“One Night Stopover”

Hotel Class'eco Charleroi
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Charleroi
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Because I had just one day in a stopover, I thought to go to Brussels, then decided to visit the town of the airport- Charleroi. It was easy to get a cheap bus from the airport. I went straight to the tourist information office at the train/bus terminal. Although the lady there had a horrible cold and was relatively busy, she took lots of time to help me with my options. She seemed surprised and pleased that I had chosen to spend my day there. I left with good directions and pamphlets of local interest. It was snowy and cold but the city is small and compact, with another tourist info office right in the town square. I was able to leave my suitcase there until closing.
I visited the art school/gallery,museum, cathedral, walked the technical school area(unfortunately, there was no showing at the time). A very attractive and friendly town in my experience.
Formula 1 was the least expensive option for a hotel (less than E50 for 2- breakfast extra and not worth it)) and I had to take a bus. A man who spoke some English walked me to the correct bus stand(because it was a weekend the bus did not leave from its usual place) and waited to speak with the driver. The driver dropped me right across the road from the hotel, cautioned me to take care of my belongings and not wander at night.
The receptionist, male, explained that the washrooms and showers were shared, and that I could access hot water for tea 24 hours free from the coffee machine. There would someone manning the desk all night. As there was a phone in the room I could have a wake up call. Both receptionists spoke perfect English and were more than helpful. They have an agreement with a local cab company to the airport for a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: My room was nonsmoking and I am sensitive to smoke so was apprehensive in this budget hotel, but no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EasternCanadaKoda

Reviewed 15 January 2013

My boyfriend and i had planned to stay in this hotel the night before an early airport departure from the nearby airport.On arrival the receptionist informed us that the showers and toilets were communal.We were only staying there for the night so we decided to just go ahead and check in.He then told us that we had not payed anything and that he had no record of our booking even though we had a reference number and had booked it through bookings.com.We told him that we had payed and he kept on denying it and trying to get us to pay again.We left the hotel refusing to pay again after getting a really bad unsafe feeling from the place as the tiny reception was full of sleezy dodgy looking people which were also walking up and down outside the hotel.We felt very unsafe and the hotel is on its own in a very unsafe area to make matters worse.When we arrived home we checked our credit card balance and we had paid so they took our money in this scam.He even asked us if we wanted a taxi to the airport at a price which we later found was 3 x the amount of the normal price.This hotel was awful.I would definetly not recommend it! This hotel was a NIGHTMARE!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lolly B
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We've chosen this hotel for our journey to Brussels via Charleroi Airport. The journey from the airport was quite difficult - there's no direct line, so you need to change between the lines in the shabby Charleroi centre - you spend 4,7€ to get there. The hotel itself wasn't bad, but it was quite untidy. What's more, the bed smelled from cigarettes and I wasn't really sure if all the cleanliness was as it should had been, but not a disaster. Shower and WC facilities all right. Don't buy coffee in the machine downstairs - not worth it at all. About 15 minutes by foot to a supermarket in centre of Gosselies, but be aware - all the shops in Gosselies close at 8 p.m. An advice for travellers to Brussels: 15-minutes by foot is located the Courcelles-Motte rail station (turn left on the main road in front of the hotel) with good connection to Brussels with one change in Luttre. (check www.sncb.be) The ticket costs 7,3€ (9€ from Charleroi Sud) and is available at the conductor.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michal M
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great value for price , no coffee etc in room but coffee machine downstairs, If you wont a cheap room for the night this is the place to be, only 10 mins from airport . Secure parking, garage 2 mins away as is restaurant , very very basic room

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank crasher98
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I booked to catch an early plane in Charleroi. The pillow and sheets smelled like an ashtray, it was horrible. My guess is that someone, somewhere, sometime smoked in that room and the smell went into the beds but they didn't bother to change the matress, nor the pillows so you feel like you sleep in an ashtray.
Don't go there!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JimmyGhent123
Reviewed 16 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The room and bed were satisfactory. The toilets could have been cleaner - automatic cleaner doesn't quite do the job. Breakfast only passable- definitely not 5€ worth. Hotel-provided taxi service was atrocious. We phoned and were told it would collect us in 15 minutes. 2 phone calls and 1 and a half hours later, different company and surly driver arrived to tick us off for not waiting outside . We are 2 female pensioners and it was after midnight and cold. We were watching for the taxi all the time from just inside the doors - with no seating.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleroi
Charleroi Airport Hotel
Ibis Budget Charleroi Aeroport
Leonardo Hotel Charleroi City Center
Hotel Balladins Charleroi / Airport
Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare

Been to Hotel Class'eco Charleroi? Share your experiences!