“A upside down hotel - bad view warning”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Les Comtes de Mean

Les Comtes de Mean
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Liege
Espoo, Finland
“A upside down hotel - bad view warning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I loved this hotel but not because of the view that we had. We were in a Jr Suite (#324) which means an extra queen size bed and a small room with a couch, chair, tv and a door so you can close off from the main room. This was great with the kids who were zonked after a full day of touring. The staff was well informed and nice.

So what do I mean by "upside down"? The reception is on the ground floor, which is also floor 7. It basically sits on a cliff. Then you go down to your room. The spa was also quite hard to find. Reminded me of the Spinal Tap scene :-) The spa pool as nice but not meant for family. Oh well. The others in there were great.

The bad view warning - I was warned that the view would be bad if I took the upgrade and they were right - worst view I've ever had. We looked directly into what appeared to be an abandoned office. You can see the video of this.

The location was great for the family. It's less than 10 euros to the main train station. Also close to La Batte Market and everything else.

Recommended.

Room Tip: If you want a view - request it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ChristianErickson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I stayed whilst visiting for the formula one - so the hotel was (see below) at maximum occupancy. We've stayed in a number of five star hotels so my review of this hotel is from experience, rather than someone who doesn't know what to expect.

Essentially, the hotel is beautiful - designed by a master clearly - everything is crafted to within an inch of its life! The room was furnished brilliantly and we didn't find any problems or to comment on in this 'category'.

The problems we had were all about service. It's a problem we've had before in some five stars, where the customer service mantra is to be what can only be described as indifferent - getting on for rude.

When we checked in, the chap at the desk said as we were the last to book (we'd booked 25 days previous so this is extremely doubtful), there were no king rooms available, so it was either have a twin or have a king but in a disabled room. So essentially, my wife and I got the king room but at the expense of having some weird wet room with a shower. So five star, but no relaxing bath at the end of a long day at the F1, just a substandard shower.

My assumption is that as we'd bagged a deal (or a 'deal', as we'd still paid ~£175 per night) through hotwire, we were absolutely, and clearly, not a priority guest for the hotel. I'm a member of their rewards scheme (and they didn't know this) so this was against the action they should have taken when bearing their own rules in mind. In a five star, you'd be recompensed with a drink on the house, or even just an apology! Not that I wanted anything, but to be told with an attitude that we get what we're given is a shame - again, not up to standard.

The brasserie does a nice meal, but again, one of the guys serving us had a terrible attitude. I know I'm not a 55 year old dripping with gold but I am a 28 year old with a decent diposable income and smartly dressed - so treat me with at least some respect and I'll hang around and spend! He got that wrong so we left after trying for 10 minutes to get his attention when we wanted some drinks - he was too busy flirting with apparently more valuable customers!

Few small things about the room - no wine glasses or bottle openers (there's wine in the minibar though), no iron and minimal tea/coffee supplies. Anything you need, there's a 15 minute wait for someone to bring it down to your room. The bed must have some sort of plastic sheet under all the sheets as it got a little sweaty after a night's sleep (apologies for the stark honesty).

A five star (I apologise for the over-use of this phrase but if they sell rooms by using it, that's how I measure them!) would offer a turn down service, which we got (by way of a bottle of water) on the first night but nothing the other two nights. We didn't get offered a newspaper and their valet parking is more of a hindrance than a help when despite ringing ahead for your car, you still have to wait.

Staff taking smoking breaks outside the front door is sloppy too, in my opinion....

Anyway - to summarise, I would stay at this hotel again but only really if I got another deal. It was about value for money (and to be fair to them, it was F1 weekend so the rate we got was probably pretty good) with a deal but not at rack rate. If we'd have paid rack rate and got that service on the first day we'd have moved hotel.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and confirm your room type to avoid being given whatever's available at the time as t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aviatorleics
Brussels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

The hotel has a nice location in Liege, close to the city center. It's a nice renovation of the old monastery.
I have booked a club executive room. At the check-in they told me I got an upgrade to an executive room. I wasn't aware that club executive & executive were actually the same and therefor I just got what I paid for. My bad for now paying attention.
I had a room on the 6th floor with complementary lounge access, but that wasn't very special. A few biscuits and limited beverage choice. It didn't even change during the evening or morning.

The room was nice, clean, modern and quiet. Same with the bathroom, walk-in shower and separate bathtub.

The breakfast wasn't special. Once seated, I've waited 10 min for someone asking us what I wanted to drink. No one came, so we just went to get our breakfast. When we were back at our table still nothing. I had to ask someone to get some coffee and she forgot. She noticed it and brought a small cup of coffee, not even a can.
The fruit wasn't fresh.

I would rate this between 3 & 4 stars. Service needs to step up!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ErikCleppe
Midlands, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Simply outstanding hotel and we got an amazing rate here. Room was spacious, stylish and spotlessly clean. This hotel appears to be (from my limited experience) where the beautiful people of Liege hang out.

Didn't use the restaurant but it looked superb and the views from it are outstanding.

Used the really nice swimming pool - great.

Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Our room was on the lowest level and was great - I think they are probably all good.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

The city of Leige is a rough looking city with some historical attractions to see. When we arrived to Crowne Plaza it was the nicest looking building on the block among rundown apartments and some vacant buildings. Once you step inside the Crowne Plaza - it's "wow". Very elegant decor. There was surprising twist when we got on the elevator. We don't up to our room from the lobby level. We go down. The lobby level is already the 7th floor. The restaurants are a bit expensive. We opt to eat in the city centre. The hotel room was nice sized with enough room to add rollaway bed. Had great view from the room of the former monastery which was incorporated in the design of the hotel. The gym had alot of equipment to work out with all near the pool and spa. From the spa you can take the exit down the steps of Rue Dela Montagne and make a left at the corner you will be near the city centre and restaurants, shopping, and local attractions. The club lounge is disappointing. It's a large modern room with a long table of spaced out bowls of cookies, nuts, and mini cakes which sit for long periods of time. There is a bowl of ice with liter bottles of soda. The refrigerator have about handful of yogurt or juices to select from. The breakfast buffet was just a plate of croissants, pastries and danishes along with yogurt, and bottled juices. The worst club lounge I have ever seen. No attendant was available.

PROS:
close to city centre
plenty of parking in parking garage two streets over, in front of hotel or across the street in a gravel lot.
Clean, comfortable hotel and rooms
Helpful and friendly staff
complimentary glass of wine

CONS:
no children under age of 16 allowed in the Osmoso spa fitness area
including the pool
Problems getting in and out of the parking garage
Club lounge not very good at all

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

A mix of new, contemporary hotel built onto a medieval monastary. Spacious room, great bathroom and amenities.

As several other reviewers have mentioned, it is good, but not ready for 5-stars (yet) : service was good, but slow; we where turned back at reception twice because our room was not ready within the given time; this was offset with a free drink at the bar. The drink also took a (very) long time to materialize, but the cocktails where great and we where not really in a hurry, so no harm done there. When we got to the room, the luggage had been brought up as well, so bonus points there.

The fitness area is new and has all the machinery you'd expect, but it is not spacious and will not handle large crowds .. So be ready to stand in line.

We had dinner at the brasserie and found the terrace to be excellent. When the wind picked up, we decided to go inside and got a nice table table which was set correct within minutes. The food with its "local" dishes (we only found 2) was delicious, however not necessarily copious for the more hungry patrons. No menu option, so only a la carte dining, which for a brasserie is a bit odd IMHO, since a brasserie lends itself best for a "quick" bite to eat. Also serving bottles of drink, without labels is really not done!

Overall, a very nice hotel which I can recommend ... If the service can iron out the rough edges, it will get up to 5 stars level

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

As we drove through a less than stellar town (not Liege), on our approach to the hotel, we were wondering what awaited us. The Crowne Plaza Liege surpassed our expectations. The lobby had an edgy vibe (much different from the Heidelberg Crowne Plaza we had just experienced.) which coupled with the free wifi, set the stage for a wonderful stay. The rooms (which are on floors below the lobby) were clean, comfortable and spacious. Very modern bathrooms contained both a tub and shower. The beds had adjustable reading lights on both sides. The public space hosts two restaurants and an awesome bar called "the Cave." While it contains a section for cigar smokers, the main bar is "smoke free." Also make sure to check out the black bottom pool at the health club. The hotel is worthy of its rating!

Room Tip: Suites have a unique vibe to them. The standard rooms are quite large. Those on the interior have...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BigRed014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liege
Pentahotel Liege
Husa de la Couronne
Husa de la Couronne
#5 of 19 in Liege
Radisson Blu Palace Hotel, Spa

Been to Les Comtes de Mean? Share your experiences!