“Beautiful Building with Great Service”
Review of La Maison du Cygne

La Maison du Cygne
Ranked #1,050 of 3,579 Restaurants in Brussels
Price range: US$28 - US$67
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: - - We inform you that your restaurant La Maison du Cygne will be closed for an indefinite period. All the team of La Maison du Cygne thanks you for your trust and hope to welcome you very soon again ! - - La Maison du Cygne restaurant in Brussels: grand dining on the Grand Place. When you enter this exquisite 17th century mansion in the heart of Brussels' most famous square, you enter a world of refinement and harmony. The building was once the home of the Butchers Guild and where captains of industry and high-flyers now dine, Karl Marx once drafted his manifesto. That's the sort of surreal fact Belgians delight in. The décor is grande dame traditional, with velvet banquettes, ornate paneling and woodwork, fine art paintings, white napery, fine china and crystal, and lovely views over the square. The carte is haute traditional with innovative nuances, under the creative touch of award-winning chef Donald Loriaux. Dishes include starter of waterzooi de homard, a local soup speciality, main course of tournedos with green peppercorns. The monumental wine cellar sets the standard.
“Beautiful Building with Great Service”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

La Maison du Cygne is a must visit while in Brussels. My first visit was last September during a business meeting with 12 colleagues and 15 clients. My local colleague asked me to trust him with the restaurant selection. I am so glad I did. One of my clients emailed me last week to get the name of the restaurant. He is planning a trip with his wife and wants her to enjoy the same experience he did last September. First class service and exceptional food. Granted, my group had a private room with dedicated staff for the evening, but you can tell that service is very important to the employees.

Visited September 2013
Olivier G, Responsable relations publiques at La Maison du Cygne, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and your recommendation to your friends ! I am happy that your previous experiences as member of a group was so enjoyable.

I will give you a tip: a good and reasonable way to discover our gastronomic restaurant as a private guest is to visit us at lunch time on weekdays. Our business lunch offers you the possibility to enjoy the talent of our chef for an unbelievable price. Moreover, you will start with a "mise en bouche" (small appetizer) and if you don't take dessert, the chef will nevertheless serve some great fingerfood desserts with your coffee. Check our website but don't tell anybody ;-)

Welcome back soon to our restaurant and ... let us know about your next experience !

Best regards

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, North Carolina
“Perfect food, perfect service, perfect location”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Reservations for 4--ate upstairs on the 1st floor. Elegant atmosphere. Superb service, perfect food and drink. The kir royale was splendid. I had prawns--others in our group had the Breton lobster--all were stuepndous. for entrees, I had the beef filet, one had the leg of lamb, one had Iberico pork, and one had sole with scampi. All amazing. Deserts to die for, and the plate of sweets at the end were overkill, but so tasty and delicious. Serivce was attentive, but not overbearing--just unobtrusive and perfect.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alice M
Olivier G, Responsable relations publiques at La Maison du Cygne, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
We are always happy to read positive feedback from guests coming from far away to visit Brussels and visiting us.

Our chef and his team will be delighted to know that all of you were happy with their choice. The decoration of the gastronomic restaurant upstairs "La Maison du Cygne" has recently been changed. Did you like it?

Let me know, I really would love to have feedback around this new decor for which we opted for historical codes instead of contemporary colors and decoration. The choice was difficult as our chef likes to prepare a contemporary gastronomic cuisine around classical ingredients. (new pictures will soon be posted on Trip Advisor)

I am curious to read your comment !

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

York, United Kingdom
“Superb New Year's Eve celebration”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We were staying in the nearby Hotel Amigo but decided to have dinner here instead of the hotel for New Years Eve. It was a fairly hefty price tag for an 8 course tasting menu - but my goodness, it was superb! I was a wee bit worried that it might be a little 'hushed' and formal for us (parents and two teenagers ready to celebrate 2014 ...) but the waiters were charming, service was seamless and the food was AMAZING! Our only complaint really was that portions were too generous for a tasting menu! It's classy, traditional and not cheap but well worth it for a special occasion.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank QuincyYork
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fine dining, excellent location & service”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

An expensive, elegant and classy restaurant overlooking Grand-Place. Food was excellent; it was beautifully decorated, creative & well-seasoned. We had venison and guineafowl, both were cooked perfectly. The wine was great and the service was good. We particularly loved the small-bite desserts served with coffee. However, the atmosphere was a little uncomfortable for some reasons; only one side of the table was able to see the view of Grand-Place through the relatively narrow windows; I had my back against the windows, so didn't get to see the view and felt squeezed. The price is at the higher end; will think twice before going back as there are cheaper restaurants serving equally good food.

• Visited October 2013
We are happy that your experience was positive.

Grand-Place is indeed so beautiful that most clients would love to have a view on that magic square. The restaurant is housed in an historical house of the XVIIth century with the advantages of the decoration and the inconvenient of the small size of the windows. Even though we would prefer to have a wonderful glass wall to allow our guests to enjoy the panorama, we are also respectful of the heritage and we would, nevertheless, not be allowed to act so.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you soon again.

Best regards,

Olomouc
“Business dinner”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This year's annual meeting with our business partners took place in Brussels. Our Belgian partner invited us to dinner at a famous restaurant on the square Grand Place.
Meeting point we had in the hotel lobby, than we went to the square. Advent atmosphere in the square was magic.
On the way to the restaurant we stopped at the the statue of t'Serclaes. It is said among locals that the statue of Everard 't Serclaes brings luck and grants the wishes of all who touch it. Many tourists touch the statue, particularly the arm, because legend has it that rubbing the arm will ensure one's return to Brussels. So I touched it, too. Right next to the statue of Serclaes is a special entrance to restaurant Maison du Cygne at the corner of rue Charles Buls. This restaurant is housed in a prestigious 17th century building of the former butcher's guild and offers both outwardly (a unique view of the Grand Place) and inside (a stylish, authentic interior) an unforgettable setting .In the 19th century Marx and Engels wrote here the Manifesto of the Communist Party.
We had a dinner in the separate Salon Marbres in the second floor. Filled with the paintings from Italian painter Arcimboldo, paintings depicting the four seasons. I felt like in the Architects Club in St. Petersburg.
As an appetizer we had a great Kir Royal. For starters I tried „Duck Liver Terrine and Candied Onions“, for the main course I ordered „Lamb chops ‘Vert Pré’ with ‘Gratin Dauphinois“ In Italy I've eaten better lamb, but the todays combination was originál. During the meal we tasted delicious white and red French wine. I really enjoy that wine and unfortunately I forgotten which one it was. Followed by outstanding dessert „Delice au chocolat et glace vanille“. At the end our host ordered coffee and French cognac. They also offered a free mini dessert.

Service here was attentive, discreet and not intrusive . I can not objectively comment on the price because our host was paying the dinner. Apparently it was very expensive.
In my opinion this 17th century house offers its guests a unique atmosphere in the heart of the Grand Place of Brussels and it is very prestigious for business occasions.

• Visited December 2013