“Lot to complain about”

Ranked #42 of 113 Ghent B&B and Inns
Raisio, Finland
“Lot to complain about”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

When I arrived I was informed that my booking for six days was not written down, so I could only get a room for two nights, even though I had a printed copy of the email confirming my arrival. Therefore I had to switch hotels twice, which caused a lot of stress and ruined a good part of my stay. My room was on the highest floor, which meant that I had to use multiple sets of steep stairs to get down, which I quite often had to. The internet connection was bad up that high, and disappeared sometimes completely. The private bathroom isn't really a room, just a cut-off section with a wall, so if you're sharing the room with someone, prepare for awkward moments if you're not close enough to listen to each other pee.
The location was very good though, the breakfast was decent and bed was very soft.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WaterbearK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Quaint and quirky little b&b only 15 minute walk from city centre. Made to feel really welcome. Only here for one night but very good. Bed really comfy, clean, good breakfast provided. Excellent value for money. Would come again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of B&B's in Ghent - and this is the best. A cross between a hotel and a B&B, it is an old 3 storey building (stairs are steep!), renovated, but not in a modern way. The furnishings are old - sort of art deco in my room. The photos, by the way, are very truthful.
Staff are very welcoming - and I also met John, the owner. Get him to tell you about his projects in Africa - he is doing a great job helping people to help themselves to improve their lives.
Back to the B&B - comfortable and spacious room, even a Sony docking station, so I could re-charge my iPhone, having forgotten the cable. Wifi was good as well. Breakfast is from 8am, but they made mine ready for 7.30, as I have to leave early - and it was a great choice of breakfast items.
Also - try the restaurant in the Centre - with Creole food - excellent chicken satay, the best I have had - they make it themselves.
I will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Hi, this is just to leave my impressions about Faja Lobi Bed & Breakfast (Tarbotstraat 31), where I stayed for 6 nights last week, as I think this place deserves my recommendation. I was staying in a 4-people room with my friends. It was really cheap (110 EUR per night for the whole room), so we were afraid of the quality. Instead of that we spent a great time in one of the nicest places I've ever stayed in. There are several highlights:

- delicious breakfast with breadrolls and cakes right from the oven, home-made jam, several kinds of cheese and jam, eggs, orange juice, corn flakes and fruits, eat as much as you can!
- pretty, spacious dining room with a big window on a garden and a big wooden table, AND all the stuff is available to use and cook on Your own!
- the highest level of cleanliness in the kitchen and dining room, I have never seen anything like this in a hostel
- the nicest and very helpful lady serving breakfast, so was the owner of Faja Lobi, Jurgen!
- separate and clean bathroom
- spacious and nice room

As for the drawbacks:
- it was quite cold in the evening
- one night there were some mosquitos in out room (but we had a special insect repellent)
- the are isn't the nicest, but It was around 20min walk to the old town, by bike it was super quick

So, if You have a chance do stay there-don't hesitate:) I really regret I haven't tried the Surinam restaurant in the other Faja Lobi location.

best, Monika

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at the Faja Lobi B&B in the center of town. For a February visit, it turned out to be a very pleasant stay. The room wasn't fancy, but it was adequately furnished and inviting. The staff at the cafe were friendly and accommodating. And, I managed to sleep very comfortably.

Pros:

Comfortable bed
WiFi works as expected
Great breakfast
Good cafe downstairs
Fantastic location
Friendly, easy going staff

Cons:

No shampoo/shower gel provided (seriously?!)
Room not cleaned daily

Other:

The rooms are above the ground floor in an old building -- the stairs are not designed for hauling modern luggage. Be careful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed in Tarbotstraat 31, and found it to be clean, simple, elegant and a little bit rustic. We liked the friendly and relaxed attitude of our hosts and and overgrown back garden. I would recommend some mosquito repellent, however.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Me and my wife, along with another couple, stayed at Faja Lobi in august 2011. We wanted show them the lovely city of Ghent which we were already very aquainted with. Ghent was lovely as ever but our stay at this BnB left a lot to be desired. As soon as we got to our room we were greeted by a welcoming commitee consisiting of a few dozen mosquitos waiting for us to go asleep and feast on our blood.
Or maybe they were just moarning their dead family members splattered on the walls by the previous guests. We were at least expecting that the removal of bug- carcasses would be included in the cleaning of the room.
Also apparently not included in the price of the room was the cleaning of any dust. We were able to write our name on some of the furniture and before we could drink the coffee that is standard in most BnB rooms, we had to get rid of a finger-thick layer of dust.
The garden that is so lovingly shown in the pictures here on the website did seem nice, although we weren't compelled to go in there since we had to travel through a few cobwebs to get there.
We tried to contact the owners by going to their cafe that they have in the centre of ghent, but both were too busy to talk to us about the issues. In the end we e-mailed them about the cleanliness in the bnb which did result in the cleaninglady redoing our rooms.
In closing, we have stayed at a number of bnb's already and Faja Lobi is simply not worth it's price category.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brecht D

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels