“Loving me some Moules et Frites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of De Karakol

De Karakol
Ranked #125 of 229 Restaurants in Hasselt
Cuisines: Belgian, Seafood, European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
San Antonio, Texas
“Loving me some Moules et Frites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

De Karakol is a quaint little place in central Hasselt. The food is wonderfully fresh. I've had the mussels there several times, and each time does not disappoint. The mussels are so big and tasty, served Provencial style in a celery & onion broth with a side of a light mustard sauce. The frits (fries) are prepared the traditional Belgian way and are very good; the perfect complement to the mussels.

My colleague had fabulous grilled salmon in a delicate mustard/wine sauce. The serving of salmon was very generous, and he enjoyed it very much.

Be warned this is a local place, and they have a tendency not to take Visa or Mastercard without a chip in it. I read an earlier review where I saw that a chipless card was not accepted, so, I made sure that they would accept my card before I ordered, and they did begrudgingly accept it. I think it's because I did ask first and cleared it in advance.

In any event, no matter the payment options, the food is fabulous and the atmosphere quite local. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the Hasselt area.

Visited April 2013

“Mediocrity with a dressing of arrogance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

My overall impression is that there is an old-fashioned cook at work in De Karakol. While most of the food was acceptable, it looked as if we went 50 years back in time. For instance, the dishes are typically accompanied by two small leaves of dry lettuce, not even a modest salad. This is not really a disaster though, but the fries were definitely a disaster. They were obviously home-made, so expectations were high, but they had a strange pale-brownish color and a very bland taste. The sourish home-made mayonnaise did not help either. My sole was slightly salty, but acceptable. My friends also liked their salmon (though you should ask beforehand if you like it well-done). The chocolate mousse was OK, but definitely not better than the generic one from the supermarket. The waiter's arrogance was a source of frustration, very impolite. The chairs inside are very uncomfortable.

• Visited August 2012
Glassboro, New Jersey
“Nice restaurant but watch out with a US credit card”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

The menu is very nice with well prepared food items. The service is good. Be aware that they do not accept credit cards without a chip in it. Even though we had a Visa and a MasterCard with us, the waiter/owner refused to accept it even though their window states they accept Visa and MasterCard. According to him, it was "illegal" in Belgium to accept it. We later contacted our credit cards and in the US they do not make it with a chip and were told that they should have accepted it.

• Visited January 2012
Hasselt, Belgium
“Mussels rule !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Mussels are in town ... you can find me here ;-) Good price-value.

“A taste of the seaside in landlocked Belgium.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Ate there yesterday evening with husband and two kids. It's small but somehow captures just the right tones of blue and aromas of good fish being well prepared to give one a bit of a seaside holiday feeling. The smoked eel starter was just perfectly balanced with the green beans and dressing. Fresh, firm mussels, nicely spiced salmon spaghetti and heavenly fish pie. A salad or veg would have been nice with the pie.

2 Thank Gollygeewillikers