“Nicely located, small, but clean.”

Ibis Gent Centrum Opera
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Tucson
“Nicely located, small, but clean.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Nicely located, small, but clean. The internet is free and fast. Using ping tests online, the ping was about 75ms, very good. The only complaint about this room is the small bathroom. When you sit on the toilet, one of your knees will probably touch the wall. The shower is small but manageable. Just don’t flail around or you’ll hit the shower door. One odd thing was that the tap water tasted really good. I refill my water bottle using the faucets of the hotels I stay at, and this hotel had the best taste. The staff seem professional.

To get here from St. Peters train station, you take Tram 1 to Savaanstreet. The hotel is right in front of that stop. Then it’s only a 10 minute walk to Bavos cathedral, Belfry, St. Nicholas Church, etc.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank superflunker87
Stephan V, Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay.
They are of great value to us and help us to improve our service and quality.

We will pass your remarks on to the team in order to improve communication and transparancy regarding our services.

Many thanks and I hope we'll be able to welcome you in Gent again.

Yours sincerely,

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel is in a great location - it's literally ten minutes walk up the main shopping street (Veldstraat) to get into the centre of Ghent. If you don't fancy the walk a tram stops just outside the hotel with good service by the no. 1 (between 3 and 7 minutes I found); the tram is useful for heading south too if you're interested in the SMAK (modern art) and fine arts museums which are next to each other in the Citadel Park.

My room was fine for a single traveller but I'm not sure it would have been much fun for a second person. The bed was against the wall and the bathroom barely large enough for one person. To give you an idea of this (apologies for bluntness) I've never before encountered a toilet I couldn't sit on without my legs being off at an angle! That said, I spent very little time in the room and lots of time exploring the city so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Breakfast was decent enough to stock up before the day's activities and offered cheese/ cold meats, yogurts/ fruits/ cereals, breads/ croissants/ pastries, and a limited hot element of scrambled egg/ suspicious grey sausage. Teas, coffees and fruit juices are from machines though which isn't great but with all for 12 euros it's pretty good value all the same.

The staff are very friendly and keen to help but perhaps could have been a bit more on the ball. Three things stick in my mind - firstly I wasn't given tokens for breakfast so had to abandon my food on day one to sort it out at reception. Secondly I was assured parking was as cheap at the hotel as elsewhere but found this wasn't true - 15 euros per night in a very tight car park at the hotel (most pillars had other motorists' paint on them!) but I could have parked for 13 euros/ 24hrs just round the corner and saved myself 8 - 10 euros by paying only for the hours I used. And finally, I was encouraged to pay for my room when I arrived - not something I'm used to but couldn't see any harm - but found the first night that this effectively cuts off your credit and you're then unable to order drinks or room service whilst you're staying. These are relatively minor quibbles however and the only negative parts of an otherwise fantastic short break in Ghent.

Room Tip: It's not a room tip, but if you're in Ghent for a short break I'd recommend grabbing the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Stephan V, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay.
They are of great value to us and help us to improve our service and quality.

Many thanks and I hope we'll be able to welcome you in Gent again.

Yours sincerely,

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel represents the normal Ibis style but is planned in an even more efficient way; no extra space anywhere but still the room didn't feel too small. The bathroom might be the smallest one I've seen in a hotel but that was not a problem. I really liked the bed which was well balanced. There was a good choice of TV channels.

The staff at reception were not over-attentive but nice and efficient. There were a few people waiting when I came to fetch my luggage but the lady noticed me without asking and opened the luggage room door.

The location is good. Not quite in the historical centre but a short walk towards the railway station. There are a lot of restaurants in the area and the shopping streets are close, too.

The only problem with this hotel are the thin walls. One hears practically everything from the corridor and something from neighbouring rooms which can be a problem if there are a lot of people moving to-and-fro.

Room Tip: I wouldn't take a room facing the street as there is a lot of traffic.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Stephan V, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Maril,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Gent Centrum Opera. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

general manager
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

After Brugge we move d on to Gent and the Ibis Central Opera. Another lovely city with so much to do. Stayed two nights in a typical Ibis hotel. You know what you are going to get, rooms a little smaller than others, good bathroom, fantastic bar with many Belgium monk beers. Two minutes to the centre on the tram, ten tickets for 10 euro and a city full of bars, restaurants and people who are happy to serve you near the hotel there are at least five restaurants of differing price range but all affordable. The Ibis has no restaurant but does snacks. Buffet breakfast at fourteen euros is a little steep but is is of great quality. Last night went through the beer menu and the Trappist beers nearly turned me into a friar. A hotel and city well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr Sparkes,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
I'm very pleased to receive your compliments and will pass them on to our team, it 'll help them
in the continous effort to improve our quality & sevice.

I hope you'll visit us soon again !

Best regards,

Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I Liked this hotels as this is located near the old town and has good connectivity of the trams.
the old Ghent city is very scienic lots of restaurants and bars near by sitting besides the river in the evening is very good.

the hotel has a small cafe which is good for short business meetings.

easy to travel from the Ghent station.

Room Tip: well not much option here
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ankit M
Stephan V, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Ankit,