“Personal service?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Hasselt
London, United Kingdom
“Personal service?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I emailed the hotel in advance to ask about a wired internet connection to log onto an external work server. I also asked about connecting my DVD player to the room TV. A lady from the hotel replied to say that this ought to be possible with my own cables. When I arrived, it appeared as though my required connections weren't possible. I didn't need to protest. The guy at check-in, Mick, upgraded me to a deluxe room. This had a panel on the wall in which one can plug in a PC, DVD, USB etc to the TV. And he called in an external technician who sorted out a wired LAN connection from my room within 24 hours! I could not have asked for more from him. Mick also checked in on a subsequent day to ensure all was in order. That episode, and Mick's genuineness, was enough to win my goodwill. I found the other reception staff also to be very friendly, and three smiling ladies from the housekeeping team would come to clean my room. Everything was always left sparkling clean. So for me the biggest selling point of this hotel is personal service and cleanliness. Next comes the food and location. Hasselt is a small town, so the latter probably isn't a unique feature. As regards food, a lot of locals come to the restaurant to eat. Ask for the local menu, as the English version only has the a la carte stuff on it, and you may get fed up of that after a while. Besides, the fixed price menu is worth trying at least once! As for decor, I understand that most of the hotel is renovated, but there are still some rooms not done. If you get a renovated deluxe room like mine, you'll have a good bed and clean bathroom with sufficient toiletries, flat screen TV, coffee machine, umbrella, a little fridge, bottle of water etc. I also had a little goldfish in a bowl, but I was convinced that it was out to attack me. It seemed very agitated and would knock against the bowl whenever I came into the room. Poor thing - I'd probably be terrified cooped up like that with strangers coming near me, especially ones that look like me. So I asked for it to be removed. Another thing that might bug some people is that the four pillows all seemed the same, extra soft. I guess that's better than all being hard, but I carry my own orthopaedic pillow so it didn't bother me. And maybe because I got the upgrade, my room was on the first floor where the hotel office is, as opposed to a higher floor. But I didn't care one bit, as the cleanliness and my ability to work was much more important. I did not try the gym, but I am told that guests can visit the nearby professional gym. So no dingy exercise room but a proper gym! All said and done, if you are one for chains as opposed to little establishments, then this one isn't for you.

Room Tip: Renovated rooms! Those overlooking the restaurant on the main road are noisier if you keep your win...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike11in13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Herent, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for one night in a standard room following a conference.
The room was old and worn and in need of some refurbishment (the photos of the more modern looking rooms must be the delux rooms/suites). The bathroom was also completely outdated and the toilet didn't flush well.
The room was very warm, but faced a noisy road, so opening windows wasn't an option. In addition to this the air conditioning was extremely noisy.
The mattrasses could also use an update - you could feel the springs. Tv was still a small old 'boxy' model.

On the positive side:
Location was very central.
The conference room facilities were good.

Room Tip: don't book a standard room - go for the delux or a suite!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Roeselare, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed one night in this fashionable design hotel, perfect located in the heart of this vibrating city. After the very friendly and professional check-in, we enjoyed some food & drinks served on their cosy and heated lounge terrace. The Delux-room was very bright, contemporary and with an eye for design and details. We even got our own fish, which we called 'Wanda' :-)
We met with our friends at the "Etage", a high end exclusive rooftop terrace, serving Champagne, Champagne and....Champagne. Sun, good music, nice people,... we felt like real jetsetters :-)
After a good night sleep (very good bed/pillows!!) we enjoyed a well balanced and extensive Breakfast Buffet.
There's no private car park, but there's a large underground car park just behind the hotel, so no problem there to mention. A pitty that the hotel hasn't got any wellness facilities.
Overall, we are definitely coming back as we love the city, its people and this hotel!!
Thanks,
Cédric & Phyllis

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Zwolle, Holland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

This one is very bad:

The bed's are very old.
You smell the kitchen thougout the hotel.
The normal rooms look like there from the 70's, with a old TV.
This hotel in the past a member of the best western chain but there is almost nothing "best" at all. Also it's veryvery noisy and the people are not that friendly.
To avoid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We made a reservation for the penthouse for my birthday. The penthouse is beautiful decorated, very stylish and with a balcony overviewing the city. Great bathroom with a rainforest shower and television at the end of the bubblebath. Because of the glass door there was no privacy on the toilet. No hairdryer needed, there is one available in the bathroom and it's a very professional one. The bed, no complaints. A ceiling with stars makes your dreams even better! television at the end of the bed. Lots of space to put your belongings and a safe. Small living area with again a televison, mini bar - drinks were free. But in a penthouse you expect a bit more than two soft drinks.
The elevator has its own life and brings you to the level where HE wants!!!!!The doors also have their own will. I told the receptionist, and she answered the problem was going to be solved the next following day but now I see the other reviews and the lift isn't working as it should since end 2012!!!
The guest lady isn't very friendly, she had a lot of work and telephones to answer and she gave the impression stress was overwhelming her.
The breakfast isn't WOW! The usual stuff, the fruit wasn't very fresh and the way to the buffet, along th WC's , needs refreshing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is a smallish boutique style hotel. Very welcoming staff. Our room was a good size but as with a lot of hotels a small single wardrobe which was half taken up with bedside type cabinet in so even less room to hand coats and longer items. Having said that we enjoyed our stay. The breakfasts were good and the restaurant very nice. You can also sit outside in a heated area which was a first for us in December. Although we did not eat there in the evenings lots of others did and the restauranr seemed full both nights we were there. Very handy for the centre of town. We were there in Dec and the plate tree was in the square. We thought it was really good especially lit up at night. Would return but in the summer with fewer clothes!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

It's part of the Best Western chain and there's nothing wrong with that but we didn't notice anything 'boutique' about it!
Our room was a typical 'voucher' room which makes us think it's maybe better to spend a little more to get better value. But you can't just throw away a voucher can you?
The room was clean and compact but very warm although freezing outside. We couldn't regulate the temperature so we had the window open all day and night. We specifically requested a quiet room but even with the window closed there was quite some noise from the ring road which might be 'green' but still is a ring road! The bathroom on the other hand was from a different era, dirty stains, flaking paint, cracked washing basin. Maybe it's waiting to be renovated or maybe this is a room they keep for 'voucher' travelers or night staff?
We had a snack in the restaurant and my wife's chicken sandwich was ok but I got deep fried frozen 'chippie' snacks for the price of a homemade decent meal. I wonder how a chef can get professional pride from serving this? Positive : nice breakfast buffet although not supplemented frequently, very nice man at reception desk,comfy beds and decent location near the small city center if you don't mind the ring road. Would we stay there again maybe but not with a voucher...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple