“Better than expected”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Charleroi
Birmingham
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We had arranged to meet family in Charleroi, and my cousin and his wife had already booked this hotel so we decided to join them there. I'd read plenty of reviews about both Charleroi and this hotel, none of them particularly inspiring, it must be said.
However, we were pleasantly surprised and although we only stayed for two nights, the hotel provided us with a value for money, pleasant short stay.
We arrived around 4pm Friday, and possibly the biggest downside is parking. the hotel shares a basement car park, immediately below it, with the bank that shares the building, but it seems the bank own this, so it's only available to hotel guests during bank closing time. i.e You CANNOT park there at all when the bank is open. We arrived 30 minutes before the bank closed for the weekend, and luckily happened on a spot 50 mtrs away while we checked in, and then went back and moved the car a little later.
The receptionist was polite and welcoming, and our room was better than expected based on reviews we'd read. It was also significantly larger than my cousins room, so we were gald we booked it as theirs was a little cramped.
We'd booked a business size room, as we'd found a deal on the internet for the same price as the comfort room on a room only basis. The room was a little jaded, I almost said shabby, but that is probably too strong, it was clean, tidy, had plenty of space and storage, but could have done with a little TLC, but not bad at all for a short stay. It had air-conditioning, and a compact but serviceable and clean bathroom with good water pressure and instant hot water.
The bed was spotlessly made up and we couldn't fault the cleanliness of our room at all.
We were unlucky to catch a power cut at the hotel on the Saturday morning, but they had it repaired in about 2 hrs, so no major issue other than having to trek up and down to our room on the 6th floor. The hotel only has rooms on the 5th and 6th floors, the rest is the bank.
It's a very central location for the town, so some traffic noise was expected but, again, not overpowering. Great central location for exploring.
Overall we were well satisfied with our short stay, check out again was politely conducted by the receptionist, although he seemed a little bemused by the pre-paid voucher we had for our booking, but he eventually accepted it gracefully. Moving luggage to the car was very easy, as we were there for Friday to Sunday only, and the car park was accessible directly from the lift to the basement, but it could be a serious pain on a work day, as parking and traffic around the hotel is hectic to say the least.
To summarise, we found it a pleasant, clean, budget hotel suitable for a short stay and we felt we had very good value for money.

Room Tip: Look for deals for a business class room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank picklefactory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sondrio, Italy
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The hotel is within walking distance from Charleroi Sud train station (and airport shuttle stop), so you can use it if you don't want to wake up too early to go to the airport (my personal choice).
It is pretty fine, with wide, 80's style furnitured rooms on the 5th and 6th floor. Everything was clean (with the exception of some small stains on the shower curtain). I had a pretty good night's sleep, with a little noise coming from the road.
Reception people were very kind and helped with a smile.
The hotel seems to be in a not so nice area. A local told me to stay off the little roads behind the hotel, as they are supposed to be dangerous, but I felt safe in there as well. The city centre is not far away.
All in all, I felt fine for one overnight - don't know if I'd use it for more, though...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank pedrogigi

Travellers are raving about these Charleroi hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 30 September 2010

On arrival to Charleroi you may be quite put off with the amount of people hanging around the bus station/train station with beer cans in their hand! But once you get over that you will find that it is actually a nice little town.
The Leonardo hotel is very nice. We were met with a friendly receptionist who spoke English, a room (557) which was very large and confortable and planty of information to let us know where to go etc.
It is on a main road and located near the limited restaurants and bars available.
We had a pleasant stay and a good sleep.
The breakfast was one of the best continental ones I have ever had. Fresh croissaints, pastries, breads, meats, cheeses, pates, yoghurt, fruit, coffee and juice.
Very well looked after and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LyndzHen
BRATISLAVA
Reviewed 21 September 2010

This hotel has an ideal location in the centre of Charleroi, close to the shops, restaurants, take-aways and such. The bus/train station is 5 mins away. The hotel itself is probably one of the better hotels in the town. The check-in process was fast, but I got the impression that even though there were plenty rooms on the floor they have tried to keep all the guests in just one section of the floor which made it quite noisy. The walls were thin, I could hear everything from the neigbouring rooms, and some of the guests had stayed awake until 3am and made quite a lot of noise. Th room was relatively small with a window that could only be slid open about 5 cm because of safety reasons. Not much of a daylight coming into the room either. The room had a kettle with tea and coffee bags, fridge, fan, TV and quite a nice bathroom with an actual bath. Liquid soaps were also provided. A wifi is avaliable, but the charges are applicable. Business centre (one computer) is also at the reception but it was out of order. Breakfast is also avaliable for a charge, but I opted out. There is a small grocery store closeby that has pretty much everything. There is a direct train from Charleroi to Brussels continuing to Antwerpen and Amsterdam. The public bus to Charleroi airport only operates twice (once on weekends) per hour and it gets quite overcrowded so it is better to go earlier. A taxi to the airport is about 20-25 Euros. I would only recommend this hotel to those who need to stay close to the airport.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank lukino6
Swindon - England
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I stayed 1 night at this hotel so that I could watch football in Charleroi. The hotel is 5-10 mins walk from the railway station at the bottom of the toen centre. The hotel was reasonable. The staff were ok but did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome or tell me where the restaurant etc was. The room was small but clean and tidy. It did have tea and coffee making facilities. The breakfast was ok with reasonable choice even though again the staff were a little on the cold side. Overall, the hotel was sufficient for my needs and if you are here for a short stay then you might consider staying here. As for Charleroi it is a little grim but I was here to watch football so it did not make any difference plus there were a couple of bars nerarby that meant I could have a beer

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Riga
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I used this hotel for a Ryanair layover. They do provide an inclusive rate with airport transfers, which was fairly convenient. The hotel is not nice though. It is just as tired as the rest of Charleroi, so don't expect much. No way this is close to 4 stars from a quality perspective. I would say 1 to 2 stars, it is appears to be of no-tel/motel quality. With taxi transfers - I would consider the price high for for the quality. There are nicer hotels in town.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
South of England
Reviewed 5 March 2010

On my limited experience (this place and the former Novotel at Namur / Wepion) I am getting the impression that Leonardo is building an empire of basket case properties from the 1970s. However, if you can put up with the decidedly dated rooms, they are reasonably comfortable, and mine was remarkably quiet for this location. If you take the walking route from the station suggested by the public transport website (as I did) you will find yourself walking along Charleroi's prime kerb crawling street.

The hotel has a reception and restaurant (strong smell of chips) on the ground floor and the rooms are on the fifth and sixth, above commercial premises. There is wifi, but it is staggeringly expensive.

The man who checked me out was very cheerful and helpful. I wanted directions to the Beaux Arts bus terminus and he gave me a map, which also set out the attractions of Charleroi. As a result of a pleasant walk, I have mentally upgraded this town, slightly, from irredeemable dump to "might go back when it's not so cold". It would be nicer if there were not quite so many people hanging round the streets with nothing obvious to do.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleroi
Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare
Best Western Plus Aero 44
Best Western Plus Aero 44
#5 of 9 in Charleroi
Hotel Balladins Charleroi / Airport

Been to Leonardo Hotel Charleroi City Center? Share your experiences!