“Budget Boutique at reasonable rates”
Review of Motel One

Motel One
Ranked #26 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Budget Boutique at reasonable rates”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We flew in to South Charleroi which is 1 hour bus drive from Brussels and leaves you in Midi train station. You take the metro from there to central and its a 2 minute walk from here.

Top Tip - if you are in brussels for a few days buy a multi day tram/metro pass. Saves a lot of money.

The hotel is very new in Brussels. Reception desk looks very stylish and the reception team were very informative about what to do in brussels and how to get around. The check in was painless. You pay when you check in with Motel One. There policy. Makes the check out much quicker.

This is not the first Motel One we have stayed in and the room was almost identical to the others in Germany. Clean, comfy beds, nice flat screen tv which is always switched on with fish in the summer and a roaring fire in the winter. Nice touch. The decor is fresh and new. Bathroom is very modern. Monsoon style shower. Love it. Toiletries provided and topped up everyday. Room cleaned every day.

The price for the hotel is very reasonable for the central locations in European cities. Only internal phones in the rooms in this hotel - but who needs them. We all have mobiles and are much cheaper than hotel phones.

Breakfast was excellent. Its a busy hotel but the cold buffet was being topped up and refreshed constantly while we were there. You only get a cold buffet. But you eat as much as you like and its self service - just what I prefer. 2/3 lattes to get you started in the morning without any fuss.

They even have their own 'Zen Zone' as I call it. The centre of the hotel has its own little grassy area with decking. Lots of nice seats to relax in the morning or evening with a drink from the hotel bar.

I would recommend this hotel to people going on holiday or business guests.

Room Tip: Quiet area in Brussels. All rooms would be quiet and all rooms are similar.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank globaltrott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a new, contemporary hotel with no frills. For example, there is no fridge. However, with its great central location, huge hotel but great interior terrasse with lots of sofa and deck chair space, this feels like home. The breakfast is not fancy, and they don't pretend like a luxurous hotel, but for the price (7,50 E), honestly, the coffee made by machine was fine and the quality of croissant was impressive (and I live in Paris!).
I was afraid that the walls may be too thin but it was not to worry. The mattress was very firm, just like how I like it to be. Rooms was very small but still tastefully decorated and functional. Oveall a good value for money for this expensive city. I would definitelyl return.
Oh just one thing. The reception staff that dealt with me did not speak French, which was strange being in Brussels, but I guess that's a price you have to pay (on our side) so that the hotel caters to international clientele.

Room Tip: I asked that I'd be on the garden side. It was nice and calm.
2 Thank Tom_B_Paris
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were so glad we chose Motel One over others of similar prices. The location is fab, a short walk to many landmarks and attractions including Grand Place. We walked everywhere during our short stay. The hotel is on Rue Royale near the palace and a lovely park. To the other side is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and further down the botanical gardens. On arriving at the hotel we were taken aback by the decor. After being there a couple of days and using the lobby ypu can tell that the furniture and decoration is high quality. We were also struck by the staff there who were exceptional. Everyone we dealt with was extremely friendly and polite. We ate breakfast at the hotel both mornings. It's 7.50eur pp and a help yourself buffet style. We're lovers of continental breakfasts so were very happy choosing from meats, cheeses, cereals, croissants and fresh bread though of British travellers may prefer some hot options! Onto the the room; yes it's small but it was just perfect for our short stay. We liked the nice bathroom and large windows overlooking the street. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of television channels but we didn't spend much time in the room and when we did, we watched BBC news (in English). A few points that the hotel could take on board to improve: the duvets were odd! We had a double bed but were given two single duvets which was a bit awkward! Also there aren't many coat hangers to hang clothes (just 3), a couple more would have been appreciated. All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Motel One and would highly recommend it for a short stay in Brussels.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank katieafox
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just opened in April... I stayed there 5 days/nights, from te 8th till the 13th June 2014. There are a few improvements to make (Air Conditioned did not work properly...) but the location (perfect both for tourism and for business - Metro is 3min away and EU institutions 15 min walk, 5 min by bike...), the design, the simpathy and the courtyard where one can have a delicious breakfast... for a very good money for value according to Brussels standars... Makes it deserv a strong "very good"

Room Tip: Rooms not int he 7th floor (quite hot...) :-)
2 Thank luis o mago
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Newly opended, immaculately clean hotel with a fantastic outdoor terrace and perfect service. Front desk was extremely helpful with everything, starting from room arrangements through dinner reservations and advice.

Paris, France
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nice place in Brussel, but a room it's very small, not mini bar, not place for a lagages, a breakfast it's similaire to factory, and a view back it's horrible. No restaurant and no swiming pool.Near to the great garden and the art school.

Lisbon
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Motel One for two nights (9 to 11th of june 2014) in room 481. I chose this hotel based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking and based on its location, not far from the Grand Place and walking distance to the venue I was going to attend, either walking or by public transportation. My expectations were adequately met. This seemed to be essentially a hotel that caters to the business traveler, might be adequate for couples or a pair of friends on a short break to Brussels.
Things I disliked:
- the choice of TV channels is poor. As you enter the room, the TV automatically turns on and greats you with a relaxing music and a video of...fish in an aquarium! Turns out this is the most interesting program available. If you want to see more than news or business channels and you don't speak German or Dutch, then you're stuck with the fish. I didn't understand why there should be Russia Today in English and Spanish, for example, and not even a film channel in English. C'mon guys, even business people need to relax!
- the room has large windows (nice), fully transparent. In many rooms, and for some people, this may be a concern. My room, for example, and many more like it, were facing the nice internal courtyard. Since this has sort of a round shape, I could clearly see what was going on in the other rooms (I suppose others could see into my room too). Of course, you can always pull the curtains, but they are heavy, warm curtains, which in hot days as the ones I got, not only makes the room unnecessarily dark (when it's beautiful sunshine outside) but also puts extra pressure on the air conditioning. As I said, this is a concern if privacy is a big issue for you; I could see this was not a problem for some of my neighbours...

Things I liked (to end on a positive note):
I'm happy to say that the things I liked more than surpass the rest.
- Décor: really, really beautiful, turning a large hotel such as this almost into a boutique design hotel.
- Room: very comfortable, impeccably clean. However, you may find it small if you bring a large suitcase.
- Soundproofing: absolutely spot on! I couldn't hear a thing around me. Brilliant!
- Breakfast: simple, but effective, pretty much a self-service affair, loved the slightly warm bread that seemed straight from the bakery.
- Location: Excellent! It's about 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place area, a bit less to Central Station, 20 minutes to the Schumann area, where my meeting was taking place. I chose to walk every day, but the Park metro station is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel and no need to change until Schumann. The hotel area is quite safe, so no problems in walking around at night.
- WiFi: hassle free access, strong signal, perfect.

I payed € 182 for two nights (single occupancy), including breakfast and taxes, which is not bad at all, for Brussels and considering what the hotel has to offer. This is definitely a place where I'll stay again on future trips to Brussels and I recommend it to those who travel to Brussels for business or for a short break. Just remember to travel light and...to keep ALL clothes on while in the room...

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business