“Started of well then went downhill rapidly”

Le Val de la Cascade
Ranked #14 of 26 Restaurants in Stavelot
Cuisines: French
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Started of well then went downhill rapidly”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

When we arrived it was reasonably busy but we were quickly seated and our drinks arrived promptly.
I had the pasta carbonara which was delicious and my partner had the fish croquettes which looked and smelt very tasty
We then sat there for ages before the waitress took our dessert order; my partners ice cream turned up after a while but no sign of my cheese board
As is always the case when this happens we now found ourselves is a waiter free zone while my partner finished her dessert.
When then waitress finally reappeared I asked where mine was there was a big song and dance of apologies and getting it to me but I then sat for another age before it showed up - I can only assume they were maturing the cheese.
Whilst the cheese was admittedly delicious, all bar the first pat of butter were rancid, one having liquified YUCK!.
We then sat there, untroubled by serving staff, for another lifetime before the manky butter was whisked away with another shower of apologies
After asking possibly every passing waiter in the place for the bill we finally got up and payed at the till
To my utter lack of surprise I was charged in full for the gopping dessert
Up to now the worst service I have ever had was an Italian restaurant in Portsmouth but Le Val de la Cascade came close to stealing their crown

Visited September 2013