“Great location; that's about it”

Novotel Gent Centrum
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stay in Novotel hotels regularly as a business traveller and Accor member; and this one can definitely marked up as at the budget end of the brand. Great central location, but in Gent this means a nightmare if travelling in by car - plan your route carefully, and expect the unexpected (like having to go down the wrong way in a one-way or through a pedestrian precinct to get to where you need to be). The room we had was pretty tired, and the hotel can be described as 'functional'. The bar was good for a nightcap, but, and this is a big but when it comes to most Accor hotels, I provided my credit card when I checked in, but when I asked to put our drinks on my room I was told that I would have to go reception to activate a credit card - why do Accor hotels do this? I don't just give my credit card at check in to sow off that I have one!! Oh, and the hotel has an outdoor pool... whilst we were there it was clear blue skies and 26 degrees C and the pool was cordoned off, so therefore pointless.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Novotel Gent.
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to expresse my sincerest apologies.
I will discuss your comments with my team.

Sven TOUNE
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Loved this hotel. Nice outdoor pool in a beautiful courtyard, fabulous location close to lots of great restaurants, the river and other attractions, very child-friendly, very nice staff, underground parking at hotel, the only real down-side was the cost of breakfast. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time, to fill out the survey.
It is always nice to get positive feedback. I will pass the commons to the staff
I hope to welcoming you soon.
Regards
Sven TOUNE
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We decided last minute to make a weekend city trip to Ghent and made a reservation over the phone. We were very excited to arrive to such a beautiful city, but when checking in the service was not friendly and rather cold to us. We had a room for 3 persons but the extra bed was not made and we only had one towel. Overall, Novotel was a great place in terms of setting off into the city, and of course the lazy Sunday check-out was very convenient...we just would've appreciated a kinder reception.

• Stayed: August 2013
EMILE L, General Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Novotel Gent.
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to expresse my sincerest apaologies
I will discuss your comments with my team.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Lovely hotel, located right in the heart of Gent. The reception staff were lovely. The breakfast had something for everyone & was scrummy - kids especially liked the hot chocolate, the best they had had in Europe. The rooms were a good size & clean. The outdoor pool was also an added bonus especially as we had warm sunshine. We didn't get chance to use the gym/sauna but will do next time. We will definitely return. The hotel was lovely and Gent is a must see place - absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We are delighted to read that you had an excellent stay and enjoyed your visit at our hotel.
It is always encouraging to learn that guests are satisfied with our service as it is what we strive for every day.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We decided to stay in the Novotel even though it was more expensive than a lot of others (£118 a night with breakfast) because we wanted to relax by the pool as the weather was really hot. I only have good things to say about it, the staff were friendly, the room was huge, wifi was free in public areas and in the room itself and the location is really good too. If I was being picky I'd say that the television was really really small and it would have been nice to have had a bath rather than just a shower. However, we really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to write a revieuw of Novotel Gent on TripAdvisor
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hotel is well located in the old town center. The reception team are professional and helpfull. The tram station is just a 5 minute walk. The breakfast is good. The room had a good space and well cleaned. Plenty of restaurants near by.

Room Tip: We stay in room 401. Good view to the castle.
1  Thank WHL573
EMILE L, General Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Hello
It is a pleasure for me to read that you enjoyed your stay in Novotel Gent.
Hope to see you soon again .

Reviewed 20 August 2013

So I stayed at the hotel quite by accident. I booked online to stay at a different hotel (the
Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof) and did something I've never done - booked the wrong dates by accident. That turned out to be a huge problem because they were totally sold out. Still the made time to call around to find a suitable alternative and found the only room left at Novotel. We were there for the final days of the summer Ghent Festival - something we didn't even know about when planning our stay.... but I digress - The Novotel was wonderful! The gentlman who checked us in at the front reception was just delightful and really helpful. He was quite amused that we didn't know about the Festival but then proceeded to give us all sorts of wonderful advice about how best to enjoy it.

Our room was great - a odd shape but perfectly suited for our needs. The location is fantastic - so easy to see all the major sites in a day if you only had one. We had a few but spent much of that time enjoying the festival.

Our only complain was the shower was really hard to figure out and then also flooded the floor (a problem we encouter at another hotel in Belgium). I'm not sure why they designed it so water hits the floor no matter what you do). Other than that everything was awesome!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
EMILE L, General Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hello
May I offer a personel thank you for sending a revieuw of our hotel to Tripadvisor.
It is always encouraging to learn that guests are satisfied with our service.