“Average, Great Mussels, not a real place for a vegetarian”
Review of De Lieve

De Lieve
Ranked #202 of 919 Restaurants in Ghent
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would rate the place as average for the atmosphere and food. The service was nice and friendly. They offer exotic meat and have lots of steak options. Not a real place for vegetarian, however there are always two vegetarian meals on the menu. The vegetarian meal was OK. It was pasta-based dish, but covered with lots of cheese and little salad, so it lacks real vegetables. However, go for the mussels as starters. They were soft and delicious!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

my B&B hostess gave the place a rave. Unfortunately, i could not get service. It did not seem like a very busy night, there were even empty tables outside, but they seemed short on help, and the woman at the bar who had the airs of a manager/owner told me she was "too busy" to serve me. She also inquired me if I was from a nearby hostel (I was not). This is a totally bizarre situation that could not have possibly emerged in the US. You can always put one person at the bar, for cryin outloud. So No De Lieve for me.

1  Thank davidwgurevich
Reviewed 2 July 2013

When travelling you always hope to uncover that little gem, a place ignored by the crowds but offering everything you could have wanted. De Lieve may not be absolutely perfect, but comes very close indeed.

It's located at the edge of Patershol, one of the oldest parts of Gent. A little pub-restaurant, very crowded downstairs but with a modest dining room upstairs. Once you get up there a large, jovial older waiter welcomes you. Most of the guests are locals. The menu is a simple A4 printed sheet in plastic, there is no wine menu - but that's not due to lack of choice, just ask the waiter.

Food is traditional Flemish/Burgundian, with a limited menu (this basically a pub, not a massive culinary estabilishment), but enough to satisfy most preferences. I had braised ox tongue, my colleagues sole meuniere. I would have suggested either a light red or full bodied white to go with this, but my colleague insisted on a bordeaux. The waiter tried to convince him it wasn't the best choice with his white fish, but eventually gave in and came with a delicious grand cru reserve for about EUR 35, which was marginally on the heavy side for my tongue and completely overpowered the fish - but would have been beautiful with a steak or so.

All in all food was great, as good as I've had in restaurants with Michelin stars, but presentation was simple, and prices to match. Three of us drinking beer before the meal, wine during it and coffee afterwards paid EUR 116 together, 1/4 of which was the bottle of excellent (if inappropriate) wine.
Even though my colleagues were Dutch (and I probably sounded Dutch too) - which rarely elicits the best service at Flemish restaurants - the service was impeccable and downright friendly.

Will certainly go again when visiting Gent.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Went there by myself during a weekday. The owner and ?his wife were very warm and friendly. They recommended me a great beer and helped me with the menu. I ended up spending about 20 euro for a great dish of endives (witlof) wrapped in ham with bechamel sauce and made in the oven. I wanted to go there again at some point during the weekend but, funny thing, it was closed. This is a place for locals!

Reviewed 12 January 2013

Living in Ghent, we like eating in De Lieve. This is a typical Flemish restaurant that servers typical Belgian dishes (stoofvlees - stew, konijn met pruimen - rabbit, bloedworst - black pudding, traditional fish, ..). The price you pay is fair, the service is excellent and extremely friendly and the great location and nice atmosphere make this a recommendation, both for locals and visitors!