“Good Hotel - But try and speak FRENCH!”
Review of Les Comtes de Mean

Les Comtes de Mean
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Liege
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here as a family break with our 18 month old daughter and the staff were really friendly despite a very obvious language barrier with my rusty French and the staffs slightly better english we managed to muddle through but i dont think they get many English speaking guests on a regular basis. The rooms were a good size and actually glad we didn't pay the extra to upgrade the room as a standard was big enough! great bathroom and in room facilities including a coffee machine and Mini bar and all your toiletries you would expect. Other people have reviewed saying they should have been told about the 15 euro surcharge for the use of the pool and although it may seem a little excessive the staff were great and would be well worth it for a couple who could get a decent amount of time to use it! It was obvious not many children use this hoitel but the staff were fantastic with our little girl who was not too impressed for the whole weekend! We had dinner (again french requiired for the menu) it was pleasant enough but nothing fantastic for the price. We also had breakfast but as true brits it wasnt to our taste and was a little exspensive for some badly cooked bacon and jam on toast! the coffee was good though!

To sumarise - great if you have a basic grasp of french and are a couple looking for a break away room great staff great food average!

Room Tip: lots of space in a standard room :-)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gemma M
There are newer reviews for Les Comtes de Mean

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here for 9 nights and was disappointed.

The first annoyance was the €15 charge for use of the gym and pool, no mention of this until you actually book the hotel or read the reviews. Naturally I never went.

The room was pleasent enough, lovely big bath but found a winter duvet a bit excessive considering its mid summer, of the 9 days my room was also not cleaned for 2 of them.

The breakfast was OK, good omlette bar but I mostly missed this as I was too early, had dinner here once which was over priced and not very good.

The staff all seemed very friendly and were very helpful but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Flint89,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and kind comments regarding our hotel staff and rooms. It is regrettable that our housekeeping and dinner served fell below your standards. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us and I am confident that our internal departments with take the necessary steps to improve on our services.

I hope that we get another chance to provide you with a great experience in the future.

Faith R

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is not bad, but it is far from excellent. On arrival you have to leave the car in the care of the concierage who takes it way and parks it. This means that you need to ensure you have everything you need before handing over the keys and there is no nipping back to the car to grab something.

We had dinner in the informal dinning brasserie. Actually it was fine. Some interesting dishes. Breakfast did not have a huge choice, actually it was very limited, but eggs were cooked fresh.

The biggest disappointment was the swimming pool. I have stayed in many hotels. Some have pools and some do not. This is the first time I have chosen a hotel on the basis that it has a pool and discovered on arrival that for my wife and I to use the pool would cost an extra 30 euros. We decided against it. So much for being treated as guests.

There are some interesting and grand buildings in Liege, but as a previous reviewer has pointed out you would not really want to walk about after dark.

Overall, the hotel is ok, but not as good as it tries to make out - to use the phrase of my wife: 'it is up itself'.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Adrian_COLCHESTER,

Thank you for writing us a review regarding your stay. I am delighted to know that you liked our dining facility. However, I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the breakfast selection and pool facility. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is the result of a project to preserve important historical buildings along a hillside next to the city core. The hotel entrance is at the top of a seven story structure attached to a mansion. There are various parts connected with most rooms in the contemporary structure. Be prepared for a limited view but a quiet setting in an otherwise noisy place. The fitness center is not included - it requires a substantial spa fee. There are no alarm clocks - the only clock is in the TV. The staff speak French and some know English. Michel, the manager is exceptional in his devotion to his guests - I saw him working every day. He is especially helpful and he can deal with English speakers as well. It's a very nice place that is especially good for respecting the surroundings. The hotel is a five minute walk from the train station Liege-Palais. There are frequent trains at no extra charge from Liege-Guillemins which is the new station located outside the core.

Room Tip: The seven story building is a long a cliff and most rooms have a view of a wall. If you want a decen...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lesson_learned
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was fortunate that my company HQ booked a large conference at this hotel and we were required to stay here for a week to help with the build up and then delivery of the 2 day conference. The hotel was stunning, the food exceptional and the grand ball room beautiful. The bedrooms were so comfortable and I loved the touches like lavender sleep spray and so on. next time I come back to Liege I would definitely stay again.
My only niggle was that I got home and found my card details had been used and had to follow this up but to be fair it was dealt with quickly and efficiently when I contacted them so all good and I think just a misunderstanding.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel could have been wonderful, the potential is evident when you arrive. This hotel is situated above the older part of town which can be seen from the reception floor, the 7th. The rooms are below. The first room they gave us was on the lowest floor, it was dark and dank, felt like we had been taken to the dungeon. I said no! the room was not acceptable and it was changed to one floor above. This was just enough better that we took it after all we were only planning to stay one night. In the bar for a drink we soon found out that the hotel was full of a group of bicycle riders. Apparently this is why we were relegated to the dungeon.

We decided to have dinner in the hotel, not wanting to cab anywhere, the town is not really walkable in the dark. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Our order was taken in reasonable time and then we waited and waited and waited. After about an hour we asked about our food and then we waited some more. We were just about to leave when the food arrived. The food was very good but after so long a wait was hard to appreciate.

Breakfast was served in the same location and was acceptable.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask in your reservation for a room on the floors above 3rd. Room 202 was nice. had a co...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear lovesweims,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience specifically with the unsatisfactory service you experienced at the restaurant. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

When entering a hotel you are usually greeted by the receptionist with a warm welcoming to the hotel. This did not happen at the Plaza as they were more interested in swiping my card than greeting me and hoping the travel was ok.
A week before visiting the Plaza I had contacted them to make sure that I could park outside the front of the hotel however when we arrived we had to argue with the concierge to leave the cars out the front. Poor communication.
Restaurant, it took the waiter 20mins to clean the starters away and after asking many of times where the mains were they turned up an hour later. The beef steak was very tough and as the waiter described it a "very poor cut" yet it was still placed in front of us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Debbie S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Debbie S,

Thank you for staying with us and writing feedback about your experience. It is unfortunate that your stay was a disappointment. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Liege
Pentahotel Liege
Husa de la Couronne
Husa de la Couronne
#5 of 19 in Liege
Radisson Blu Balmoral Hotel, Spa

Been to Les Comtes de Mean? Share your experiences!