“Excellent! great view, big room, great location!”
Review of Alma Hotel

Alma Hotel
Ranked #98 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Regina, Canada
“Excellent! great view, big room, great location!”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Well i loved this place and i would ask for 406! the view from there overlooking the grand palace was beautiful!! the room was really big especially for european standards... the fact that walking to the grand place is just over a block is fantastic not much else i could have asked for!
i would go back here in a heart beat! it was quite cheap, great location, amazing views if on the top floors... and very comfortable recently updated i think...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Helsinki
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We got stuck in Brussels on our way to Amsterdam. The trains were cancelled because of the snow and we needed a place to stay for one night somewhere near the railway station. Hotel Alma met our need perfectly: just couple of minutes walk from the station, good walk-in rate (68 euros for one night) and very close to restaurants and attractions like La Grande Place and Manneken Pis.

The lady at the reception didn’t speak much of English but was kind and helpful. Our large twin room had high ceiling, tasteful decoration and comfortable beds. The bathroom was big and clean. The room was a bit cold, but the heating was turned up as soon as we called the reception. There was some noise outside, but we stayed in the 4th floor and I’m not sensitive to noise, so that didn’t bother me at all.

Actually the only minus was the Internet – there was only one (rather crappy) computer with (rather slow) Internet, and you had to pay 2,50 for 30 minutes. Otherwise we were very satisfied and I would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank neitsytmaria
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I stayed 1 night at Alma Hotel. The room rate is pretty cheap 63 Euro, while another hotels in Brussels Central were expensive. Internet is not included in the price, and we had to pay 10 Euro for one day. Also breakfast not included. But, for backpacker like us, we did not need breakfast, because we had some bread and cookies. The location is right near Grand Place and 1 minute walking to Brussel Central Station and it's easy to get food as well. The staff were also nice and helpful. LOCATION is one of consideration to choose Alma Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel as a single woman, meeting up with some old colleagues in Brussels. I booked this hotel through Booking.com and thought everything would be alright. Except the fact that one of the male staff was 'over friendly' the stay was ok. However, a few days after leaving I discover that the overfriendly member of staff who had checked me in, had stolen my details and used for private use.

This is extremely distressing and unnerving!!! Knowing that some crazy man has all my details to do whatever he wants to do with!

After discovering this I tried to get hold of management which proved to be a challenge. Management did everything in order not to talk to me and got their sales staff to call me instead. After numerous calls I finally got to speak to the manager who apologised and said he would give me all the details of the member of staff should I want to report this to the police. Except that, there was nothing he could do as his member of staff was using my details in his own private time and not when working in the hotel???!!!!

In the meantime, Booking.com informs me that they will handle this issue. After not hearing from them for several days I contact them only to get a standard letter of reply that 'they understand my frustration but will not tale this matter further'. Which, is breach of every data policy they have on their website.

So the cheap prices of this hotel chain in Brussels (Hotel Alma, Hotel Astrid, Hotel Max, Hotel Aris) is definitely not worth having your details stolen. In addition, Booking.com will never help you should anything happen.

For both the hotel and booking service it is an absolute nightmare to get any response from them if you do not keep on asking.

Simply do not use any of them!!!

WARNING!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Moi77777

Travellers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 December 2010

We got stuck in Brussels due to the fact that our train was cancelled because of a snowstorm and we had to find accommodation quickly. Hotel Alma was within 5 min walking distance of the Brussels Centraal and Grand Place. We got a great walk-in rate of 68€ for a twin room. Breakfast was offered for a price of 12€ per person, but we didn't take it, so I cannot comment on its quality. There are many places nearby to have breakfast in.

The room was large and had a large bathroom. Everything was spotless and there was a selection of toiletries in the bathroom (shampoo, shower gel, comb, shower cap). You cannot adjust the heating yourself, but you have to call or visit the reception and ask them to do it. We called and the heating was turned up immediately. Extra blankets and pillows were also available in the reception.

There was some noise outside as could be expected from a central location, but not excessively so. You also had to pay to use wi-fi as well if you wanted to use the internet at the only computer in the lobby.

All in all we found this hotel to be perfectly good for the price.

1 Thank postikortti
London UK
Reviewed 25 November 2010

I recently stayed in this hotel on business. For a hotel that dedicates part of its (rather slick) website to corporate travel and meetings, it was surprisingly poor at dealing with business travellers. When I called the day before to confirm my booking and request an invoice or to pay by the company credit card, the lady on reception thought it over and then said 'nah, I'm too busy'.

My colleague was greeted with a toilet that had not been cleaned (or flushed) from the last guest's use and my bathroom had left over (by which I mean, opened and crusty) toiletries in the shower. Nice.

The hotel website says: "all rooms are equipped with air conditioning system and a Wi-Fi." Funny they would mention that as:

The rooms were too hot and there was no temperature control within them. I asked at reception for the temperature to be lowered, but it was never done. I had to leave the window open all night, and was woken up about once an hour thanks to the noises you would expecct from a city centre.

Wifi is not free in the hotel. It actually very, very expensive. 2.50euros for 30 minutes?

The breakfast consisted of breadrolls you could use as door knockers and the average ham, cheese, cereal etc. All very meagre and disappointing. We overheard a staff member berating another guest for having a cup of coffee and a breadroll, the price of which 'was not included in the price of his room'. So that price is, what exactly? Could not have topped 1euro. Frankly, she should have been flattered he was drinking the stuff.

All in all, we found the staff rude and the rooms (though quite large) fairly uncomfortable and, in our experience, unclean.

The location is very central, but then so are all the other hotels in the centre! Beware.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2010

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we were very pleased with the location and the very close proximity to the Grand Place. The rooms are clean and much larger than hotel rooms in most cities. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the city. I found the staff to be pleasant.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple