gym, pool - I wasn’t looking for them as part of my trip, but as a tourist, just looking for a bed and a clean room, this is fantastic value!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Depended who was on the front desk as to the level of service received.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We booked this hotel for one night on a travel website. We paid about 77 euro a night. During our trip, my husband and I stayed in 9 different European cities and over 12 diferent hotels. Of the 12 hotels, Alma Grande Place Hotel was about the cheapest, but was definitely one of the nicest.

Our room had a king bed with a private washroom (stand up shower, toilet, and sink). There was a TV in the room, but only a few English channels. There was also a safe and a vanity in the room. The hotel appeared to be newly renovated, and it was quite chic. Internet was available for a small fee. Overall, we were pleased with the room.

Included in the price of our room was breakfast. It was a typical European breakfast including various coldcuts, buns, eggs, juice, etc.

The location of the hotel was good, although we had some initial difficulty finding the place. It is about a 5 minute walk from the train station, and is well within walking distance of all attractions.

We found the desk staff to be quite helpful and provided maps and opinions as to where tourists would want to visit.

Overall, we loved this hotel and would go back again if we were in Brussels!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 11 November 2008

This a good budget hotel in an excellent location.The room was spacious and simply furnished as was the bathroom.Both were spotless.Breakfast was adequate but at only €8 it was good value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
New York City, NY
Reviewed 24 September 2008

This hotel is in a good location and close to many shops and restaurants but there were several things that were plain unimpressive.

One - the front desk people were so indifferent and bordered on rude. While they do speak English, they seemed very disinterested in helping us with any questions we had. We asked how we can get from the hotel to the Midi train station and one person said - don't worry - we will be able to call you a cab, just come down in the morning and we can get you one then. Another one said - the Centrale station is just a few steps away - just take the train to Midi. We asked how early the trains run and he evaded the question. entirely. But when I said that we had missed the train coming from London to Brussels due to the fire in the tunnel, he said rudely that I was exaggerating!! I was taken aback by his brazen attitude. Anyway, the next morning, we went downstairs at 5.30am and a third front desk person said to catch the train - I asked AGAIN if they knew if trains ran at 5.30am and he said yes. Turns out that the trains only start running at 6am from Centrale and we had no way of knowing when they start to Midi. So we had to hail a cab which wasn't a big deal but it cost us 13 Euros. Again something we could have avoided -personally at myself for not having done the research ahead of time and relying on the customer service of the hotel!!

Two - the rooms are OK. They are spacious for European standards but our room stank of stale cigarette smell and we were on a non-smoking floor! I could hardly BREATHE. And there was construction right across our room so we didn't really want to stay in the room during the day.

Three - they charge 8 Euros for breakfast per person!! Why would anyone want to do that when they can walk down the street and have phenomenal Belgian waffles and coffee! So not worth it in my opinion!

Again, its an OK hotel - convenient to all the fun things to do in Brussels but just not that impressed with the service and the room.

• Liked — Proximity to shops, restaurants, culture
  • Disliked — the front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Windsor, UK
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Having read many positive reviews of the Alma Hotel on Trip Advisor, I decided to book 2 rooms for 2 nights for myself, my parents, and my 2 children (4&2 years old). I booked directly with the website with their "cash & sleep" program, which gives you a very good price, but you will not get a refund for any reason. Fair enough, we had no reason to think we'd need to cancel.

Upon arrival, I'd not spoken more than 10 words to the man in reception, then he answered his personal mobile phone, and proceeded to have a 10 minute phone call, while I sat there waiting.
Totally unprofessional and I told him that had I not paid already, I would've at that moment left and stayed elsewhere.

Our rooms were above average in size, and quite clean. They have satellite tv which receives in excess of 300+ channels- so something for everyone in many languages. (there were Dutch, French, English, and German channels that I remember) The rooms have complimentary safes which are big enough to hold a large-ish laptop, and air conditioning.

When we went back downstairs, I decided to pay cash for their wireless internet. It costs 15 Euros for 1 day, or 30 Euros for 3 days. As we would be staying about 2 1/2 days, I did the 3 day deal. Supposedly this should be a no brainer as I use Wifi at home, at my parents house, and at various other places I've been to. Well, the system wouldn't accept my username and password. Even someone working the reception came to my room and we together could not get it to accept the username and password. He then assured me that if it still would not work the next day, I would get a refund. The next day I was given a new username & password with the assurances that all had been checked and should work. It didn't. As we were all leaving again in the afternoon I mentioned to the front desk that the wifi still wasn't working, and I would like my money back. He then responded that there wasn't a refund, because the wireless was charged by a third company. Like, so what? I paid the hotel, not this 3rd party! He then went on to explain that this was obviously a problem with my computer (!) and therefore not their problem. Not willing to let go of 30 Euros for something I was unable to use, we got into a pretty heated argument about me getting my refund. Basically what really irritated me was the attitude of the man in reception- that this was my problem, too bad for me, etc. Finally he got a supervisor on the phone who was able to secure my refund.

Having these sort of encounters with people who should be professional just spoiled what may have otherwise been a pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2008
Hemel Hempstead, England
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Hotel Alma is just a short walk from Brussels Centraal station, taking about 5 minutes. We stayed 3 nights, which gave us the opportunity to explore the Grand Place, local musems and art galleries.

The hotel is located down a narrow street consisting of restaurants, tourist and clothes shops. In contrast to the surrounding buildings Hotel Alma is a modern building, but sits sympathetically with its neighbours.

On arrival the staff were professional and friendly, speaking both French and English. We were offered a choice of rooms, a split level room immediately available, or a standard room when cleaned. This wasn't a problem for us because we arrived before the 3pm check in time and decided to opt for the split level room. However, on reflection this was probably the wrong choice.

The lower level of the room comprised of the bathroom, wardrobe containing the safe, and a writing desk. Steep stairs lead to the sleeping area containing a standard double bed, small screened TV, footstool and round coffee table.

At this stage we were happy with the hotel's facilities, and the room's split level gave an ordinary hotel room a bit of interest. However, we wouldn't recommend this room because it was impossible to climb the stairs without making contact with the sand rendered wall which would scratch or snag anything rubbed against it. The bed was in good firm condition, but only 2 small pillows between 2 is a bit limited.

A standard continental breakfast was served between 7 and 10am. Vouchers for breakfast could be purchased from reception beforehand. The only issue we had with the breakfast was the stale coffee served in thermos flasks. It would have been better if the coffee was made fresh when the guests arrived for breakfast.

The problems with the hotel were more small in nature and had no impact on the wonderful time we had in Brussels.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The sand rendered walls
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Milan
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We stayed for 4 nights at Alma Hotel and were perfectly happy with our choice.

Great location (few steps from Grand Place), nicely decorated room (with a kind of darkish orange-brown Paul Smith inspired carpet) and squeaky clean bathroom.
The property has been redone a few years ago and all the furnishings are still in pristine condition.

We did not take any breakfast there (it's plus 8€ each) but had plenty of choice of nice bars and eateries in the neighborhood.

Minor negative notes are the pay per use WIFI connection (5 euro for 30 minutes - something to be ashamed of in 2008!) and the unflexible check out policy (we had asked for a half and hour late chack-out extension but they refused to let us stay even if our room had not been rebooked for the day). The hotel offers a free baggage room though.

For a great (and inexpensive) lunch/dinner the surroundings don't be folled into the Rue Boucherie tourist traps! Check out instead the Arcadi Bistrot at the end of the Galerie Hubertus (unbelievable cakes, well done belgian staples, quick and friendly service and a wonderful bistrot atmosphere) .

• Liked — location and room design
  • Disliked — outrageously expensive wifi connection
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple