“you can not trust them”
Review of Garden in the City

Garden in the City
Ranked #11 of 116 Ghent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I book one month in advance this b&b and they confirmed the reservation, three days before arrival i wrote them an email confirming the arrival time and they reply ok. the day of arrival they called me at 10 am and said that I haven't room because they made a mistake, they thought it was for July instead of June, despite having written several mail confirmed the date. I was travelling with my wife and our one year old daughter and they ruined our holidays.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank llaranes

Reviewed 10 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here in the garden room for 4 nights in May during our trip to Europe.

The location was very nice and quiet. Only a 15 minute walk or so to all the attractions in downtown Gent, but far enough away at night so you can sleep without hearing anyone. Also, it is right on the bus line so if you don't want to walk you can hop on the bus. I believe they are free as well on Friday/Saturday nights after 11:30pm.

The breakfast was always generous, we were full every time, and Kurt was a very nice host. If we go back to Belgium we will definitely say here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We booked this B&B a month before we arrived along with a 10% deposit. We confirmed our booking 2.5 weeks before our arrival. The day of our arrival, we found out our reservation was canceled from Kurt.

Kurt could not do anything about the situation, we were left stranded and eventually found a solution of our own after hours of frustration along with a hefty price.

This is a review of this property in their customer service, their incompetence of handling their customer's reservations. Although I did not experience the actual property, I wish I did with all these positive reviews. I experienced the incompetency of the owners. Which has a direct relation to the property.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Frank L
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while on business in Ghent in November 2011. The accommodation consists of two rooms- one in a self contained unit at the bottom of the garden the other upstairs. Breakfast is provided at a time of your convenience (even very early in the morning ! ) and is both substantial and beautifully presented. The rooms are spacious, clean and the overall atmosphere and ambience is one of rest and relaxation. Congratulations to Laurent for such a wonderful place. I will be back again.

Room Tip: For a group of four book the whole place !
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank M_Galway_M
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Have just returned from three nights at The Garden in the City.

There are two rooms available, the quiet Garden Room, situated at the end of the garden and the larger Loft Room, situated (you guessed it) upstairs.

The house is very clean and cosy and within walking distance from the central station (about 10-15 minutes) and the centre of Gent (about 800 metres).

The hosts are very warm and welcoming and breakfast is fresh and served at a time that suits you. On their website you can choose additional breakfast requests such as English or Belgian breakfasts, though we stuck with the continental version, which was ample enough. There is a small supermarket next door which is convenient.

The rooms have air-con/heating and TV with International channels.

There are a few bars/pubs/cafes within walking distance that serve a host of Belgian and international beers, for restaurants its best to head towards the centre.

The hosts Kurt and Laurent have some good recommendations and are always available and helpful.

Would definately stay again if we were to return to Gent!

Room Tip: The Loft Room has its own small kitchen and terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Escape23
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed several times at "Garden in the city" for a couple of days and I was always very well welcomed, the house is cosy and very very clean, the owners are very friendly and helpfull and great cooks!

I stayed at the roof studio where you have a huge terrace, and a well equiped kitchen so I could cook when I wanted too I really felt home! And for the winter there is central heating that you can arange at your best convenience, cosy and warm!

This B&B is very well situated near the city center, the cinema and the university, parking available around the street or at the St Pietersplein for 2,50euro's/24hours.

I warmly recommend this place for anyone staying in Gent,

Nathalie H.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nathalie H
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I've been there few days ago and the place is fantastic!! it looks like a dream. wonderful place, quite, nice and clean room, excellent breakfast. Please, let me tell you the owner is a wonderful guy. Very nice, smart, friendly. this trip has been a dream that has come true. Thank you so much. i truly reccomd this b&b to all the people that really want to make a fantasric stay in belgium. EXCELLENT!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo