“Wonderful experience”

ApartGent Business & Travel Apartments
Ranked #10 of 37 Speciality Lodging in Ghent
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This very nice apart-hotel is located in the centre of Ghent, near the public transport and a secure underground parking.
We spent more than a week there with the family and felt immediately at home, also thanks to great service from Kristof and Erika who run the apartments.
We especially liked the grand atmosphere of the original building, the rooms with the high ceilings and the modern, yet cosy accommodation.
Recommended for all who want to feel at home, even when traveling.

Room Tip: Really, all rooms are great :)
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven H

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I needed a place to stay in Ghent during the film festival that lasted 10 days in October 2011. When searching for apartments, my primary criterion is its central location, on walking distance from everything interesting. For the film festival, this apartment had an ideal location, within 15 minutes from all relevant cinema's, some even within 5 minutes on foot. On the other hand, if sightseeing is your reason to visit Ghent, you will find the historic center also within 10 or 15 minutes.
If walking is not your hobby, the central tram/bus station is around the corner, where nearly all trams and buses pass by. And to complete my requirements list, an extensive shopping center is there as well, including a large supermarket with everything you need or forgot to bring along.
Secondly, I want a well equipped kitchen to prepare my own meals.
And thirdly, Internet is also on my "must have" list. In this case, only fixed Internet was available which worked very well for my laptop. However, my smartphone felt a bit orphaned (luckily, most local cinema's offered free WiFi, so no real problem after all). Unlike what I see in many hotel rooms and other apartments, there were ample power outlets for all the electrical equipment that an average traveler carries along nowadays.
I found all the above in ApartGENT, besides other facilities that make our lives comfortable, like dish washer, washing machine, and dryer. Their website proved very helpful while making a final choice, showing everything else worth knowing in preparation. And I can vouch that the website is truthful to reality. I particularly like the ample closet space for clothes and other stuff (hence no need using floor or suitcase for storage, like in many other places). As a bonus there are two tables. One is in the living room, next to the kitchen. And a second one is in the bedroom, very suitable for business related activities over weeks or even months.
The friendly hostess lives in the same building, and can help you with everything you want to know about the city, in addition to a lot of tourist documentation that is lying around in the apartment. And if something does not work as expected, help is nearby. For instance, a defect in my coffee maker was repaired first thing the next morning, so my caffeine addiction had nothing to complain about.
I had only one problem, after all unnecessary when I had paid more attention. One of the two bedroom windows was without mosquito nets, but I opened both the first night. I found out the hard way that this was a mistake, while several mosquito’s considered me an attractive warm blooded prey. Keeping only one window open proved more than sufficient, so this problem solved itself after day one.
All in all, I had only a very short list of comments about the apartment when I left, plus a few minor suggestions for improvement. That is unusual for me, being an experienced traveler and having seen the insides of many hotels and apartments. I see no reason why these minor things will not be changed to the better within the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JvH48
Reviewed 14 July 2011

What a surprise - lovely modern spacious rooms, excellent amenities and kitchen facilities. Easy walking distance to historic center - buses/trams even closer. Erika - very helpful and a great host. Would definitely return.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Aussie33283
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed at ApartGent in the fall of 2010. We chose Ghent because it is centrally located in Belgium, and within about an hour’s drive we could visit Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp, and other sites. In fact, we drove to Bruges on two separate days. Access to/from the national highway system from the apartment on Zuidstationstraat is quick, and you do not get tied down in traffic.

Ghent, unlike Bruges, is a living city. Bruges, on the other hand, is beautiful but overwhelmed with tourists. Ghent is a delightful town with a delightful and thriving center with many historic buildings. We were happy to find ApartGent since it is only a pleasant 10 minute walk to the center of the historic city with its many good restaurants and shops. ApartGent itself is an excellent choice for a stay in Ghent. We were there for a week. This historic building has been completely renovated by its young owners—Erika and Kristof. The apartment we had (the Jan van Eyck) was large and exceptionally well-decorated and furnished. We had a very large bedroom overlooking the owners’ interior garden. It offered high ceilings, a king-sized bed, and generous cupboard space; it was very comfortable. Also, they offer cable internet at a desk in the room with no password – just take the cable and plug it your laptop.

The living room, which was even more spacious than the bedroom, had a small table for meals and a leather couch and chairs. There was a high-quality stereo system on which we listened to our opera CDs. The living room overlooked the street, but it was quiet in spite of the traffic. We were never disturbed by traffic noise. The bath facilities had two parts – a closed toilet and a separate sink and shower room with generous storage space. The kitchen was a railway kitchen between the bedroom and the living room. It was very well equipped with modern appliances – full refrigerator, microwave, oven, and dishwasher plus an espresso maker. It had a full supply of dishes, pots and utensils. Erika has done an outstanding job decorating and furnishing the apartment. The place is immaculate and well-maintained.

There is a full supermarket in the basement floor of the shopping mall a 5-minute walk from ApartGent to the left as you leave the building--which helps if you want to eat in. As for eating out, apart from the many restaurants in the center of town—most of which have outdoor tables—there is also some bargain and decent food offered in the restaurants in the department stores in the center of town.

Our apartment was on the second European floor; there is no elevator. The only moderate issue was parking. The street on which the apartment building is located has time-limited parking, limited parking opportunities, and is expensive on a per-hour basis since it is considered to be in the city center. But go around the corner to the right and you are out of the city center zone. There is a long street on which you can park for 24 hours for €3. Most of the time, you can find parking on this street--although you might have to wait a while for someone to vacate. One night we could not find parking on that street because it was a Sunday and we had arrived back late from Brussels. We therefore parked in the city-center zone on the one-way street coming into Zuidstationstraad from the left. It cost about €10 for the overnight until 8 a.m.—if we remember correctly.

We highly recommend ApartGent and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OneFairCall
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We spent 4 weeks in one of the apartments, and I only have positive comments about the place and the owners. The apartments are large, spacious, well-equipped, stylish, and located in a wonderful part of town, 2 minutes from the centre and near everything that you could possibly need (grocery store, restaurants, bike paths, parks, shopping centre). The street is busy, but because the bedroom was in the back, there was no noise. The owners provided us with an additional single bed for our 4 year old daughter.. they are always willing to help. Super nice people, and the place is child friendly. It is fairly-priced, given it is a beautiful residence. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Describe to them what you need
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mellenbo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Beautiful apartments, big and clean. Full-equipped kitchen. Very nice for a longer stay. Very close to the bus station and shopping mall.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank violaw
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I opted for a B&B rather than the usual hotel recommendations for a large conference. Apartgent was just perfect, quiet, well situated with excellent facilities so I could cook my own meals. Paid the same price as the hotel but got far more luxurious accommodation. Also free internet which was a total bonus! I would highly recommend for a multiple day stay in Gent.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business